Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
1,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was on my way home from work last night, driving home like usual. I stopped at a red light, then turned right. The shift from first to second was fine and so was second to third. But then I pushed in the clutch, grabbed the shift knob and dropped it to fourth, let out the clutch and.....nothing. It just revved. Luckily I was up to 50 at this point and a big parking lot was coming up, so I moved over to the left land and hung a left into the lot and parked it under a big light.

Thanks to all my time spent on FF, I knew exactly what to do. I popped the hood, took off my SRI, reached down to the tranny, and popped the shift cables back on. When I get a chance, I'm going to do the zip tie thing to make sure it doesn't happen again.

Just wanted to say thanks to everybody on here, if it wasn't for this site I would have had no clue what to do and probably would've had to get towed somewhere to get it taken care of

[loveff]

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
SAME THING happened to me a few weeks ago haha. except mine was hung in 3rd gear. i had to drive it about 5 miles in 3rd gear until i could pull over to fix it. i didnt know what was wrong until i pulled the airbox out and saw the cable had backed out of the bracket. glad you got yours going!

·
coffee, have some
5,971 Posts
i hear you dude, this site kicks ass in the knowledge department. i've saved myself some serious headache and money just by going here every day and learning stuff, even if it doesn't apply to you.

great job, good memory too lol

·
I.S.A.I.K.I.
5,413 Posts
I'm paranoid now about mine. I'm going to check before I leave work today! It could be the source of some stupid rattling around 3k too. Hmmm.

·
Banned
1,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
haha yeah unfortunately mine popped once it got to neutral but I got soooo lucky that there was like no traffic and I was able to jump over three lanes, make a left turn, and make it to a lighted spot with no drive lol.

It made it soooo much easier being able to just take my short ram off to get to it vs a stock airbox or a CAI. I'm glad I didn't have my cold air on right now lol.

I'm surprised it took this long to happen though, and hopefully this means it won't happen again for a while. But it was a very bad bad feeling when I felt the shifter go limp and my car just revving when it appeared to be in gear based on the position of the shifter.....I was almost disappointed in my car lol

Again though, this site is awesome. Without it I would have been stranded in a dark parking lot in a slight drizzle 30 minutes away from home with a bum SVT Focus haha

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
thats the only problem ive had with mine in 2 years of ownership. i replaced the oem clutch at 85,000 miles so i cant bitch about that. ive only spent $800 on it since ive owned it and ive put about 45,000 miles on it so i would say that my svt = ftw.

·
Banned
1,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
oh definitely SVT = FTMFW, but broken immobile SVT = FTL lol

No worries though, she was up and running after 5 min [:D]

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Is there a link that shows how to do this? Are any tools required? Now y'all have me worried. haha

·
Banned
1,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
there's really nothing to worry about, it just happened to me for the first time in 40k miles lol. but basically if your shifter gets really loose and you can't shift gears you have to take your intake out and on the back of the tranny between it and the firewayy there are cables with a white chunk of plastic on the end. You have to grab that and push it toward the tranny, and t will clip onto a peg that is spring loaded. You'll push it and it'll go into the tranny like half an inch and when you let go of it it'll pop back out and your shift cables are hooked back on. If it happens and you feel like it you can zip tie it so it won't ever pop of again...I'm going to do it when I get unlazy lol

1 - 10 of 10 Posts