Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being a Junior in college (Mechanical Engineering), this thread may not move as steadily or as rapidly as the other choice built threads on this forum, primarily John's, Nick's, Turbo Turtles, Marty's, or Mr. Braun's. However, I'm in the process of putting together a mutt Focus Power kit to adapt to a Comp. Orange SVT (because everyone on here knows that Orange cars make the most power [rofl] ). The goal is, in spring, when my SVT comes out of its winter hibernation, it'll be towed to McNews to get my setup tuned.

Goals are about 260-270whp on stock internals, or until the stock clutch grenades, whichever comes first. (Depending on funds after the setup is complete, a clutch/flywheel may just land in aswell.) Nevertheless, its onto the parts a already have. Some of which are subject to change.

Focus Power Stainless Log Manifold
- Has cracked before, which the previous owner did a very, well, "filling" job of "fixing". Another small hairline crack is forming at the #1 runner, both of which are getting ground down and rewelded soon. After rewelding, the manifold is going to be painted silver in VHT Flameproof paint, or treated with Sterling JetHot, funds permitting.

Garrett T3 Super 60, .61 A/R
- A Garrett edition of the T3 Super 60. When I got the turbo it was decently dirty, so I semi-polished the compressor wheel and did a very light port and polish (very light, removed casting) on the inlet mouth. Shaft play is nonexistent, and turbo mileage is around 1500 miles.

Turbonetics Evolution Wastegate w/Focus Power Recirc. Tube
- Evo Wastegate with 10 psi spring, repolished housing with brand new gaskets and brand new stainless steel mounting bolts on the recirculation tube and mounting flange. This picture also shows the EGT probe in the third runner, and the turbo loosely fitted.

Focus Power 2.5" Zetec Downpipe
- More Focus Power proven parts, a true 2.5" downpipe. I coated it with DEI silicone spray for now, but after I get the wideband O2 bung welded in, it'll be wrapped in DEI heat wrap.

K&N RE390 3" Air Filter
- Filter of choice, nothing fancy here, no ITGs or anything, just a brand new filter.

Trubendz 2.5" Zetec Flex
- Since this was an old zetec made kit, this is a zetec flex to keep the exhaust flanged correctly. The SVT header, CFM highflow cat and SVT flex on my car now will all be sold and ditched in the conversion to a Zetec exhaust.

Bell Front Mount Intercooler
- 27x6x2.5" Front Mount. Still really undecided if I went with the right one, will probably switch this out in favor of a bigger intercooler. But I got a good deal on it when my buddy decided not to use it on a build of his SE-R.

All New Gaskets and Silicone Vacuum Hose from ATP Turbo

Greddy Type S Blow Off Valve
- Tried and True BOV. Enough said.

FR Green Top 42lb Injectors
- Came with the kit, will probably sell and step up to 60 pounders.

Autometer UltraLite Gauges
- To match the existing water temp and bolt gauges in the car now. Boost will be mounted Hillyard and HaveBlue style over the steering column, and EGT will be plumbed into the 3 pillar pod I already have.

Hallman Manual Boost Controller
- MBC with in cab cable and boost control. A MBC with in cab adjustability, saw one work in person in a 1G DSM that went high 12s, so I should be fine with this little guy.

And the powerplant this is all going to cram into.

I have some piping that came with the kit in the garage, no pictures of it. I can only really use a couple of the bends, so almost all of the charge piping will be custom.
Existing boost friendly mods already on the car are as follows-
All 3 VF Mounts
CFM Intake Couplers and Billet DSI Clip
Gates Blue Racing Timing Belt
JayRacing PCV Plate
CFM 67mm Throttle Body
MBRP 2.5" Catback
Tom's Tune (N/A, but I have a Predator for the Turbo, so I can flash)
180 Deg. Thermostat

HTP 3" Blowthrough Tube and -10AN Stainless Oil Drain with Earl's Fittings are in the mail and on their way. She's coming together though! Comments and suggestions are more than welcome.

·
Premium Member
4,739 Posts
Hey that looks like my old flex pipe :) but everything is looking good

·
aka The Wizard
8,950 Posts
looking good man...

and dont worry about time...

my V6 swap has taken over a year and i'm still not done yet.

so it's all good. keep us posted on the build.

·
I AM DA FOCI FANATIC
3,715 Posts
This will be interesting look forward to some good reading...

·
Registered
672 Posts
If was you would drop the 42lb inj and save yourself money and time and get the 60lb right off the bat. Also look into getting BAP just for safety. Also invest in a good Wideband A/F. If you find some extra money look at J&S. Your engine is the most prize possession and if you want to not hurt it safety first. The power will come with time.
Good Luck

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea Fonsz, that was the original plan, 60 pounders, AEM wideband, and a J&S. Just need to piece the piping together first. It'll come together more in the winter months, when the car is parked.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Yea Fonsz, that was the original plan, 60 pounders, AEM wideband, and a J&S. Just need to piece the piping together first. It'll come together more in the winter months, when the car is parked.
AEM will do the job but you might want to look at others. Also don't for get about your drivetrain. You will be a clucth after the dyno so get the stuff before the dyno. I'm just passing this information off because when I was where you are starting NO one told me about the clutch and flywheel or LSD.

·
Fins Up!
4,843 Posts
looks very nice [thumb]

it is cool to so many focus builds lately. i should be restarting mine soon in my search for the elusive low 11 sec focus.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Small update, I just ordered a Steeda Battery Relocation kit from C-F-M, this is something I've wanted to do for a long while now, just didn't have the time. I'm hoping with the Optima gone, my stab at some custom charge piping will be a little bit easier. Pics will ensue this weekend if it shows up at my parents house by then, and I get home to get it done.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The parts list is continuing to grow. I ended up opting out of the batter relocation. HTP 3" MAF tube is in the mail somewhere, and so is my intercooler piping from intercooler, behind the headlight to MAF tube. I took a bit more time on a weekend home from school to clean up some more parts.

DEI silicone coated wastegate recirculation tube and polished Turbonetics Evo Wastegate.

Here are a couple better pics of the heart of the powerplant. The Focus Power cornerstone, T3 Super 60.

You can see my attempt at a light port on the inlet mouth, and a very shrill attempt at a polish on the compressor housing. For an rookie attempt at polishing cast aluminum, it wasn't bad. But if anyone has ever tried to polish anything cast, the pits never stop, so try not to remove much material. I quit trying as I saw I wasn't getting far. You can also see my new -10 AN drain flange in there too.

Inlet and Throttle body charge piping, or atleast a start. The throttle body elbow is a Focus Power elbow, 2.5" which will connect to the HTP MAF tube, assuming I ever see it. (Ordered 2 MONTHS ago, [slap] )

A shot of the intercooler piping I very luckily picked up when Tom put a big lot of it on ebay when he was cleaning out his shop. That pipe leads to a CXRacing 27x6x2.5 intercooler. Anyone think thats going to be too small? Thats what I thought would be sized best for an SVT bumper, as the lower opening isn't optimal for a larger intercooler, although I know that the looong core with this one isn't best intercooler speaking either. It kinda reminds me of the intercoolers both used on Xios kits, and the stage 2 Focus Sport kits, so I'm hoping this will work fairly well.

Miscellaneous charge piping that was in the lot of pipes I received from Focus Power. Notables are from intercooler to that mid CAI location, Xios compressor to intercooler piping, and a couple other pipes with some mandrel bends. Also scored a spare downpipe from a Focus Power kit. If anyone needs any of these pipes for there builds PM me and I'll let them go. Like I said earlier, I only really needed the compressor to intercooler for my setup.

More shots of the boss Autometer gauges. Water temp and volts are already in the car, so this should complete the gauges, all except for the J&S knock gauge that I'll probably order last after the hard parts are done.

I almost forgot to mention, Microsoft live cashback is up to 30% (search on google to learn more) so I got an AEM wideband ordered and in the mail last week for $168 shipped. [headbang]

-10 AN oil drain line. Ready to be chopped down when I bolt everything up. Looking forward to never having to replace drain lines or deal with any leaking ones!

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Minor update. Even though no one reads this thread. HAHA. AEM Wideband and Diablo MAFIA will be at the house this week. Shes almost done!

·
coooookie monster
7,570 Posts
how long have you been collecting parts? i was thinking of doing somthing similar over the winter also

·
Fins Up!
4,843 Posts
so are you installing this stuff as it comes in or are you just saving it all up and installing it all at once?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, the car goes into the garage Saturday, and it's going to sit all winter while I drive my winter beater. So parts are going on it and being mocked up over the course of the winter. With pictures.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
To any of the bigger players out there, do you think my intercooler will be good enough for 280whp? also, what whp range do the 42lb injectors make at? I can't find the thread that those values were in.

·
Registered
708 Posts
AeroFury, I just want to thank you for keeping all this info and being so neat about it.

This will really help me when i play on putting together/building turbo kit on my svt next summer!

Keep up the great work and good luck!

·
I AM DA FOCI FANATIC
3,715 Posts
You can make up to i think 260whp with the stock fuel system and #42's.

After that the fuel PSI starts to drop, and its just not safe.

You can make modifications and still use #42 up to 300whp, such as a BAP.

I would contact Tom or John (03orangesvt) they can make fuel PSI higher in the tune without BAP.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
i have been following this and its looks like you are moving right along

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
alrite josh, gettin into the FI field.. we'll have to have a photoshot in the spring. I also got big plans[}:)]

1 - 20 of 25 Posts