Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Focus SVT Turbo
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was curious if anyone out there has installed one of these turbos or had any experience with them. They seem to be an excellent (albeit pricey) solution for low RPM boost.

·
Premium Member
6,442 Posts
Going way back on this one. I had one for a little while....I didn't make it off the dyno. What are you looking to know about it?

Out of curiosity, where did you find one?

·
Registered
2003 Focus SVT Turbo
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Going way back on this one. I had one for a little while....I didn't make it off the dyno. What are you looking to know about it?

Out of curiosity, where did you find one?
I saw an advert on a Tuning site, went to their website and read up on the product. Seemed like a great idea with the low RPM boost, self-contained oil, no blow-off or turbo timer required...just thought, "Why haven't I seen or heard more people using this?" I noticed they are twice the price of a Garrett...
Why didn't you make it off the dyno?

·
Premium Member
6,442 Posts
I'd be surprised if the site you found it on still had it available.

I didn't make it off the dyno because we leaned out too much and melted 2 pistons. Not entirely sure what happened, but it could have been a number of things. I had bought the kit used.

·
Registered
2003 Focus SVT Turbo
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd be surprised if the site you found it on still had it available.

I didn't make it off the dyno because we leaned out too much and melted 2 pistons. Not entirely sure what happened, but it could have been a number of things. I had bought the kit used.
Oh, well I saw it on the Aerocharger website...so I assume its still available...lol. They seems to cater to motorcycles and snowmobiles, but actually have a couple kits out. None for a focus though.

·
Premium Member
6,442 Posts
perhaps we aren't talking about the same aerocharger. There was an old turbo kit for the focus that was an aerocharger. The turbo was 'remote' and actually sat where the flex pipe is. It was a very unique system.
Here is a reasonably new thread talking about it:http://forums.focaljet.com/forced-i...-aerocharger-turbos-anyone-familiar-them.html

or if you google aerocharger focus, there will be quite a few hits that come up.

·
Premium Member
8,343 Posts
wow.. that is old school.. i remember first reading about it.. wasnt most of the power under 200 that people were making?

·
Premium Member
6,442 Posts
I hit 220....but that may be why I didnt drive off the dyno. haha

·
FF Affiliate
31,092 Posts
The aerocharger was a POS , sorry but it was and I warned people not to run them with no tuning ,
Aerocharger added a 5th injector and a control module and thought by throwing fuel at it that that was " tuned " it wasnt and LOT of them blew the engine or killed the turbo because excessive heat from to much timing , engine knocked like crazy

Once you removed the 5th injector things got better but if you added mods like header , bigger exh the aerocharger got very inconsistent on boost from wot to wot and it didnt like the boost raised much or it would eat it self

Corky took it over and replaced it with a gt28 but it was laggy and he sold that off to another company that tried to sell the kit but it failed

Stay far away from the the aerocharger for the focus its junk

Tom

·
Registered
2003 Focus SVT Turbo
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
perhaps we aren't talking about the same aerocharger. There was an old turbo kit for the focus that was an aerocharger. The turbo was 'remote' and actually sat where the flex pipe is. It was a very unique system.
Here is a reasonably new thread talking about it:http://forums.focaljet.com/forced-i...-aerocharger-turbos-anyone-familiar-them.html

or if you google aerocharger focus, there will be quite a few hits that come up.
I believe its the same thing. The Aerochager website is still up and they are still making them, I think the early kits were made by Aerodyne, and that's who closed their doors. I was only curious if there was anyone with first hand experience with the Aerocharger turbo based on the websites claims of the product. (link to the overview: http://aerocharger.com/aerochargers/ )

·
Registered
2003 Focus SVT Turbo
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The aerocharger was a POS , sorry but it was and I warned people not to run them with no tuning ,
Aerocharger added a 5th injector and a control module and thought by throwing fuel at it that that was " tuned " it wasnt and LOT of them blew the engine or killed the turbo because excessive heat from to much timing , engine knocked like crazy

Once you removed the 5th injector things got better but if you added mods like header , bigger exh the aerocharger got very inconsistent on boost from wot to wot and it didnt like the boost raised much or it would eat it self

Kenny bell took it over and replaced it with a gt28 but it was laggy and he sold that off to another company that tried to sell the kit but it failed

Stay far away from the the aerocharger for the focus its junk

Tom
And...that's all I need to know about it then! lol, thanks Tom.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts