Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Fear the TurboSnail!
6,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay I've had my AEM wideband for a few years now. Its is consantly reading 14.8 nothing more nothing less. Possible issues? I'm thinking wireharness. If so anyone know where to get one fairly inexpensive? [wrenchin]

·
Fear the TurboSnail!
6,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep does not change what so ever?

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
When i first hooked mine up i didnt plug it into the sensor and got that same reading.

I do know that when you first hook it up it heats up the sensor and if you remove it and hook it up outside the car the tip of the sensor gets hot.

What about the plugs in the back behind the gauge?

The exhaust gets pretty hot i can see wires melting and shorting easy.

·
Boost Addict
2,628 Posts
Think it might be a bad 02 sensor.....

Which bung in the downpipe do you have it in? I run mine in the second one. Thinking I should switch it to the 3rd one for better longevity.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
if the sensor is disconnected the gauge will always read 14.7. or possibly 14.8 i guess. i would look for damaged wiring or something not hooked up.

as for wiring contact AEM. there site lists the power/ground/output pigtail but not the sensor wiring.

·
Registered
514 Posts
There are two shortcomings with AEM's YouTube test.

The first is that not all brake cleaners will trigger a rich reading with their test. I found that putting gasoline on the rag is more accurate.

Second, a bad gauge can mimic what a bad O2 sensor does. I know this because I bought a new sensor only to discover that the whole gauge was shot. It was a $70 mistake.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
There are two shortcomings with AEM's YouTube test.

The first is that not all brake cleaners will trigger a rich reading with their test. I found that putting gasoline on the rag is more accurate.

Second, a bad gauge can mimic what a bad O2 sensor does. I know this because I bought a new sensor only to discover that the whole gauge was shot. It was a $70 mistake.
And i did the same thing, so im trying to get him to remove it because it will be cheaper to test it on a bench where he can look at it, touch the sensor and see if its heating and make sure that there isnt any melted or cut wires.

It still could be a bad gauge or sensor but rather then spending another $70. only to find out its something else.

IMO AEM shouldnt of made it read 14.7 if the sensor isnt hooked up or working. IMO thats kinda deceiving. Why not display something other then "the perfect value"

1 - 9 of 9 Posts