Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok i am about to buy the aem cai intake and put it in my 01 zx3. Its set up to where no engine lights will come on or i wont screw over my warranty right? I mean i signed a thing saying if anything i do to the car (parts wise) screws it up my warranty is void.

Anyone have any other suggestions on intakes? like brand and what not.

·
Registered
565 Posts
hah. it's aight. i missed it too.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
hmm, i'd recommend the volant instead. some people have had bad luck with the AEM because it makes you take apart the MAF sensor. IMO, that sensor shouldn't be screwed with. you also risk sucking up water into your engine, even with the bypass valve. if you want the intake that will give you the least hassle warranty-wise, go iceman. ford sells that one through ford racing, so they'd be hard-pressed to tell you that it screwed up your car.

Mike

·
Registered
697 Posts
personal exp here. i had aem cai its SHIT. and im got a fc volant clone on the way.

·
Registered
10,024 Posts
you got the FC and your saying the AEM is SH!T, AEM looks nice and is way more better quality than the FC, id take my old AEM over the FC anyday, there wasnt anypower difference that iv ever noticed either

·
Registered
697 Posts
i ahd the aem, i did'nt like it at all, its point less to have a aem cai with a bypass cause it only sucks air in form that joint instead of the cone outside the engine bay. now if you were to use with out this elbo filter yes it a "show" looking product looks nice, but still i'd got with a volant or fc clone anyday i think. ecspecially where im a ram hood boy! lol

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
what kind of cheap ass bypass valve were you using.I have aem cai and aem bypass valve and i have not had a problem like that.It sucks the air from the main filter like it is suppost to.I just can't see how a stock looking (as fas coming with a box) intak in you hot ass engine bay can gain that much hp.Now i admeit i do not know that much about the volant or the ice man.Could some one tell me about them.I was a little nerves before i got the aem cai, knowing that the filter was going to be close to the ground but i have had it on now for 12,000 miles and here in the south with our fludding and tornado weather i still and hope i never will have a problem.

·
Registered
10,024 Posts
you ram air? heh, anyhow the Volant and ICEMAN are the better,the FC is just crap though, they did a crap job on the fiberglass work andthe coating on it sux, the tubing isobviously just some pipe they cut, no bends or anything, very cheaply made........

·
Registered
281 Posts
I thought the Bypass valve on the AEM and similar COld air intakes only get to work once your engine is in fear of sucking up water. Isn't that what they're made for?

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
the fc does have a poor build quality but good design. u should make a hole in the other side of the box when u get it and run some dryer hose behind ur headlight.

the bypass valve on the aem is really just another chunk of filter. it can suck in water from every direction if the water is there. ray at www.myfordperformance.com made a shield for it that looks great. id suggest getting that and a bypass to be safe. the aem has had probs from the maf for SOME people but it looks good and performs well on the dyno....

ill still take my volant tho :p

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I guess i am the lucky one that has not had any problems out of the aem cai.I do have a heat shield on the main filter to keep from water splashing diretly on it.I don't know if it helps but it makes me fell better anyways.By the way my bypass valve has rubber tabs that keep it closed untill the main filter gets cloged.The bypass is not like the cheap filter looking ones like on ebay.It is allso on top of the engine right next to the coil.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts