Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
OMGVTAK!
60,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My filter is really dirty and I need to know if I need a special cleaning kit or what. If I need the kit where can I get it from?
Thanks.

·
Registered
236 Posts
is it a K&n filter??? If it is K&N, any auto parts store that sells k&n products will sell the cleaning kit specially designed for their filters they only cost $30 CAN. Really easy to do too

·
Registered
118 Posts
I have a AEM cold air intake, and the filters need too be replaced, can't clean them. Kinda sucks because they are hard to get since AEM make different sizes of filter, you have to know the right size and width.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Like your quote saids "Don't half ass it!!!
Do it right the first time!!"

Buy a new filter !!

·
OMGVTAK!
60,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No it's the AEM filter. I thought that they sold cleaning kits for it?

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
as long as it is a CLOTH filter that is meant to be cleaned, the K&N kit will work.

latingeo, BUY A NEW FILTER? are you kidding me? who wants to spend $30-$45 every 15K or so when you can save your money and clean it? comes out looking and working just as good as new so long as you don't tear it.

Mike

·
OMGVTAK!
60,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So your saying that I can use the K & N cleaning kit to clean my AEM filter?
I'm just making sure.

·
OMGVTAK!
60,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's cloth.
What if I just got a K & N filter to replace it would that work?

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Argh, the AEM's stock cone filter is reusable, just use the K&N reoiling kit and clean it. The only filters that are mainstream that I know of, that are foam, is the ITG. *shrug*. I'm sure aem's website sells a cleaning kit. I think it's advanced engine management.com or something to that nature.

·
OMGVTAK!
60,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I went there (www.aempower.com) and it doesn't show me how much it is.
My filter looks dirty and it's only been on there for 9,500 miles.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
k&n kit will work. i just buy new filters when mine needs to be clean tho. right now im tryin figure out if i can manipulate the itg filter into my volant

·
OMGVTAK!
60,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you, Euro. Your just the man I wanted to answer my question.
But another thing is, on AEM's website, they are telling me that I can only use their cleaning kits. Which I know that they are just trying to get me to buy it.
But can I just go and buy a K&N filter to replace it?

·
Registered
10,024 Posts
AEM uses K&N fitlers, or atleast the first gen did, mine even said K&N on it, the kit will work, yes you should be able to replace it w/ a K&N, most intake cone filters can be used w/ other tubes

·
OMGVTAK!
60,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you finally. That's probably what I might do.
Thanks, Mofocus.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
lame aem tryin to lie to make more money.

a new k&n should do ya fine. some places, if u look around, will sell the filter and the recharge kit in a combo package

·
Registered
48 Posts
Yes Mofocus is right. The filter that comes with the intake is a rebadged K&N. Do not buy a new filter. Why toss out the cash? Get the cleaning kit at your local autostore and just follow the steps. They will clean up just fine. They might not look colowise like they are new when you are done cleaning, but it will clean it up - which is what you want.

I had a AEM for 1yr and cleaned the filter every oilchange as well. That often is not necessary, but I figured since I was at it and had the car jacked up, I might as well do it.

Again, get a cleaning kit and don't piss your money away for a new filter, since there is absolutly no reason for that.

ollie

Just to clarify again - AEM does the same to their KN filters, as Steeda does to their Borla exhausts. They pay the manuf the extra cash, which allows them to put their company name on the product, rather than the manufaturers name.

·
Registered
10,024 Posts
hmm they may now, but the filter on the AEM i had and just sold was a K&N and had K&N stamped on the top of it

·
OMGVTAK!
60,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Didn't you buy that one used?
Cause mine says AEM on it.
I realize that it probably is just a rebadged K&N.
And I'm gonna get the cleaning kit tomorrow.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts