Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, hate for this to be my first post here. I have been lurking for a while getting ideas for the car, a 2014 Focus SE, and once done I was going to introduce it here, but....

After waiting for a month for the AEM/ K&N dry filter, I finally installed it on Friday. I had already preformed the snorkel delete and replaced it with a ST duct inlet for OEM appearance. Anyway, after installing the filter, I took it for a drive around to see how it feels. As I was getting home, I came to a stoplight and put the car in neutral, manual tranny, and the idle starting to hang and then slowly revved up to about 1500 rpm and hanged there for about 15 secs and dropped down and stumbled. I chalked it up to ECM learning and called it a night. Saturday came and did some errands, same thing except it was not doing it consistently. It was on and off coming to a stop. I did both in slowly down in neutral and slowly down in gear as low rpm as possible. Sometimes it will do it and sometimes it didn't[???:)].

So I came to the trusty focus fanatics for a search and I guess it was either to broad or it was to specific at times and didn't really find something close to what my car was doing. I did manage to find something that the engine does that when it has a vaccum leak somewhere. Either way, I reinstalled the filter to make sure it was installed right with no air gaps and reset the ECM to make sure. Didn't really use it right away since we took my wifes car on Sunday to run around in.

Which brings us to today. At first it looked like the reset fixed it as I dorve to work, but it did it again when I drove into the parking lot.

Sorry for the long winded post, but as prior experience on forums, the more details, the better. Anyone else experienced this on thier filter swap? I haven't swapped in the OEM one in since I want to hear youse guys input first. Car has 500 miles if that's important. Thanks ahead of time.

Oscar

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
I'm sorry i own a DCT so i might not be a huge help here but i feel like i have read something about rev hang with these cars with the manual. i think it's normal and from what i read a tune will fix the problem. i could be way off though and i have no idea if it's related. you might try putting the stock filte back in and see if it still does it.

·
Registered
952 Posts
You might try putting the stock filte back in and see if it still does it.
This! In my limited knowledge, a drop-in isn't going to make such a difference, at least not on it's own. Try the stock filter again and watch for the hang. I doubt it's something you neeeeed a tune for.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I installed an AEM drop in filter the other day, and I got the same issue with revs hanging between shifts.

I put the stock Motorcraft filter back in, and everything was back to normal. My Focus is a 2014 S that is stock with 5,100 miles.

·
Rubber Side Down
2,415 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Well, its pretty ******g annoying especially from someone with low post count.
Agreed. I hope no one shows up to this annoying kids thing.

OP: Could it be that the car has always done this and you never noticed? Some cars idle higher when in motion (ie putting it in neutral while still rolling) in order to make shifts smoother

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
now that i think about it i have some rev hang with my car with the green filter drop in and i have a DCT. is the AEM open ended? i was wondering if that was what was causing mine. i ordered the end cap for my filter. should be here tomorrow, i'll see if it changes anything.

·
Registered
7 Posts
now that i think about it i have some rev hang with my car with the green filter drop in and i have a DCT. is the AEM open ended? i was wondering if that was what was causing mine. i ordered the end cap for my filter. should be here tomorrow, i'll see if it changes anything.
The AEM is closed on the end just like the stock Motorcraft filter.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts