Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
I had the iceman and the AEM CAI. The iceman was nice, but I didn't regred switch to the AEM CAI. The sound the AEM puts out is awesome, and according to the butt dyno, gave you a lil better pull in the mid-high rpms.

I ran a KN panel with the iceman, and a KN cone witht he AEM. Also, to protect the AEM filter from water I used a splash shield and bypass valve as well. Some people say bypass valves don;t do jack, but I added it to be sure. Peace of mind I guess.

I sold my AEM and got the Injen Gen1 race division. Probably my fav. I see it this way...it's an intake. get which ever one you like best, since the gains will pretty much all be the same. If there is a 2hp difference you will not notice it. anythign other than stock is better.

Also note, if you ever wanna add a 70mm mafs than the AEM will not be your way to go, since there is no way to conect the 70mm mafs to the tubing. So in this case you would be better off getting a iceman or volant.

but as I said...all of the named intakes are great. flip a coin if you have to ;)

ollie

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
well panel filter will never sound the same as a cone... the aem and the injen are the same design so im not too sure why u switched but anyway...

the aem has probs, replaces the stock maf housing, not upgradable for maf, and the filter location is bad. it gets dirty fast, and if u live anywhere it rains u have a good chance at suckin up water and ruining ur engine. happened to 2 of my friends and one other person on the old forum. ray at myfordperformance.com has a ram air weather shield that will help it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
the reason I switched was cuz of 2 things...

1. You answered by yourself - cuz of the filter location. Instead of the filter being almost horizontal to the ground between the wheel well liner and the bumper, the injen is located higher between the front bumper and the tranny in a vertical angle. Therfore less chance of it gettin as dirty as the aem and water gettin sucked in.

2. Looks - just looks better than the AEM.

and as I said before...anything is better than the the stock intake. Yes I have some major mods lined up, but even after talking to Tom and several other buddies with major engine work, no problem should occure by using the injen. And I really see no reason for a bigger mafs. So the injen was the perfect match for the way I wanna go.

also - it's not the same design, but the same idea behind it. But that's the same thing with every long tube CAI.

hope that clears it up

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
well the reason for new maf's would be to calibrate them for engine management aka MIC which consists of the maf, injectors, and chip all being calibrated and tuned together... so pretty much, if you get or need larger injectors, your car wont be runnin right.

a 70mm maf doesnt really make more hp (although it seems to show on a dyno) but "allows" u to make more.

·
Registered
48 Posts
a chip should do the job of controlling the injectors just fine....at least that is what I have been told by several people...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts