Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just got my 04 SVT, the last owner installed an AEM cold air intake. When i shift there is a short whistle, (sounds something like a bov), i dont really mind. When the engine is revving from 3k-4k at medium to full throtle there is an annoying whine, (sounds like an old train on an old track). i asked a friend who was a tech @ a ford dealership, couldn't give me an answer, but did recomend taking the AEM intake out and putting the stock SVT one. any ideas???

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
ive got a short ram, and i hear the bov like sound, but mine doesnt wine. You may want to check all the hose clamps, make sure there is no leaks.

·
Retired Fanatic
20,000 Posts
Usually intake whistling is due to an air leak in the couplings (rubber ones) or an 'imperfect' seal at the TB. Check, if not, reinstall the entire intake and make sure all the rubber seals are COMPLETELY sealed properly. That should make the whistle go away for you.

Welcome to FocusFanatics.com!! [thumb]

·
Banned
7,946 Posts
uhh, every open element intake i have ever installed has had a whistle. this includes various brands of intakes and many different makes and models. and i dont have air leaks. after you have confirmed that there are no leaks, enjoy the whistle. its just the sound of much needed air getting sucked into the TB. the stock airboxes hide this sound. and with an open element intake, the sound is let loose. but if you dont like it, throw some dirt on your filter to clog it up a bit, and the sound will go away. this is simply cause you are restricted the air flow just like the OEM box did.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Also, if you have the stock Throttle Body, its got a little slit where when the air passes by it, it causes a "whistle."

·
my car breaks!
2,103 Posts
^^^ correct, personally i wouldn't worry about it..

hey you can impress your dumber friends and make them think you have a turbo and a supercharger! LMAO

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
Yep, the brief whistle you hear is caused by the throttle body. It is due to the shape of the butterfly, it is V shaped on top. As for the whine, you got me on that one. Maybe take it to a SVT certified dealer and have them look at it, couldn't hurt.

·
Banned
7,946 Posts
i play with my whistle[:0] before i blew up my stang, i would make it "breathe" going down the road. suck in and then blow off. going down the highway, i would play with the throttle.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts