Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I've asked about intakes for the SPI and I've been told that the AEM cold air intake for the 2.0 zetec will "fit" the SPI if you make it fit and add some extra hose to it. Does anyone have or know where to find a "how to" for this procedure? Or has anyone done that could explain pretty much step by step for me or have pictures of an install? Any little bit would help. Thanks![thumb]

·
FF Cleaning Squad
11,959 Posts
You dont have to add extra hose to it, you have to modify the boot that sits on the throttle body. Its realy simple all you have to do is trim the extra lip thats originaly made for the larger Zetec TB and then it will fit perfectly.

I belive mounting brackets might need to be adjusted b/c they are in diffrent locations for the Zetec but I could be wrong.

Now I hope you have intentions on buying a bypass valve to go with this intake b/c if you ever suck any water up you can kiss you engine good buy. The bypass valve is a secondary filter that sits in the engine bay so that if the bottom filter becomes to wet or submerged in water it will start sucking air from their instead and save your ass.

Jon

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
^^ He lives in San Diego, CA... I highly doubt he will be driving through enough rain to hydrolock.

There are two other options beside a Bypass Valve-
-Hydrosleeve (or whatever it's called which might decrease the preformance of the filter)
- Simply adding an elbow to the end of the AEM system so that the filter is not facing the incomming rain from the lower grille, all you have to worry about is a deep puddle. (I know of someone who did this and fit it so that the filter sits right next to the opening under the side markers of the Roush bumper)

·
Registered
461 Posts
it's so unlikely you will suck up ANY water into your engine anyway though ... I need to get a hyrosleeve thing, because occasionally it has been raining like crazy up here & my filter is starting to rust (I didn't have a splashguard for a month and a half) plus sometimes the enigne stalls a little when it rains (not enough air coming through; water on the filter). Unless you stop in a puddle, and then hit the gas you won't have problems with it. The elbow suggested above is a great idea if you can make it fit, as would be some kind of plexiglass shield maybe? I looked into some thigns, but am settling on a hydro sleeve from c-f-m I think; as soon as I get my new K&N filter. Just push the elbow onto your throttle body; i cut mine off & it fits perfect; but now I bought a BDR throttle body & wish I hadn't done so. Don't limit yourself in the future to get something to fit now.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow a LOT of good help thanks a bunch....I'll look into ways of dealing with when it rains once every five months or so..

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
just uh just dont drive in the rain. take a cab. san diego rules. for serious. i love it. hey, hi.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah that's probably safer freakin San Diego drivers freak out if somebody SPITS on the highway let alone if it rains

·
Thread Killer
2,711 Posts
NvyGuardsman said:
yeah that's probably safer freakin San Diego drivers freak out if somebody SPITS on the highway let alone if it rains
^^^Quoted for truth...lol

I had a 02' SPI sedan back in the day and I'll tell you right now that you'll hydrolock if you're not carefull! I almost did. I had the BOMZ CAI.

If you like I can help you on the install. I know the ins and outs on riging up a CAI. I think I had it down to like 30mins or so...lol

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
Instead of cutting the boot, turn it around to where the throttle body part goes over the intake tube. That way if you ever want to sell it, it will work for Zetecs or SPIs.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Trav-E2.0 said:
If you like I can help you on the install. I know the ins and outs on riging up a CAI. I think I had it down to like 30mins or so...lol [/B]

Well my car's in the shop right now...got in a bit of a fender bender, but when it gets out I'll give you a PM and we'll do some work, have a couple beers and watch some football or something what do ya say?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Trav-E2.0 said:
I say for shizzile hommie [grinking]!

Where abouts in SD are you?
I live in Lakeside, which is up off the 67...it will probably be a few weeks though cuz my focus is in the shop....some idiot stopped in front of me on the high way and her front end is a little mangled :eek:(

·
Thread Killer
2,711 Posts
That's perfectly fine. I'm willing to wait. I know you have first dibs on that gauge cluster so untill you get your car back and such, I'll stop bumping it up in the for sale forum [thumb]. Once you get the car back you can prolly cruise up and I'll help wit teh CAI install [:)].

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
I would look into to a salvage SPI enigine, any water in the cylinder will creat unseen damage to the connecting rods, you could shoot a rob at any moment

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
oh yeah the bypass valve for $50 or a SRI would help protect your engine

1 - 17 of 17 Posts