Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
/fail
3,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok here is the deal Im thinking about getting a new intake. I have a AEM CAI right now but Im not terribly impressed with it. So I was thinking which one yall get a FS Cool Flo or a Hypnotic SRI? Will I be able to tell much of a difference over what I have now? Thanks in advance for everyones time and input in advance.

Ricky

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
Why would you be more impressed with a short ram intake? The AEM CAI makes the best gains of any intake available for the SVT - you're only going to lose power by switching to a short ram, especially when it gots hotter than hell during the summer and you're sucking in hot underhood air.

·
/fail
3,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
really Im just going what i have heard around here but i guess i have the best already???

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
I could be wrong, but I was under the impression that the AEM CAI offered the best overall horsepower gain, especially in terms of consistency (i.e. the horsepower gains don't vanish on hot days). The short ram would probably be louder if that's more important to you. [:D]

·
/fail
3,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
nah i dont care really about the sound.............but i have heard from other folks on here that you will def be able to tell you have an intake I mean "feel" it with the other two but i dunno if feeling something means that it gives you better gains throughout the powerband.........

·
Banned
9,238 Posts
You have the best intake right now, my friend has the Cool-Flo and says mine makes more power. The only intake that might provide more gains, but isn't worth the extra money, in my opinion, is the Pipercross. Stick with the CAI, it is your best bet, and this may not matter to you in TN, but it does to me in CA, it is smog legal!

·
/fail
3,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah thankfully we dont have any emisson laws or anything here where I live in the sticks lol but in memphis they do...............

·
Registered
565 Posts
intake is intake. CAI is def best for the SVT. but if you want to choose between brands, they're all the same.

·
Regulator...mount up
3,026 Posts
What exactly are u unhappy with the AEM? As for other intakes, I know there is a person on here who had an ITG Cool-flo with a Pipercross filter and it made like 5wp more! I asked him about it and he said that after replacing the ITG cone with the Pipercross, he dynoed it and made those gains.

·
Registered
582 Posts
how much does the heat shield on the K&N aircharger or the Cool flo intakes actually help out with the heat soaking? anybody do any data logging on that? Its supposed to work with the factory air funnel and cool down intake temps. If its comparable to the Aem temp-wise i might just by an aircharger. the aem does look sweet though

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
CAI will always produce more power than an SRI, however you have a high risk of hydrolock with CAI if you live in a rainy area.

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
as said above, the AEM CAI is the best intake power wise for the SVT.............I actually went from the AEM CAI to the focussport cool-flow, and I could tell a little difference in power at the top end (AEM had more)............but I got used to that in like a week, so it's nothing really major................

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
I forgot about the Pipercross intake but it's so expensive it doesn't seem to be one that most people consider - the Pipercross Viper kit retails for almost $350 which is steep for an intake, especially considering you have to make some mods to fit the intake, it's not a complete kit.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Between CAI and Shorty, I totally preffer the CAI...Nice difference in Air/ Fuel....the heat adds about .3-.5 more fuel according to my AEM Wideband...

·
Registered
507 Posts
I have a cai aem in silver that I am selling for 100 plus shipping. It's the best bang for the buck and sounds nice, the real world drivability is better too. got a couple of scratches on it, she's used , not all used up.. I live in south florida and have no problems with hydrolock. I have no bypass valve, just have to watch the real deep water. driving in heavy rain has never caused any problems for me. when I first got the aem I worried, but with a few weeks I realized everything was fine. down fall is you will have to clean filter more often. I'm selling mine because I bought the red aem. I'll recieve it in a couple of day's. silver does not actually look bad ...

·
Registered
381 Posts
hia sri, the pipe is bigger then cai, shorter so less lag, no water sucked into engine, and get a brand new one at 1/2 cost aem cai. Just my opinion tho...

·
Registered
381 Posts
the cai's are better then stock airbox, but there is better out there as we are trying to convey...the hia short ram intake may be a vast improvement over aem cai, at least thats what Im hoping

1 - 20 of 38 Posts