Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First I realize there are many many many posts about the aem but I don't think they answered my questions specifically. The possibility of hydrolock is my main concern.
First, realistically, how much of a risk is their of hydrolock if you are not driving through deep puddles? In south eastern va where I live, there are moderate amounts of rain and I do drive through small-medium sized puddles at different speeds and more so in the spring and summer. <I'm trying to be as specific as possible here>. Would driving for say 15 minutes in terential down pours effect performance or cause hydrolock...or driving in rain for 15 minutes each day for a few days cause it?...and/or hitting the occasional puddle?
Also, would a dryflow filter or a cfm cover alleviate some risks without decreasing performance? I kind of want to stay away from the bypass valve because I've heard of installation nightmares but it does eliminate the possibility of hydrolock. ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT.

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
you can easily make a splash shield for like $15 and would futher reduce the risk. I had one for over a year and loved it to death, never had a problem at all. Added a decent amount of power and the sound was amazing. Id get it and make a splash shield, if you search i think there are write ups on how to.

·
Registered
42 Posts
It sucks but it isnt that bad......the bypass valve is the easiest solution to that its causa where the filter needs to be for it to be a "cold air" theres not too many things u can do and if it rains a lot where u r u definatly should

·
Turbo!!!!
5,797 Posts
had an aem cai on my preveous car(vw gti) for 3 years with no problems and I live in New England where it rains all the time and their are puddles everywhere just stay out of the puddles their pothole any way and their bad for your rims too

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
a bypass valve doesnt fit on the SVT as far as i know because of where the the 2 sections of pipe meet it isnt big enough. A splash shield and you will be more than fine.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I live in hurricane alley, and I have had no issue with my CAI. You'd have to nearly sink the front bumper inorder to submerse the filter.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so does the bypass valve fit the cai for the svt but only with A LOT of cutting? I'm pretty lazy to do a lot of cutting but the shield sounds cool...I looked at the how to on it. Would a cfm cover for the filter or a dry flow filter help with the water issues too? The more I think about it the more I think that it would be hard to hydrolock the engine. Just the risk of accidentally hitting a puddle that is just too deep worries me.

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
Most people that claim to have hydrolocked their engines are mistaking hydrolocking for getting their TPS sensor wet.

To actually hydrolock an engine you HAVE to suck in enough water to stop the engine on the compression stroke.... which means you have to fill one cylinder FULL along with the intake manifold and the CAI.... which is close to 3-5 GALLONS of water.

You're NOT going to do that by driving through a couple of potholes of water......

On the other hand it only take a couple of OUNCES of water to short out the TPS and that will make the car run very erratic.

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
A single puddle is not going to splash enough water up to lock the engine. If you sat in a 2 foot deep puddle it may possibly hydrolock it, but not just the spray from the road or a small puddle. Buy it, enjoy it and dont worry about it. And i believe a bypass actually decreases power slightly and unless you cut a section out of one of the tubes it wont fit. Oh and you can save alittle money by buying one of the cheaper ones off ebay (not the super cheapo's) and buying a good filter for it cause the AEM's run like $230ish.

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
Like SVT_BMXer said, buy one and enjoy it. I have had amine on for more than a year and have had no problems with it and we usually get a lot of rain here in Houston. Just avoid puddles and don't go running at WOT with the filter wet (which you prolly wont do in the rain anyway) and you will be fine.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I assume the aem cai won't void the warranty. Correct? Also, what's the TPS sensor and how much is it to replace the old one in case it gets soaked. Will the aem screw with the O2 sensor? I looked on ebay to find one...is $244 total a good price? I think it comes with everything.

·
Turbo!!!!
5,797 Posts
jaykirs said:
Like SVT_BMXer said, buy one and enjoy it. I have had amine on for more than a year and have had no problems with it and we usually get a lot of rain here in Houston. Just avoid puddles and don't go running at WOT with the filter wet (which you prolly wont do in the rain anyway) and you will be fine.
I grew up in Houston it definetly floods their the bayou sucks (westbury senior high 89-93)

·
Registered
607 Posts
lots of rain here... Certain parts of BC are considered the 2nd largest rain forest..

If you have a CAI you just be smart when you drive.. if you go through a LARGE body of water and actually submerge your intake then yes you should be worried otherwise your fine

·
Registered
297 Posts
i've had mine for a while with no probs. you really have to submerge the front of the car. and since its in front of the front wheel, you won't splash it either. CFM actually has a water repellant pre filter for the aem filter and any open filter. its probably good if you're worried about water splashing up from the road into the filter. i might get one myself just to be safe. here's the link:

http://focus.c-f-m.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=999

·
Registered
140 Posts
hydrolocking will most likely not happen to you. When you hydroloc your cylinder fills up with water and there is no room for the piston to compress . So for this to happen you would really have to go through a pretty big puddle. IF your that worried though just get a short ram.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
would the aem mess with the O2 sensor though? I like having the basic warranty and would not want Ford to start saying some bs like the O2 sensor or some other problem is due to the cai. Been looking and the best price I've found is $244 for the whole thing. Good price?

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Ive had my CAI since I got my car....I have driven through hurricanes, mist rain, snow etc. and I *NEVER* had a problem. The worst that ever happened was I killed a TPS sensor and thats a couple bucks (under $20).

In order to hydrolock your motor, you have to submerge 100% of your filter. We have similar weather as I live in MD.

Fear not, enjoy it!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts