Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought an AEM Cold Air Intake. My problem is when the instructions say to "remove the 10mm bolt from the distributor coil pack bracket, and install the rubber mount." but i dont have that 10 mm bolt its a smooth surface. theres no threads to install the mount or anything.
Is it ok for me to go head and complete the install, I had to stop cuz the sun went down.

Thanks StaX

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Are you sure it isn't an Allen head:

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
That is really odd. Even the ZX2 coil brackets I'm finding have that bolt.

What that bolt is for is the lower portion of the bracket, it's held on by 3 bolts, 2 at the top and one on the bottom.
I'm suspecting that the bottom piece is missing on yours (aftermarket coil would be the only reason why). That means there should still be a threaded hole for a bolt.
Right?

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
most aftermarket coil packs will have them too, the scream'n demon one did.

·
Premium Member
3,617 Posts
I know one thing I would not install without the bolt. I have been there done that, thinking oh i will install it and get a bolt tomorrow.....bad idea!

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That is really odd. Even the ZX2 coil brackets I'm finding have that bolt.

What that bolt is for is the lower portion of the bracket, it's held on by 3 bolts, 2 at the top and one on the bottom.
I'm suspecting that the bottom piece is missing on yours (aftermarket coil would be the only reason why). That means there should still be a threaded hole for a bolt.
Right?
i dont think its an aftermarket coil the lady i bought it from had all the maintnece(sp.) papers from the ford dealership.

i installed the intake and made sure the bottom bracket by the radiator was on there tight

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

So im thinking that the pipe with the bracket on is aftermarket because theres no bolt so somebody had to remove it!

Would it be ok to bend the bracket enough to put that rubber mount on it?

·
Registered
268 Posts
The pipe with the bracket attached to it is you egr pipe from your exhaust manifold to your egr valve. It should have had a bolt holding it to the coil bracket. The proper way to do the install would be to remove your rubber mount, bend the bracket back up to go over the threaded hole then reinstall your bolt -> mount -> egr tube flange -> threaded hole in coil bracket. If you are having problems lining up the egr tube flange to the coil bracket it may be necessary to loosen the tube at both ends (but don't completely remove it.) The pipe ends should be 1 1/16". Once everything lines up and you have your bolt through, retighten the tube ends to the manifold and egr valve.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ohh ok thanks, ill probably do that with in the next week but thats good to know because i couldnt move that bracket at all.
Thanks StaX!!

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Ya im sure

and it seems stock like its soupose to be flat
I think you want the bolt near the valve cover. It should be on the block. It has a Torx head on it. Look in front of the flying saucer thingy in the pick, that should be the one you want to loosen.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
in the instructions its that bolt on the coil bracket. and the mounting bracket off of the intake is only for the bolt off of the coil bracket.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts