Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys back on here to tackle my next repair on my 2003 Se manual 2.3l pzev. The motor mounts...
Im wondering is there any particular brands to stay away from when purchasing? Does anyone know a very good website to purchase from that they've had good luck with? Thanks guys!

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Moved to General Tech Chat.

If you want to avoid vibes, the passenger side one at least has to be stock Ford.

·
Registered
17,459 Posts
Non-Motorcraft mounts may well vibrate your face off. Especially the pass side one. Just went through that a month ago, the brand new one vibrated right off the bat and only got worse in the next week. Anchor, DEA, Westar, they all suck, those people cannot make a hydro mount for spit. The last new one I made much better by simply cutting the top bladder and letting all the hydraulic oil run out of it, pretty d-mn funny. It doesn't vibrate hardly at all now. Before, you could hear the rattle two hundred feet away.

If you don't want to appear to be driving junk when someone else rides in the car you will pay what it takes...............

·
Registered
17,459 Posts
FYI just cut a pass side mount open today. The fluid is WATER based, and why they rust so badly. I always thought of it as oil but no. This brand new Westar part was made so crummy the inside bumper that is supposed to hit the top plate at higher internal movement is a good 3/16" away from the plate, should only be a few thousandths clearance there. Wasted rubber bumper on it that will never touch ever. Those Chinese are putting out absolute garbage, no wonder they rattle right off the bat. They removed the light hit that is supposed to occur to lower the warranty claims of knocking the tops out, but totally killed the operation of the mount by doing so. And the top came right out with no effort at all, crap as usual.

They advertise as 'solid rubber' on Rock Auto but no way are they, rather, cheap worthless hydro mounts in wrong marked box. Buyer beware............

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was actually looking at westar to, im glad your telling me this. Should I just pay the extra cash and get the duralast ones from AutoZone?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Ford units for the passenger side hydraulic mount are the only ones proven to work well over time.

The other mounts are considered less critical, though I recently saw a post showing pictures of a cheap "dogbone" mount that didn't work acceptably out of the box. Side by side pictures showed the poor construction.

The cheapest parts are often not worth the proverbial "Powder to Blow Them to He double hockey sticks".

·
Registered
360 Posts
The Ford passenger mount and the aftermarket mounts look just about identical on the outside. There are a few telltales though. I put up a Youtube video showing the difference.

The aftermarket dogbone bushings from Energy Suspension are highly recommended over even the OEM Ford mount.

Take a look at the following:

http://www.mittelstaedt.us/focus-mount/project.html

This is a very easy fix and the tools to do it are not that expensive.

·
Registered
17,459 Posts
The Duralast parts will be no better made than others, they slap that lifetime warranty on and you get a lifetime of changing them. I bought O'Reilly version and still going through them, why I try to come up with something else other than that hydro type part. I buy the crap ones to experiment on, all I need is the casting with the rubber bottom firmly attached. I junk all the metering stuff except the lower metal bowl washer. I've rebuilt a couple that actually go longer than the brand new OTC parts and nothing in them to blow out and fall into the belt. They were pretty much vibration free as well. Certainly acceptable although not dead smooth as glass like OEM. Now trying to just make them last longer, I'm happy with the vibration issue.

About the only outside difference in OEM and the OTC is the Ford logo either there or not. The inside construction is what counts.

If you ever jump a curb or tap bumper hard enough to lug the engine down you may as well plan on changing that mount, the engine weight continues forward or up and tears the bottom rubber loose instantly.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts