Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi im new to this forum and wondered if you could help. My 54 plate Focus Zetec is starting to use alot if water, ( filling it up fully every 2 days) and the fan is kicking in ( for about 2-3mins) after i park car and ignition off is off. The car is NOT boiling and staying at normal temp. Have checked head gasket and no mixing of water or any gunk . Any ideas? Cheers!

·
Registered
521 Posts
I had to Google the meaning of "54 plate." Are you sure it isn't leaking? Do you smell antifreeze when you drive the car or poke around outside it?

Edit: If the head cracked in a certain way, you could be losing antifreeze into a cylinder without mixing it into the oil. If you pull your spark plugs and find that one is miraculously steam cleaned, then there's your answer.

Toby

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for reply! -Sorry meant 2004 registration. I have smelt some sort of chemical smell but have been putting that down to screenwash as roads are really crappy, so have been using it quite abit. Have checked just now for leak and have found flexi pipe only slightly damp

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Fortunately a leak into a cyl. is the least likely scenario, finding a leak in wet weather can be almost impossible unless fairly large & the distinctive color can be seen.

All you can do is keep an eye on it & hope to find the source on a drier day.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I'm not trying to be a pain, but I have had three head gaskets go and all of them were into the cyl. Maybe its just luck lol

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Odd luck & I'd like to hear more details, repeat failures don't count.

Your dads should show evidence, and it's a time bomb for just giving up at some point. Small leak into a cyl. will still show evidence of steam cleaning when you look at the piston/spark plug, if the cooling system will still pressurize at all it can leak into the cyl. when shut down & get into the oil that way.

Yes, a tiny amount would be like water injection & still run OK. How long it could stay that small & not cause other problems? Wouldn't take a bet.

Hoof beats & horses, when there isn't evidence pointing to an odd issue looking at common ones makes more sense.

If it overheated before, if there was steam out the exh., if a plug/cyl. showed steam cleaning - sure I'd think of gasket/head possibilities.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Yeah we know its a matter of time. He doesn't seem to care. The first one was my moms 2002 Taurus with the 3.0 Vulcan engine. It failed and was burning coolant, then my dads 2001 Taurus with the same motor did the same thing. And now my dads sonata. I also saw a subaru with the same problem

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Subaru's from certain years are notorious for head gasket issues and it sounds like the Vulcan 3.0 is on that list as well. A number of early 80's cars had this problem with using aluminum heads on iron blocks, changes to head bolts helped solve that one.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Car is a 1.6 zetec. Would it be safe/ok to put a drop of food colouring in? So its easier to spot or would it do damage? Anyone?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Pressure test would be optimal, need a tester with the right adapter to match the cap.

There are leak detector dyes that can be used, they fluoresce under UV (black light) to make finding a leak easier. Existing color of the coolant should be enough to tell it from water, drop of food coloring wouldn't help much.

·
Premium Member
21,256 Posts
I had a car do this. It would lose coolant, but wasn't burning it or dripping it anywhere that I could find. Only after I'd driven about 10 miles or so, then returned back, and allowed the car to idle while I checked did I see the leak. A bad coolant reservoir cap caused the coolant to run out through the overflow once the car warmed up. The gauge would show only a minor jump in temp while the coolant was dumping, and once the coolant was low it would overheat.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Have found leak, started dripping out of drivers side footwell. Is it one of two pipes that lead to the matrix? If so are they flexi pipes? Easiest way to get to these? Any advice greatfully recieved! :)

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
Hannah,

We need to delete one of your threads.

Tell me which one to delete please.

Your heater core is leaking.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.