Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, i have just joined this forum and need some advice. My 54 plate Ford Focus Zetec has started to use alot of water ( filling it up every 2 days) , and the fan is kicking in when car is stationary ( this lasts for 2-3 mins) the car is NOT boiling and running at normal temp. I have checked head gasket and no water mixing. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Moved it to General Tech Chat for you.

Sounds like it's seeping out somewhere, could be a search to find the location. Common ones for some are at the thermostat housing & at a transverse water pipe at the top of the radiator, don't know your engine model & if it has those particular problems.

Finding crusty residue at joints is an indication of intermittent leakage.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Well you really can't "check" the head gasket unless the head is off. And a head gasket can fail anywhere. If you have no coolant going into your oil, and no oil in your coolant, and its not leaking it externally, it could be going in your combustion chamber. And burning it through the exhaust.

Excessive water or steam from the exhaust?

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
I looked at this car one time that had a funky leak. We tried and tried to find it, but never could locate an exact cause. Finally one day the car was sitting idling after driving it a short distance, and coolant started running out.

It turns out that it was the radiator cap. It was loose, and once the coolant heated up, it would push coolant out of the overflow. Once the cap was replaced, it worked fine.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No excessive water or steam from exhaust. Car is a 1.6 Zetec. Thanks for all replys so far! - fingers crossed i get to the bottom of this annoying prob! :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts