Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1.) Since my 1st oil change at 3,000 miles my 2012 Focus Titanium has used oil (not leaking) at a rate of 1.25 qts. per 4,000 miles. My current mileage is at 7,000 miles. Is this normal break in oil usage for the engine?
2.) Since new, this Focus has lost the computer and driver's seat control, both now replaced.
3.) Most annoying is the hypnotic humming sound I hear between 55 and 70 MPH from the driver's front side of the car. Over 70 and under 55 MPH it disappears. Ford cannot find the cause.
4.) My gas cap cover keeps popping open while driving.
5.) The window side posts plastic trim, on both sides, dimples where attached to the body of the car. This is especially noticeable in hotter sunshiny weather.

Is anyone else having these problems or am I overly critical of my new $28K 2012 Focus?

·
Registered
497 Posts
1.) Since my 1st oil change at 3,000 miles my 2012 Focus Titanium has used oil (not leaking) at a rate of 1.25 qts. per 4,000 miles. My current mileage is at 7,000 miles. Is this normal break in oil usage for the engine?
2.) Since new, this Focus has lost the computer and driver's seat control, both now replaced.
3.) Most annoying is the hypnotic humming sound I hear between 55 and 70 MPH from the driver's front side of the car. Over 70 and under 55 MPH it disappears. Ford cannot find the cause.
4.) My gas cap cover keeps popping open while driving.
5.) The window side posts plastic trim, on both sides, dimples where attached to the body of the car. This is especially noticeable in hotter sunshiny weather.

Is anyone else having these problems or am I overly critical of my new $28K 2012 Focus?
1) Exactly how have you determined the amount of oil being used? There is only ONE way to properly perform an oil consumption test and I'd be shocked if you did it correctly. I'm not saying you don't know how to check oil but the dipstick in no way quantifies the oil level. It's either low, full or overfilled. I'll gladly explain how to do the proper oil consumption test but what you find doesn't matter - a dealer needs to perform it themselves. Normal oil consumption is 1qt per 1500 miles.... Although this seems pretty high, it's actually about twice what other makes including Toyota accept....\

2) Things happen. Wouldn't worry much about it.

3) I'm guessing it's tire related. If your dealer can't figure out the source of this noise/vibration they shouldn't be doing any further work. I'd find another dealer if I where you. Preferably one that has a vibration analyzer like the Vetronix MTS400.

4) Is there a lever that releases the gas cap cover or does it open by hand from the outside? Do you see it open up while driving or is it possible someone is playing with you?

5) I'd look at another identical model if I where you. It may be a fit & finish issue or it may just be the way it is. Fit & finish issues are common on new body models and it's generally a reason why people don't buy the first new model. If a legitimate issue exists, it will be taken care of. Compare it to another unit, go to another dealer if your current one is a bunch of yahoos and remember that you catch more flies with honey than vinegar.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1) Exactly how have you determined the amount of oil being used? There is only ONE way to properly perform an oil consumption test and I'd be shocked if you did it correctly. I'm not saying you don't know how to check oil but the dipstick in no way quantifies the oil level. It's either low, full or overfilled. I'll gladly explain how to do the proper oil consumption test but what you find doesn't matter - a dealer needs to perform it themselves. Normal oil consumption is 1qt per 1500 miles.... Although this seems pretty high, it's actually about twice what other makes including Toyota accept....\

2) Things happen. Wouldn't worry much about it.

3) I'm guessing it's tire related. If your dealer can't figure out the source of this noise/vibration they shouldn't be doing any further work. I'd find another dealer if I where you. Preferably one that has a vibration analyzer like the Vetronix MTS400.

4) Is there a lever that releases the gas cap cover or does it open by hand from the outside? Do you see it open up while driving or is it possible someone is playing with you?

5) I'd look at another identical model if I where you. It may be a fit & finish issue or it may just be the way it is. Fit & finish issues are common on new body models and it's generally a reason why people don't buy the first new model. If a legitimate issue exists, it will be taken care of. Compare it to another unit, go to another dealer if your current one is a bunch of yahoos and remember that you catch more flies with honey than vinegar.
Thanks for the thoughts, they are appreciated.

1.(oil) I check my oil after the vehicle has sit overnight. I pull out the dipstick look at it reinsert, pull it out and recheck the level. That may not be the right way but it has worked for me since I have owned a car or motorcycle. When I add back, oil the amount added corresponds with a level increase the dipstick reads.

2.) Things do happen

3.) I thought it was tire related as well. I rotated tires and made sure all were inflated to proper levels. The dealer shop QC person said it was not the bearing as Ford indicated, he used a vibration analyzer. They replaced the bearing. The noise is still there. Several other 2012 Focus owners are reporting the same thus Ford's OASIS SSM 21985.

4.) The gas cap is pressure activated from outside the car. Someone may be messing with me but it is garaged at night and weekends. I notice it open after driving over rougher roads.

5.) Yes I have checked for dimples on other 2012 Focus sedans and hatchbacks. All I looked at have them. It appears the plastic trim is too soft as this effect worsens in hot sunshiny weather. My Focus has never seen a car wash brush, only washed with a soft cloth at home. These trim panels on the windows have scratch swirls all over them. Other owners have reported the same.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Thanks for the thoughts, they are appreciated.

1.(oil) I check my oil after the vehicle has sit overnight. I pull out the dipstick look at it reinsert, pull it out and recheck the level. That may not be the right way but it has worked for me since I have owned a car or motorcycle. When I add back, oil the amount added corresponds with a level increase the dipstick reads.

2.) Things do happen

3.) I thought it was tire related as well. I rotated tires and made sure all were inflated to proper levels. The dealer shop QC person said it was not the bearing as Ford indicated, he used a vibration analyzer. They replaced the bearing. The noise is still there. Several other 2012 Focus owners are reporting the same thus Ford's OASIS SSM 21985.

4.) The gas cap is pressure activated from outside the car. Someone may be messing with me but it is garaged at night and weekends. I notice it open after driving over rougher roads.

5.) Yes I have checked for dimples on other 2012 Focus sedans and hatchbacks. All I looked at have them. It appears the plastic trim is too soft as this effect worsens in hot sunshiny weather. My Focus has never seen a car wash brush, only washed with a soft cloth at home. These trim panels on the windows have scratch swirls all over them. Other owners have reported the same.
Good to check your oil after it's had a chance to drain back but here is the best thing to do:

Change the oil allowing all to drain out. Install a new OEM filter. Fill crankcase exactly 1 quart less than the specification. Start the engine and run for 30 seconds. Wait at least 5 min for drain back. Check oil level on dipstick and put a scribe mark on the stick that represents the level exactly 1 quart low. Add the remaining quart of oil and drive exactly 1500 miles. Shut engine off, wait another 5 minutes for drainback and pull the stick. If the level is at or above the scribe mark - your consumption is considered normal. This is what the dealer should do (in addition to putting a paint seal on your fill cap, dipstick, filter and drain plug to note tampering).

A quick review of that SSM shows that Ford is aware of the noise and working on a fix. I'd just be patient and keep posted with the dealer. The gas door is anyone's guess, it just may need to be adjusted.

The window trim thing will either be determined to be normal or they will find a new supplier/type of trim. Again, a situation that will require patience.

One of the things many people here don't realize is that even if Ford knows exactly what's wrong and what to fix they've got a lot of red tape to get anything available in stores. Pretty much everything will fall under the government's umbrella of safety and emissions standards and any new component or change to a system's construction may require lots of testing before it can be implemented. I'd like to think window trim isn't one of these things but who knows. Glass.....glass trim.... you never know.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Hi jimmyt,

Since you are concerned about the oil consumption, your best bet is to bring it to your dealer, as they have a number of tests that can evaluate it. While you are having that service done, make sure to let them know of your other issues so they can address those as well. [:)]

~Natasha

1 - 5 of 5 Posts