Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,
I have a 2003 SE PZEV with the in dash 6 cd changer. I did a bit of research on this site and found a lot of excellent info and would like to thank everyone that contributes and shares their knowledge.

I am going to add two 10 inch subs in a pre-fabbed box in the trunk and a Kicker KX600.4 amp. The Kicker Amp is huge so the best location I could come up with is mounted in the trunk attached to the back of the 60 portion of the seat. I bought the radio removal tool at Walmart and looked at the back of the radio, there are no preamp outs. So I can buy some lowlevel converters or I can use the high level inputs on the amp.

How big a difference between using the RCA converters compared to the high level inputs?

The Amp is a four channel so I'm thinking about connecting the 2 subs to two of the channels and using the other two channels to run the front speakers or run both the front and rear speakers from the same two channels. NOt sure what is my best option here. I could bridge two of the channels to run the subs but then I would only have 2 channels to run the four door speakers. So, I would appreciate info on the best configuration to wire the speakers. Eventually I want to swap out the stock door speakers for some aftermarket ones.
Thanks!

Del [:)]

·
Registered
571 Posts
with the rca vs high level inputs, i would say your not gonna notice any difference from the stock deck, simply because either way you are using the highlevel outputs of he deck, one way you'll convert it before the amp, the other way it'll convert at the amp. If you must stick with the stock deck, it'd just be easier to use the high levels on the amp. Of course, your greatest increase in sound quality is always gonna start with a good deck.

As for the wiring, you essentially said the same thing twice. I would say bridge 2 channels to run the subs in mono, thats gonna leave you the same 2 channels for your existing speakers. (you originally said youd run the subs in stereo and use 2 channels for the speakers, then said you could run the amps mono, but that would leave ONLY 2 channels for the speakers.... so speaker wise it isnt gonna matter. ) of course this depends on he wattage of the amp and subs, what reseistance the amp can handle , etc.

for wiring the speakers, 99% of people will tell you to run the back speakers off the deck, then use the amp to run a nice set of components up front. Personally, I like little more power from the back and would amp the rears and run the front speakers off the deck. depends on what you like. If you normally set your fader more to the rear, amp the rear speakers. If you normally set it more to the front, amp the front. if you leave it even at 0, i'd amp the front and put in components (cleaner signal from the amp to the front than the deck would provide..) you could run all 4 speakers off the amp, but, again, this depends on the wattage of the amp, ohm handling, etc.

if you're not opposed to spendina little more money, ideally you'd run the 4 speaker off the 4 channel amp and get a mono amp to push the subs. and of course, to avoid pissing off the audio gods, you'd start with an after market HU.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
dave30,
Thanks for the reply,
You're right I did say the same thing twice,
And thanks for suggesting that I run one pair of speakers from the HU I honestly never would of thought of that.

·
Registered
571 Posts
i just redid my setup. currently I'm running the rear door speakers off my head unit, front door speakers (components) and pair of boxed 6x9's on the back shelf off of a 4 channel amp, and my 2 subs of a mono amp. you can play around.... mix in match. find what suits you

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update- bought a Head unit need more advice.
Hi everyone,

I have a blaupunkt San jose deck, a kicker 600x4 amp and 2 10" subs that are 4 ohm. I want to run the four door speakers from the Head unit. My question is how should I wire the amp and subs. The head unit has 3 sets of RCA's- front , rear and sub. The sub rca's are both black, I guess because bass is mono? Anyways the Kicker amp has 4 channels, each 2 channels can be bridged but only at 4 ohms not 2. The amp will only run at 2 ohms in stereo not bridged. So I thought I could use one of the sub rca outs from the head unit for 2 channels on the amp and use the other sub rca out for the other 2 channels on the amp. Do I have to split each rca out from the head unit into 2 lines to plug into the amp or can I run only one cable into the input on the amp, and is it bettter to plug the cable into the right or left rca input on the amp if I only plug in one cable per 2 channels. Thanks! (Hope someone can understand my confusing description.

·
Registered
571 Posts
You will need a splitter to use the sub out puts. split the 2 outputs from the back of the deck to 4, plug them into your amp. as long as the power handling matches, bridge front output on the amp to one sub, bridge rear to the other.... but with a 600x4 amp, this means those subs have to be able to handle 1200 watts peak each... if they cant then you only use 2 of the four channels and run them stereo.... goin this route you no longer need a splitter for the sub outputs.

What is the power handling on the subs? we'll see what we can come up with here...

·
Registered
81 Posts
A little clarification, that KX600.4 (I'm assuming it's a KX) will put 300wx2 into 4ohm loads. I wouldn't worry about the subs. [thumb]

BTW, nice pick on the Kicker Amp, I've had nothing but good experiences with Kicker amps too [8D]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts