Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All I'm new and I'm seriously looking at a Focus SE with alot of upgrades (Sadly not manual)

The owner says they have NOT had any issues and the only thing is the sometimes the rear passenger brakes sometimes squeal.
They are throwing in snows as well. I was surprised all the options this car has, including backup camera.

I'm going to look at this friday am.
Can someone tell me a few things to look for ? PS I was testing driving a few outbacks and boy they are like driving heavy trucks!

FB link
BTW is it me or do the seats not fold even almost down?
How is the Auto, 6-Spd Pwr/SelShift to use in manual mode.. any fun or just a gimmick.
BTW - I GRILLED the owner on chat who says they NEVER had any transmission issues.

PS Should I get this car, anyone know a good mech in Dutchess County NY?
Also where to get a rubber match for the boot?
TY ALL!!

·
Registered
16,320 Posts
"No transmission trouble at all'..........................RIIIIIIGGHHHTTT.

You do not read much. Research Ford DCT and the thousands of complaints forcing Ford buybacks.

You've been warned.

·
Registered
963 Posts
"BTW is it me or do the seats not fold even almost down?"

The bottom of the rear seats hinge up/forward. Takes seconds to fold the rears flat. Looks to be an SE with Appearance Package. I have one...nice options.

I wouldn't buy a DCT unless it was at a DEEP discount.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
@saintsfins @beretta96 @amc49 ok thanks guys. Is it possible some cars trans are just ok or is that an impossibility ?
Also, is IF I go look at it, is there a list of things I should look for? Please that would be very helpful.

Is this recall still applicable for this car I'm looking at ?
2014 Ford Focus SE Hatchback with 126k miles
If yes, then I can have it looked at by them right?

"Ford issues 19N07 (TCM up to 10 years or 150k miles) and 19N08 (DPS6 up to 7 years or 150k miles) warranty extensions for 2014-2016 Focuses with DPS6 and a build date before November 5, 2015."

·
Registered
185 Posts
As I understand it, the issues with the DCT isn't a function of inferior parts, it's, at its root, a poor design. Fundamentally, it's very challenging to overcome bad design/engineering.

Since, at its core, the transmission has fundamental design flaws, I'd steer clear.

Yeah, you're going to occasionally catch lightning in a bottle and find people who can truthfully say "my car has 125k miles on it and has never had a problem" but we've all heard of people who've lived into their 90's but smoked since they were twelve and eat fried foods 5 times / week. Does that mean we should advocate people integrate smoking and eating lots of fried foods into their health plans?

I'm sure you get what I'm saying? I'm a Ford guy -- born and raised on them. When buying a car, my perspective has always been to get a Ford unless there are compelling reasons not to.

Nevertheless, there are too many higher quality cars that serve the same market as the Focus for me to take that gamble or advocate someone else do the same. That said, if you find a manual transmission, I'd say go for it. I've got a 2017 Focus ST (6-speed) sitting in my garage and couldn't be happier with it.

·
Registered
16,320 Posts
I'd give some thought as to why.........I too loved Ford for 40 years, I've bought my last one. The cars are made to break minor parts to drive you to buy a new one, I went to Nissan and suddenly no parts break, at 100K now and only trouble with one thing. The two Focus cars I have had breakage on 15-20 things each by then.

Once I put up a list here of the top 50 things early Foci broke commonly and way early before they should, it also showed on most of the junk cars in the scrapyards. The cars are engineered to do it to create new parts sales. All 4 window regulators, all 4 door latch assemblies, ignition lock cylinders, cables, rear wheel cylinders, Taillights melting sockets together, alternators, battery cable fires, only the start. I could go on and on. The cars are utter garbage.

I bought two Tempos and two Contours too, you could see the evolution of that cheaper crap part design over the years to get worse and worse. It is now a Ford specialty of the highest order.

·
Registered
16,320 Posts
By the way....................stay clear of Nissan now too, their version of CVT is the new Ford DCT..............the trans that works for 20 minutes then it never does correctly again.

·
Registered
843 Posts
I’m not sure why anyone would buy a 2012-2016 Focus DCT. If you want a small compact car that’s reliable & gets good mpg’s, then just buy a Corolla or Civic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I’m not sure why anyone would buy a 2012-2016 Focus DCT. If you want a small compact car that’s reliable & gets good mpg’s, then just buy a Corolla or Civic.

yes I have decided against this model. Going with Honda or Subaru

·
Registered
843 Posts
yes I have decided against this model. Going with Honda or Subaru

If reliability is your biggest concern then it should be Honda or Toyota, not Subaru. If you’re looking for a reliable ‘fun’ car, then buy an ST, SI or WRX.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts