Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any advice/tips for replacing the water pump and all three engine/trans mounts on a 2.3l duratec manual trans?

The water pump just started leaking from the shaft area. and the lower/torque engine mount is wore out.so I figured I'd better just replace the upper/passenger sideengine and trans mount. The car has 206,xxx miles on it.

The water pump looks to be in a tight space. Do I need to remove the power steering pump or maybe the upper/passenger side engine mount?
I haven't found a how-to or anything yet for the water pump, but ive read that the worst part is breaking the seal for the pump.

If it matters my car is not equipped with a/c. It is about a basic as a car can get I think.

Thanks in advance for any help.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,453 Posts
It'd make it easier to remove the pump. http://c-f-m.com Use the oem Ford psm(passenger side mount) & add a vf engineering dogbone (lower mount)

·
Ford Fiend
2,976 Posts
^ agree 100%. And whatever you do, don't buy a Bosch pump unless you want to replace it again 12,000 miles later. I would recommend a Motorcraft pump.

Reactions: felixthecat

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just did a water pump radiator and thermostat on my 04 2.3 and it wasn't really all that bad. I did not remove any mounts to do the water pump. I had replaced all the mounts 2 years ago. Use 1/4 sockets where you can, makes it easier. Take the pulley off first, and they unbolt the pump and you can sneak it up and out the top.

As for the mounts, I just used a jack under each side, and did one at a time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts