Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, any advice given to me here will be appreciated.

I'm looking to move about 45 minutes further from work (current commute is 15 minutes). I don't want to pile commuter miles on the SVT, it'll get beat up fast, so I'm looking to buy a '98 Honda Accord from a buddy as my commuter scooter.

It's got a cassette player in it, and that will have to go. This would be a basic setup, no external amps, and maybe not even replacing the stock speakers. (Audiophiles, forgive my blasphemy!)[;)]

What I want is a single-DIN headunit with:

An aux input included (not optional, and a remote mount for the aux is a plus).

Easy to use controls, preferably grouped towards the driver's side.

Very important: NO flashing, pulsing, level-meter-bouncing, or animated displays. Simple and low-key is it for me. A graphical interface is OK, but the display should be easy to read in sunlight or in shade.

Reasonable price in the $200-$250 range (or less!) for a quality unit. MP3, WMA is a plus but not vital (that's what the aux in would be for). It would be nice if the unit had a black faceplate.

So, any "quick picks" from those who know more than I about car stereo?

·
Registered
226 Posts
i just put in an Alpine...cost $249.99 (no sales tax in DE) did the ghetto rig to the sub and WOW it sounds absolutly awesome! i dont have the number sitting in my face or i'd tell ya but alpine is pretty simple and incredibly clear quality

·
Registered
94 Posts
ModemJunki said:
What I want is a single-DIN headunit with:

An aux input included (not optional, and a remote mount for the aux is a plus).

Easy to use controls, preferably grouped towards the driver's side.

Very important: NO flashing, pulsing, level-meter-bouncing, or animated displays. Simple and low-key is it for me. A graphical interface is OK, but the display should be easy to read in sunlight or in shade.

Reasonable price in the $200-$250 range (or less!) for a quality unit. MP3, WMA is a plus but not vital (that's what the aux in would be for). It would be nice if the unit had a black faceplate.

So, any "quick picks" from those who know more than I about car stereo?
My friend this is what you need.

It's black, has aux input with ai-net-rca cable ($15.99) or i-pod input with fullspeed cable ($29.99), controls are on the drivers side, it's not flashy but still sleek and text is legible, plays mp3/wma discs, and your local bestbuy carries it for $199.99.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
If you want a simple, but effective display, then Alpine is definately a good bet. I love my Pioneer 7600, though. I work in a store that sells car audio, and the Pioneer 5800 is $200, and the 6800 is $250. The Pioneers have a 'flashier' display, but that doesn't mean that they have to flash crazy pictures or movies. I know mine, for example, has a few backgrounds that just have all the necessary text (actually, just the text is kind of nice instead of a crazy moving background). It is also easy to read in all but the most direct sunlight. I believe there is an aux input on the back, and there might be one on the front too, but I'm not sure. The controls are relatively easy too (it has one large rotary wheel on the driver's side that controls most functions).

·
Registered
351 Posts
hey blazin, few questions.

Can you control the song order and selection THROUGH the iPod still? Also, is it a simple cable that plugs in through the front or rear, or do you have to buy one of those boxes?

Thanks.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
SVT_CLARITY you thread hijacker!

Now I will hijack my own thread! [:D]

Whats your sig mean?!?![?]

·
Registered
94 Posts
with the ipod, you control it throught the headunit. you go to the ipod source and hit the button to the left of the volume control and it goes through your playlists, albums, artists, or songs. not to mention it keeps it charged and when you plug it in a cool little alpine animated logo pops up on the ipod. scrolls pretty fast too. any other mp3 player and you have to use the actual player to choose songs.

one cable that plugs into the back of the alpine and then to the dock connecter of the ipod
(!digital quality!). its long enough to snake under and out of the center console, but i leave mine in the glovebox.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
fstbckgt said:
look no further this deck is perfect and its only $180.....i have it on my car and i love it
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7652499&type=product&id=1134701297913
Thanks for the tip, but that has no AUX input, it's Ipod-only. Between the family we have 5 MP3 players and none is an Ipod.

And, well, it looks like the Honda isn't going to happen, my buddy got a better offer on it and I told him to take the money. But I still may end up with a beater that needs a radio, you never know.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts