Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently on the focus i have a 2.5" catback exhaust, including the flex and race header. All the parts are made by Tsudo. I really like the exhaust and the sound it makes however it is not a stealthy car lol if you know what i mean. Coming home from a party at 2am driving the car is a definite way to get pulled over. Also, i've gotten pulled over quite a few times in the past few months and managed to not even get fix it tickets but warnings. At first i didnt care but now i really want something quieter. So i need some advice. Should i buy the focusport stealth exhaust..which requires me to take mine off, temporarily put a stock exhaust on until i sell mine and buy the stealth. OR is there something i can add to my current exhaust to make it quieter? Like a hiflo cat or something (fitment and placement is my concern). Any help is appreciated

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
damn......... do you have a resonator on there? cause they make it quieter, though in your application, you may have to put two on there if it's even possible.......

though maybe both the stealth and another resonator (cause I believe the stealth comes with a resonator) cause if I'm correct, you probably sound like a plane right now [hihi]

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
OOOOH........magnaflow [:D] would look nice with my full magnaflow cat-back [:D]

looks like that's gonna be a good option, and it's not too expensive. Dunno if a high flow cat will really do anything like sound deadening, anyway....

edit: oh and for complete randomness.........you wouldn't happen to have a video or sound clip of your race car, would you? I gotta hear that......

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
i just bought the smaller one, can't wait to get it on. HFC won't do much, resonator is what u need for quieter exhaust.
nice......where does it go into place, where the extension tube is?

I don't think I'd want one though, mine's already pretty quiet, though like I said before, the bigger one is shiny, just like the rest of my exhaust [:D]

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
It goes on the straight pipe, just cut the right size piece off and slip on. Before i put it on i will do a before and after sound clip.

Right now i have the svt header, hfc, 2.5 flex, 2.5 trubendz borla. too loud.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
i have the same exact exhaust as ^^ EXCEPT: i have a glasspack installed as a resonator on my 2.5" trubendz borla, svt header, svt cat, 2.5" flex.

it made it kinda quiet, kinda not, lol

the good thing is that you can buy a 28" glasspack (BTW this is TWICE as big as the magnaflow res.) at advance for $25 or so. i got mine welded in for $20... nice!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
personally if your not looking to spend alot of cash on making it silent go online and get a 100 dollar performance muffler with a silencer

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
i have the same exact exhaust as ^^ EXCEPT: i have a glasspack installed as a resonator on my 2.5" trubendz borla, svt header, svt cat, 2.5" flex.

it made it kinda quiet, kinda not, lol

the good thing is that you can buy a 28" glasspack (BTW this is TWICE as big as the magnaflow res.) at advance for $25 or so. i got mine welded in for $20... nice!!
I'm gonna laugh when you start blowing hair out of your exhaust [hihi]

[joke] I'm sure it's fine........but really I'd laugh.. [paranoid]

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
personally if your not looking to spend alot of cash on making it silent go online and get a 100 dollar performance muffler with a silencer
Why buy a $100 generic muffler when a Magnaflow resonator is $85.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
the only clip i have is way back when i still have the stock flex. I'll post up a clip tomorrow.

And the catback has a muffler, resonator, and a resonated tip (doesnt do squat), however there is no cat. Thats the only reason why i mentioned adding a hi-flo cat.

What makes the stealth exhaust quiet? More baffle plates? Does the stealth have a cat?

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
the FS stealth exhaust just has a 6" res. intead of 4". you could add this yourself to any exhaust system, i heard it was a tight fit tho

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
^i would but those stock svt headers are expensive, id rather just add or change parts from the flex back. I'll have to check the flanges tho, i'm not in the mood to weld new ones on lol

Thanks for that link again, thats what i will most likely do, its the cheapest as well. When you guys were talking about it i thought you meant it was a 6" in length and i was thinkin mine is just as big. Have you used that resonator or at least know how good it deadens sound?

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok here are the clips that i took today. #1 is the typical revving and it sounds sort of raspy on the camera but in person there is none which is what i love about the exhaust. #2 is just speeding up on my street, cruising, and rev matching to stop.

So i was thinking about getting that magnaflow resonator but i had an idea. The piece of pipe that my resonator is welded to is ~30" and the actual resonator is ~18". Instead of replacing my resonator for the magnaflow one, cant i just buy another 4" diameter resonator and put it in sequence with the other. This means that i would have 2 resonators in that 30" section of exhaust pipe instead of the one magnaflow resonator.

(my exhaust minus that huge tip)

The reason i got thinking about that idea is because it would cost $50 less and the fitment would be easier. The note on the cfm page says that the 2.5" resonator is a very tight fit. The drawback to this idea is that the resonator is another ebay one and idk if it will deaden the sound like i want.

TY for the help

·
Registered
331 Posts
Summit has a ton of different sizes of the magnaflow resonators, pretty much anything you can imagine, so for example in that case you could just get a 36" resonator and replace what you have now, rather than using two resonators, which imo would be a lot cleaner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts