Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I had a problem with the check engine light and decided to take a chance on the O2 sensor, the plugs and wires are all new. The check engine light has been cleared and after a 20 mile drive it is still off so I think the O2 was bad. Now my current problem that remains is I have a ruff idle. When I come to a stop the car revs down to 1000 rpms and then a few seconds later down to about 700 rpms and it gets ruff at that point. Now I'm thinking one of two things, one try and find a new idle control sensor at the junkyard or two, on the TB there is a screw stop for the throttle if I adjust it the car will idle at a higher rpm. Now is that the way to go or should I go a different route. I don't want to keep throwing money at this just guessing.

specs: 2001 SPI 5 speed MTX

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
You have a vacuum leak.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well i check all of the vacums today, i even put a new TB gasket in. the only leak that i havent checked for was a intake manifold leak that will be a tuff one.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
No need to guess about vacuum leaks. Get a spray can of carb cleaner, and spray around all the hoses and gasket areas, while the car is idling. Avoid the spark plug/wire/cap area.

The smallest vacuum leak will suck in some of the spray, and the engine will speed up. If you work slowly you can pin-point the leak. Works every time...

·
RespectMyAuthoritah!
7,105 Posts
Now I'm thinking one of two things, one try and find a new idle control sensor at the junkyard or two, on the TB there is a screw stop for the throttle if I adjust it the car will idle at a higher rpm. Now is that the way to go or should I go a different route. I don't want to keep throwing money at this just guessing.

specs: 2001 SPI 5 speed MTX
DON'T DO THAT! You'll be in a world of hurt. The only way to adjust the idle is through the computer, either through a tune or through a dealer. I learned the hard way. Try checking off the dumb stuff first, before getting technical.

·
Registered
743 Posts
DON'T DO THAT! You'll be in a world of hurt. The only way to adjust the idle is through the computer, either through a tune or through a dealer. I learned the hard way. Try checking off the dumb stuff first, before getting technical.
hmmm, why would he be in a world of hurt??

·
RespectMyAuthoritah!
7,105 Posts
Because the computer controls the idle. If you mess with that set screw it will compensate for it and equal itself out to what it was before. After awhile the idle will get all screwy due to the fact that you messed with the set screw. I had about a 3 month or more ordeal with messing with that and just wished i would have never touched the damn thing.

Reactions: norcalfocus01

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do you guys think this is a problem?

I say it was, well found that this moring after checking the repleys and just started the car and moved the PCV hose and heard the leak. So after a quick trip to Ford and 15 minutes later my problem was sloved. Thanks guys rep for all!

·
Flat Black King
8,203 Posts
u know what i had the same problem with mine in the same exact spot. but i got the replacement at oreileys for 10 dollhairs ha j/k dollars

1 - 11 of 11 Posts