Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone
as in my last post i finally came to the conclusion that i am going with a
205/47/17 tire with a FRPP lowering kit
now: my zx3 has 63 000kms on it, with the stock suspension
my question is:
Should i replace the shocks and struts with adjustables?, leave the stock ones on?, or just replace them with aftermarket ones?

ive been told to go with the adjustables (for the obvious reason), but do i really need to replace them at all?

thanks guys

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
If you're going with the Ford racing springs the logical choice would be to go with the Ford Racing shocks/struts as well. A complete kit makes "FAR" more sense than piece-mealing something together and "hoping" that it works. Secondly, there are basically two types of adjustable shocks. The first is similar to a standard replacement shock but has a knob for adjusting rebound and/or compression (examples- Koni or KYB AGX's). The second, comes with an adjustable spring seat (treaded to the shock body) for some additional height control. Some of the better ones also come with compression/rebound controls as well. Which were you considering? FWIW, what's the obvious reason? They're not always better and can be worse if you don't know how to appropriately set up the suspension. A matched spring/shock kit is really the way to go.

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
And yes, if you are adding new springs, new shocks are needed. Shorter stiffer springs need shorter firmer shocks to dampen them.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks
i was actually looking at the KYB's
ive been doing quite a bit or research into this and ive figured out the best way to go is just good old fashioned coilovers

but for the sake of the conversation, you wouldnt recommend just throwing on springs then say adjustable kyb's?

·
!FRENCH FRY!
4,236 Posts
if you're going with springs, especially the frrp springs (which are a significant drop aren't they? 1.8"???) you most definitely want new dampers. such a drop will decrease the life of your stock dampers in a BAD way. not only will the ride not be anything near what it should be if you're still on stock dampers, but there's no telling how soon they may go out on you. those dampers are in no way made for such a spring. some people can ride for a while on the, others they may not last a few thousand miles even. if you're going to do it, it's best to save up and do it all at once, especially if you're paying someone else for installation.

i'm don't know much about the adjustable stuff, but plenty of people on here have the kyb's, they're a solid, quality, trusted set. of course, if you're not planning on doing any autox or any sort of racing....i'd say just go with the full frrp setup, as you really don't need adjustables unless you're actually going to use them. otherwise you're just spending a whole lot more money just to play with your ride setting a little bit simply for driving up and down the road.

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
Thanks
i was actually looking at the KYB's
ive been doing quite a bit or research into this and ive figured out the best way to go is just good old fashioned coilovers

but for the sake of the conversation, you wouldnt recommend just throwing on springs then say adjustable kyb's?
I would never install springs without installing shocks at the same time, but that's me. I do not do things for looks alone. I know that to get the increased performance, handling, and most importantly, not make things worse, an appropriately matched shock is required/mandatory.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts