Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so heres the deal. I bought a set of lowering springs from ebay. These are the adjustable kind where you can move the aluminum sleeve to make it drop between 0-4". But I have no idea on how to use these springs. If any one has done this before or knows how that would be a big help. And pictures would help greatly.. Thx alot

these are what i bought http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...30020612647&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&rd=1

·
Registered
291 Posts
dont do it, they are garbage

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
First of the pictures of the product are shown up side down. The spring seat and the sleeve go under the spring. The sleeve sits directly on the shock perch. There are two rings that thread up and down on the threaded sleeve. The top one is the perch for the bottom of the spring. The bottom on is the lock nut. To stiffen the spring screw the perch and locknut upward. This will also raise ride height a little. To lower the ride do just the opposite....loosen the perch and lock nut. Its unclear what they are providing for the rear since the stock focus is not equipped with coil over struts in the first place. Most manufactures that provide adjustable springs for the rear use a special seat under the springs. I wouldn't trust and springs that sell for 29.95. A good spring will have either a ISO or TUV rating or both. Unless they can provide either rating they are cheap junk.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well that makes sense they also gave me a bag of like 24 rubber o rings some thicker than the others where would those go? And also the ones that I have two of the rings have about a 4 inch sleeve when the other two have about a 2 inch sleeve which ones would be for the fronts and rears?

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
Unfortunately, it sounds like you got universal coil overs. That means the sleeves are intended to fit over a multitude of shocks and intended to be used on lots of cars. This is very common for ebay cheap stuff. What you're suppose to do is use the o-rings as spacers between the shock body and the sleeve (you roll them over the shock body and then slide the sleeve over the o-rings). A quality vericle specific sleeve from a reputable company (Ground Control for example) will fit around a shock like a glove. That's why they cost 200.00 to 300.00 for a set as well. What will eventually happen is that the o-rings will deform and the sleeve will get sloppy and start making all kings of noise. Sorry, this is the downside of cheap parts.

As for the sleeves themselves, my "guess" is that the longer ones are for the front. Sleeves cannot be used on the rear because the focus does not have coilover shocks in the rear and there is no seat on the rear shock for the sleeve to rest on. As I mentioned earlier, most coil over systems that have adjustable rears use a special mount that fits into the existing rear spring perch cup. It has very limited adjustability.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts