Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to get adj cam gears but don't have money for cams. Also I don't' know of any shops in my area with a dyno to dial them in. Is there any way to adjust them without a dyno?

Will I be buying a merely cosmetic upgrade?

They do look nice regardless...

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Somewhat cosmetic and somewhat functional. Far as total drive-ability goes they are used to zero the stock cam timing. There has been debate over this a few times in the past but I'm sticking to my guns in that no one can definitively say that one setting will yield better results vs another.

IMO I think they can be beneficial, but only in the sense that you have a reference point and marks to go by, because all of the adjustability of them can be done without them (just a lot harder to do).

I'd honestly say to save your money for true cams and then the gears to tune them. Sure you can pick up a few HP tuning the stock cams, but you have to ask if it's really cost effective for your situation.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
yeah, some people say that cam gears are the best mod the have (dyno tuned of course). then other people say they are worthless. so like im in hell said, are the gears cost effective? in other words, you can get more bang for the buck from other mods, ex. - cams, svt header, blah, blah, blah, lol sorry

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I haven't taken them off yet, but in researching for a timing belt change, it looks like

All Zetec cam gears are adjustable. The cam timing depends on how everything is aligned when you torque the cam gear holding bolt down as there doesn't seem to be an alignment pin or notch for the gear...........

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
^Correct.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
BUT the aftermarket gears allow you to adjust cam timing without loosening the tension on the timing belt, by the way MUCH easier

·
Registered
386 Posts
yeah, some people say that cam gears are the best mod the have (dyno tuned of course). then other people say they are worthless.
And they both could be right.

If your cams are at an optimal timing position, then you get no gain. If your cam positions are not ideal, adjusting them to the optimal position can give impressive improvements

It's all about where you're starting from!

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
true, but timing varies a little from factory. i would rather get some cams first. maybe then after i have some decent cams but still idont know if i can convince myself to buy the gears. ill prob try to get something that has more bang for the buck.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts