Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So how exactly does the cam gear work on the zetec. I know u can adjust the timing..but how does it work. I heard to adjust it to top dead center, is that accurate?
Is this mod worth it? I heard its a good bang for the buck...
Should i go ahead and buy this part...so far i have a cat back, k&n cone filter, and header(header is on the way)

thanks a lot

·
Registered
10,024 Posts
my advice would be to wait till you have cams, make the most of your power, and dyno all at once, TDCwont be a factor in tuning the geas, it is however a factor on the install of the cams and gears

·
Registered
697 Posts
alowws you to retard and/or advance the timing of your exhaust and intake.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I've heard that you can get up to 12 WHP gain on a Focus with minimal mods, by using adjustable cam gears, is that true or was someone just blowing smoke up my ass

·
Registered
697 Posts
Focaltech just a question for you, not sure if you remember my current set up, but like i was saying my buddie has a wideband set up on his laptop and was pretty accurate with dyno'd cars off my very very little. just curious what's or where the best way to start with them? how many degrees which way? ot sure where i'd start with tuning them

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Also...i heard that if a stray rock hits the open gear it could be really bad...does the stock cover fit over the gears?...how often does this happen and is it somehting that i should worry aobut?

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
Yes the cover fits over the gears. I have had my cover off for 30k miles without a problem.

There is no best place to start. Every engine is different, its all about trying and seeing what works.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Cam Gears are the Next thing I'm going to get, just to adjust the stock cams because almost every focus has different stock timing...

·
Registered
127 Posts
how much more whp will the crower stage 2 cams with cam gears dynoed give me than putting on my cam gears with stock cams and getting them dynoed. I'm not sure if that made sense so i'll do this.

stock cams with dynoed findanza cam gears = ? whp
crower stage 2 cams with dynoed findanza cam gears = ? whp

just wondering i'm ordering my cams tuesday. I'm not really sure who off of yet.

·
Registered
236 Posts
it would probably be best to get both aftermarket cams, and cam gears, than you can set your timing perfectly, and get the most HP and Torque possible.

·
Boosted
2,814 Posts
friend of mine said for new cams & cam gears, u could use the ones from a FOCUS RS-not 2 sure on that though-

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
lanting90 said:
friend of mine said for new cams & cam gears, u could use the ones from a FOCUS RS-not 2 sure on that though-

You may be able to but the rs cams probaly wouldnt make as much power as some other cams because of them being for a turbo.

·
Registered
697 Posts
i have a letter/e-mail from Jeff (focaltech) figured i'd share with everyone since it was a huge help to me.

·
Registered
697 Posts
"In order to tune cam gears on a dyno here is what I do.

Start with the exhaust gear only, first you make a few baseline runs to
get a good base number. Then retard the exhaust -2 degrees and make a
run, if the result is more power go -2 more degrees and run it again. If
there is a loss when it is at -4 go back and add one degree to bring it
to -3 degrees, run it again. If there is a gain then go another -2
degrees and run it again. So if you make more power and your total is -6
degrees you can go -2 more, if there is a loss at this point you can dial
it back -1 to -5 degrees. Understand so far?

Remember you don't touch the intake side yet. Once you get the power
where you want it on the exhaust, leave the gear there and don't touch it
again.

You do the same thing for the intake side except you advance the gear
+2 degrees, run it, if you get good power then go another +2 degrees and
run it again. Keep going +2 until you get to a run where you lose
power."

hope ya did'nt mind me sahring this jeff, figured it'd help everyone else out alot as well.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
instead of a dyno would a timing light work as well?

·
Registered
291 Posts
So on every zetec is the degrees adjustment different or the same. If its the same couldnt somone just tell me so i dont have to spend 200 on getting them tuned?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts