Focus Fanatics Forum banner

21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Personally the only additive I use in my own vehicles when it comes to engine oil are products like Lucas heavy duty oil stabilizer.
I have used Lucas heavy duty oil stabilizer or a product similar to it for well over a decade and it definitely helps with oil burning especially for the first couple thousand miles until it starts to break down.

I do want to make it clear though I only use if it burns oil.

I use Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30 synthetic in all of my vehicles.

You say stick to your own car what if I own a lot of cars?

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
To be clear, I'm not saying all opinion is worthless.

Today I'm going to buy tires. The dealer sells a lot of tires. And he makes good on the sale if the customer has problems. I ask his opinion about tires, but his opinion is based on direct experience, not hearsay.

That's the difference.

If you're a fleet manager maybe you know something about "most cars" in your fleet. But that still doesn't mean "most cars" on the road.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Stuff I use or have used:

Seafoam...good to use if you don't like your neighbor and like to pollute

Techron...probably a good injector cleaner if you use the concentrate

Lubegard for autotrans...a full flush with synth ATF and added Lubegard to keep a auto trans working well..with new filter

I now use 2 qts regular oil and 2 qts synth oil...and run it for a full year...using a Pure1 filter...but only maybe 5K miles...

I have done what could be called an additive treatment series...where with one oil change I use moly...the next a teflon additive...then maybe a graphite additive...each at one oil change maybe 3-4 K apart...new filter...have also used moly in diffs and manual trans

For a while at each oil change I put a pint of kerosene in the hot motor oil and ran it at idle for 15 mins...then drained...always came out black as if draining a diesel engine...

Messed with a lot of fuel additives mainly for increasing mileage...most were home-brewed...not sure I gained any MPG due to the placebo effect where you tend to drive easier if you use an additive...Also built and tested a hydrogen generator which basically splits water producing hydrogen and O2...can't say I saw any MPG gain though...

Mean time the car companies were "forced" to get serious about mpg and have made serious gains...

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
If you knock loose deposits much is harmless but some has reduced down over and over and turning into carbon then later into hard carbon which can physically break things.
With further reading, I conclude that flushes work for most people, but an unlucky few suffer major engine failure. One person even claimed it can happen with Marvel Mystery Oil in the crankcase. Very unlucky I would say.

One mechanic made interesting remarks about flushes, and MMO:

www.quora.com/How-would-you-rate-Marvel-Mystery-Oil-as-a-crankcase-additive

The takeaway for me is, be cautious what I undertake, and careful how I do it.

Semi trucks go 25,000 miles between oil changes. To make a profit, truckers stay on the road and out of the shop. If they can do it, why not I. They're pros, they know. Car mechanics, OTOH, don't want any accusation of liability from customers, so they keep preaching the 3,000 mile oil change religion.

www.internationalusedtrucks.com/maintenance-tips/semi-truck-oil-change-intervals/

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I have done work personal experience on heavy duty engines. They hold like 50 quarts of oil some probably even more. On top of it they use huge oil filters some even using multiple oil filters.

Diesel also doesn't do the damage to motor oil like gasoline does.

·
Registered
25 Posts
With further reading, I conclude that flushes work for most people, but an unlucky few suffer major engine failure. One person even claimed it can happen with Marvel Mystery Oil in the crankcase. Very unlucky I would say.

One mechanic made interesting remarks about flushes, and MMO:

www.quora.com/How-would-you-rate-Marvel-Mystery-Oil-as-a-crankcase-additive

The takeaway for me is, be cautious what I undertake, and careful how I do it.

Semi trucks go 25,000 miles between oil changes. To make a profit, truckers stay on the road and out of the shop. If they can do it, why not I. They're pros, they know. Car mechanics, OTOH, don't want any accusation of liability from customers, so they keep preaching the 3,000 mile oil change religion.

www.internationalusedtrucks.com/maintenance-tips/semi-truck-oil-change-intervals/
Also, you have to remember that large diesel trucks also run MUCH more cool than your small gasoline engine. Heat breaks down oil.

Reactions: zacautomotive

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #33

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
And BTW, you don't need to quote an entire message. Highlight some text with your mouse. Click "Quote" at the bottom of the message. See the boxes under the new message you are writing. There will be another one to insert your quoted text.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I should have said that better as the other person mentioned diesel engines don't run as hot, and heat by far is the number one killer of oil.

Now diesel oil has to deal with soot, but the oil has an additive package to deal with that.

More oil, more filtration, less heat and a different additive package equals longer oil change intervals.

Don't worry this is my last post you're being rude to everyone.

Maybe, but I'm no expert, so IDK. I'd like to see published references on that.

·
Registered
25 Posts
And BTW, you don't need to quote an entire message. Highlight some text with your mouse. Click "Quote" at the bottom of the message. See the boxes under the new message you are writing. There will be another one to insert your quoted text.
Oil temperature runs about 20-30°F cooler in my large diesel trucks than in my car. Idk how much more "factual" you can get?

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Has nothing to do with that.

You don't realize car freaks me included have dedicated a portion of our lives to vehicles. I spent a significant amount of time in the classroom and in the shop to increase my education about cars.

I don't need to find a Google web page that backs up what I say, because I have the credentials to back it up.

I don't give a darn if you blow up your car, but I feel bad for someone who doesn't know better reading your crap.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Looks like you and "Skikri" are the same person. I was talking about semi trucks not your whoop-de-dualie pickup.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Looks like you and "Skikri" are the same person. I was talking about semi trucks not your whoop-de-dualie pickup.
I am talking about semis. Lol
I also work on smaller diesels too but those aren't as often.

21 - 40 of 59 Posts