Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Tomorrow I'll pick up my 2004 Ford Focus. I want to make an additional key so I contacted the Ford dealership but they'll charge 225 EUR for it.. The other solution is to buy a a blank key myself and get it to work on my car. I've read how to program the key to be able to start the engine and unlock the car, but I just need to get the key fit into the keyhole.

If I'd buy a blank key and bring it to a locksmith and get him to duplicate my key so it fits in the keyhole, would that also work?

I'd just have to program the key myself but that'd be no problem.

·
Registered
17,163 Posts
Generally you MUST have two keys already to program a THIRD key, if you don't have the two you can't do it.....................read the owners' manual.

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
Hello,

Tomorrow I'll pick up my 2004 Ford Focus. I want to make an additional key so I contacted the Ford dealership but they'll charge 225 EUR for it.. The other solution is to buy a a blank key myself and get it to work on my car. I've read how to program the key to be able to start the engine and unlock the car, but I just need to get the key fit into the keyhole.

If I'd buy a blank key and bring it to a locksmith and get him to duplicate my key so it fits in the keyhole, would that also work?

I'd just have to program the key myself but that'd be no problem.
What you said is EXACTLY what I did. Like AMC said, I had 2 PATS keys and programmed a 3rd key myself without any special tools. It was very easy. However, I have no idea how your euro version programming requirements might be different than mine/ours here in the USA.

Stumbled into this euro key programming video just now; this guy was using a "programmer" of some sort, and he did it without first using 2 original keys.-> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fg0vGB7QpHI

For anyone else with North American type Foci, here is the video I used, super easy! ->https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oJXWE_SKvM

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. The car I buy comes with two keys, one with a remote control and one "master key" as the salesman called it, it's just the flat key without remote control.

The information I had about programming the key came from a Dutch forum about Ford Focus so that'd be fine.

The thing I am concerned about is the fact I have the "thicker" key which is different from regular keys of houses that locksmiths mostly sell, so I just hope the locksmith won't mess up the key and render it useless.. Anyways I've just ordered the key that would work on my Ford.

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
I'm unsure about your situation, but for North American Foci, a flat master key will not start the car because it does not have the PATS chip inside it. The flat master key can also NOT be used to duplicate or program a new PATS key.

I have a flat master key and it will only lock and unlock the doors.

If your flat master key DOES start the car, please come back and tell us about it. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
"Thicker" key is good, it needs the thick plastic handle section to hold the "chip" that is recognized by the car once programmed into the system.

Locksmith would have no problem cutting that type, plastic handle keys were around & cut without trouble long before "chipped" keys.

Euro versions combine a chipped key & a remote control into the larger version - for those years we got a separate remote & key in North America.

·
Registered
17,163 Posts
X2, any locksmith damaging an original key needs to close up shop, too easy not to do.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts