Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've read through a quite a few existing threads about adding additional grounds, but for me, I am not looking for any more than 1 or 2 additional grounds to the engine and 1 or 2 additional grounds to the frame.

What I am asking is for a bit of help identifying locations that I can route these extra grounds to.

I'm considering using a ground distribution block, which would make things quite a bit cleaner with regards to routing.

However, in your opinion, where would be the best places to route additional ground wires to?

I see that the engine lift bracket in the front of the engine on the head is definitely a place I'm going to run an additional ground to because it's simple to access.

Where are other locations that I can attach ground wires to? I'm not looking to start a ground wire revolution, but I would like to add extra grounds because I feel that even though I've done a "Big 3" upgrade, which helped tremendously, the car could still use a bit more help in the ground department.

I can post a photo of my engine compartment if necessary. Just let me know.

Edit: It may or may not be somewhat relevant, but I did remove the paint from the two frame ground connections under the air filter box and applied dielectric grease. I saw a video of that as a sticky on the forum for a newer vehicle (that I can't remember the name of), and figured it would probably benefit my vehicle as well.

2003 ZX3 w/Zetec engine

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
I know what the big-3 upgrade is, but not the exact details of it.

1 - You have cleaned-up and/or replaced the stock engine ground cable.

2 - You want to add a second engine ground cable. You plan to connect this one to the engine lift-eyelet and the other end anywhere on the frame. That's cool, I did similar.

Are you wanting to add a 3rd engine ground cable? If yes, I would say it's un-necessary. What is a good location for the 3rd ground point on the engine? -I would reword it to say what location is not good? Pretty much anywhere would work.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I define the Big 3 as upgrading the following to a larger gauge wire:

1) the positive battery cable from the alternator to the battery (and starter),

2) ground to engine and

3) ground to frame.
I also upgraded the rear engine lift eyelet to frame ground cable to a larger gauge wire.

I'm looking for maybe 1 to 2 extra grounds to the engine and 1 or 2 extra grounds to the frame. I'm not dead set on a number.

If the one extra ground to the engine on the front engine lift eyelet is sufficient, that's what I'll go with.

Any thoughts on adding one more extra ground to the frame?

Edit: As far as locations, I'll be honest, I'm looking for quick and easy locations to route the extra grounds to. If it is not quick and easy, it should be optimal as far as increasing the benefit the ground will provide.

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
The distro block is a good idea.

use 2-0/1 gauge

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you everyone. I'll run an additional ground to the front engine lift bracket and another one to the strut tower and call it a day. I'll do that at the same time I swap out my alternator pigtail and ignition coil pigtail.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
While replacing the ignition coil pigtail, I went on and ran an additional 4 gauge wire I already had to the front engine lift bracket and I don't know if it was the coil or the ground, but I noticed that the lights are brighter and the infamous flicker is went from being 98.5% gone to 99.5% gone.

Also, I notice that the engine revs down a bit faster (and more solidly, if that makes sense) than before when coming to a stop. It seems to be smoother.

I'm going to run one or two more grounds to the body when I get more wire and I'm going to call it done with the extra grounds.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts