Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am attempting to add pictures to the startup screen and thus I can set my car to start up on my own picture instead of the "ford" wallpaper or 4/8 screen selection.

I have tried 4 different ways including

1. 256 meg usb drive
2. 16 gb usb drive
3. 4gb sd card in Sandisk drive
4. 4 gb sd card in sd slot with Navigation SD card removed.

I have formatted the drives to MS Dos Fat as this is the only selection on my mac.
I have sized all the pictures to 800 by 378 and tried 3 different size/quality keeping under the 1.5 mb limit.
I have saved the pictures in jpeg format under name

and in all cases I get as far as seeing the drive, and seeing the files with the jpeg ending however it always says the same thing

"Import failed, the selected file could not be imported. Please insure that it is properly formatted."

I have done this over 10 times and always the same result, I know all the drives work, and I have confirmed all the pictures are there.

I am using a Mac computer with OS 10.6.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

thanks

tim

·
Registered
218 Posts
I am attempting to add pictures to the startup screen and thus I can set my car to start up on my own picture instead of the "ford" wallpaper or 4/8 screen selection.

I have tried 4 different ways including

1. 256 meg usb drive
2. 16 gb usb drive
3. 4gb sd card in Sandisk drive
4. 4 gb sd card in sd slot with Navigation SD card removed.

I have formatted the drives to MS Dos Fat as this is the only selection on my mac.
I have sized all the pictures to 800 by 378 and tried 3 different size/quality keeping under the 1.5 mb limit.
I have saved the pictures in jpeg format under name

and in all cases I get as far as seeing the drive, and seeing the files with the jpeg ending however it always says the same thing

"Import failed, the selected file could not be imported. Please insure that it is properly formatted."

I have done this over 10 times and always the same result, I know all the drives work, and I have confirmed all the pictures are there.

I am using a Mac computer with OS 10.6.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

thanks

tim
Uploading photos for your home screen wallpaper
Your system allows you to upload and view up to 32 photos.
To access:
1. Press Menu > Display > Edit Wallpaper.
2. Follow the system prompts to upload your photographs.
Note: You can NOT load photos directly from your camera. You MUST
access the photos from either your USB mass storage device or from an
SD card.
Photo display limitations:
• Compatible file formats are as follows: .jpg, .gif, .png, .bmp
• Each file must be 1.5 MB or less.
• Recommended dimensions: 800 x 378• Only the photograph(s) which meet these conditions will be
displayed. Photographs with extremely large dimensions (i.e., 2048
x 1536) may not be compatible and will appear as a blank (black)
image on the display.

Make sure the file format is .jpg and not .jpeg

·
Registered
263 Posts
Also, it doesn't change the 'Ford' start up screen. Its just a wallpaper that you can view instead of the 4 separate windows for radio/nav/climate/phone. Here is mine.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I tried this last night and it will not work. All files are .jpg and show up on the screen as selectable, however when I select them, I get the not properly formatted error. I even tried re-sizing and reducing them to around 92k, it's almost like my unit is locked out from making any changes

[facepalm]

·
Registered
42 Posts

·
Registered
788 Posts
I tried this last night and it will not work. All files are .jpg and show up on the screen as selectable, however when I select them, I get the not properly formatted error. I even tried re-sizing and reducing them to around 92k, it's almost like my unit is locked out from making any changes

[facepalm]
That is the same message I get. My image is foramtted correctly and a jpeg image. I'm hoping this clears up after the MFT update tomorrow.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok I got it figured out, there is correct and incorrect info on the screen.

The max picture is 800x378 no more and If you do the math that is 302,400 or about 300 k and not the 1.5 Meg max that is displayed on the screen.

The MI6 screen is 92k and far from 1.5 Meg.

When I checked my picture size is was bigger then 800x378 and when I got them smaller it saw them and worked perfectly.

I tried re-sizing my pictures with a Mac, and even though I selected 800x378 it would not down size them from my 8 Meg source.

So the answer is keep them e-mail size and it should work.

Thanks for the help of others in making this work, I thought Ford might only accept PC pictures and not those from a Mac.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I created it. Here are some more:

Missed call from your girlfriend:

For the drive-in movies:
Faygo,
Can you give us some insight as to what software you are using and the fonts? Those are damn cool [headbang]. I would love to create some as well.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Dare I say we should start a MFT homescreen wallpaper thread?

·
Registered
573 Posts
Faygo,
Can you give us some insight as to what software you are using and the fonts? Those are damn cool [headbang]. I would love to create some as well.
Of course, of course... lets see everyone get some going! [wrenchin]

I took actual images of MFT screens from Google and then painstakingly compared the type and size etc of fonts and boxes and replicated them as a transparent layer so that I could see when they matched.

This is all using Photoshop.

James Bond fonts are Arial, Regular, 19pt, Crisp Anti-Alias...

The original images had the four corners (phone, nav, audio, environment) and so I erased over those with the background color (666 oddly enough), while keeping the total size at 800x378. Then when you use them as a wallpaper, MFT tosses the corners back on top and you're good to go.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I've got a suggestion.

Instead of the logo for "Radar Countermeasures" being an "i", shouldn't it be like a radar screen circle sweep?
Good idea... hard to change an image to that size and make it not fuzzy, so I drew one... (2 circles, 2 lines, 1 triangle gradient).

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
How are you saving them after you alter them? This thread seems to indicate some people are having problems setting their wallpaper but obviously these work for you. What file format, image size, resolution, etc. are you going with (and yes I can read the earlier posts but even at the recommended settings it seems some are having trouble)? I would like to know from someone that is doing this successfully. Save me a little headache down the road.

·
Registered
573 Posts
How are you saving them after you alter them? This thread seems to indicate some people are having problems setting their wallpaper but obviously these work for you. What file format, image size, resolution, etc. are you going with (and yes I can read the earlier posts but even at the recommended settings it seems some are having trouble)? I would like to know from someone that is doing this successfully. Save me a little headache down the road.
Image size is 800 x 378, 72ppi.

Save for web as jpeg, max quality.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts