Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search for this and couldn't come up with anything - sorry if this is a repost.

Has anyone ever added more power outlets to their car? I want to make it look as good... aka stock... as possible so I'm gonna have to drill into the dash or the center console or glove box... I'm sure the entire thing cannot be that difficult especiially if I use the power from the original outlet it is simple - to -, + to +, screw to ground stuff. I've installed a few new car stereos into old cars (pioneer... something... into an 88 caddy) so I'm no stranger to wiring things. It can't be much more complicated than that right? Also, will running these off essentially the same outlet blow my fuse? If so does anyone have any other ideas?[scratch]

Thanks I can use all the input I can get...

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
depends on how much wattage you are going to draw. But I think the stock wiring is good enough. Less than 400 watts, I see no problems (most inverters are only like 150-300 watts anyways).

If you are going more than 400 watts, I think you should make a new ground, and 8 AWG (fused) wire going to the battery.

I wanted to hookup my inverter real quick inside my hatch, so I connected it to the amp ground, and amp [B+] terminal

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah I'm looking at basic stuff - cell charger, ipod charger, radar etc... since that all runs off the normal outlet I shouldn't have any problems then right?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Fuses blow because of excessive current.

Watts = Voltage * Current

Scenario 1:

Voltage = 5
Current = 50

Fuse rated for 30 amps

Watts = 5 * 50 = 250watts

Scenario 2:

Voltage = 50
Current = 5

Fuse rated for 30 amps

Watts = 50 * 5 = 250watts

Scenario one will blow the fuse, scenario two will not.

Depending on how much current you will draw will determine whether or not you can run each outlet through one fuse (or if you will need to fuse each outlet (which I would advise))

1 - 5 of 5 Posts