Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys,
so i was wondering how difficult would it be to add factory fog lights to my focus. like what amout of wireing would i have to do. ill oviously need the lights and a new switch and the plastic pieces that hole the lihts but its the wireing thats really conserning me. any help is appreciated.
thanx
tyler

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Dont know about the factory ones but I did aftermarket ones on my 08 and it was not difficult at all I just went slow and made sure what I was doing make sense in my head and Im no expert on wiring. But arnt the factory ones after the purchase of the car like $300 or more?>

·
Registered
16,194 Posts
you may have the harness for the lights on your car. some of the foci are wired and ready to go. others like mine arent

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i would LOVE if they were pre-wiired, i didnt even think to look 4 that. ill have 2 do that in the morning. sweet thanx guys

·
Registered
259 Posts
i took on that project last summer. ford makes a kit for around $300 that includes the fog lights w/ bezels, switch and wiring. i didnt get the kit because wiring and relays werent an issue for me. thats my job. if you have any kind of an electrical background in vehicles w/ relay experience i would suggest making your own kit. i used 2 relays, bought the bezels from ford, the lights off of ebay, and spent like $80 all together. the only difference between mine and factory are that mine will come on anytime the parking lights are on, and i dont have to pull the switch out to activate them. i had to tap into my high beams and parking lights for this to work. the parking light circuit is what turned the fog lights on, and the high beams would interupt the circuit (shut the fog lights off) when turned on. i dont remember the wire colors for my parking light circuit or high beams but they were both a positive circuit and ill tell you the relay configurations.
relay #1
85- positive parking light circuit pin#30 off of relay #2
86- ground
87- fused battery
30- output 12volts to foglights
relay #2
85- positive high beam circuit from vehicle
86- ground
87a- positive parking light circuit from vehicle
30- positive parking light circuit going to relay #1 pin#85
the project took all but an hour and a half and i mounted the relays and wiring down in the drivers kick beside the fusebox.
if you have and questions let me know!

·
Registered
41 Posts
if you arnt too concerned about using the factory fog light switch, it would be very easy.
You need
lights, wiring sockets, decent amount of 14 ga wire (2 colors would be best), electrical tape, zip ties, crimp connectors (or/and solder), and a relay and a fuse and holder.
First, get all the factory mounting brackets and lights and bulbs. First step is to get the matching sockets for the bulbs. I dont know about the newer cars, if 893 bulbs like the earlier cars I know there is a socket you can get. If they are h3 bulbs you dont need a socket.
Anyway.
mount the foglights on the car now the wiring fun.
crimp or solder the 2 different wires to the 1 of the connectors and plan your route from the battery to the foglight. Now cut the wires at least 6" longer than you need (nothing worse than being a 1/2 too short. Easy to cut shorter, hard to cut longer)
Now do the same for the second fog light.
Now carefully loom the wires using the electrical tape, just start wrapping. Start at the connector end. This will protect and hide the wires.
Now permanently run the wires using the zip ties where needed. If you are carefull you can hide them pretty well.
Now the connections. You can put a ring terminal on each of one color wire and then find a decent bolt to ground them at, near the battery.
Now you can connect the other 2 wires together and connect them to terminal #87 on the relay.
Connect the #30 terminal to the fuse then to the battery.
You can connect #86 to the same place you grounded the lights.

Next we have to decide how to make the lights work, I like mine to go on and off with the parking lights, like factory. You can either add a switch and be able to turn them off with the lights on, or just use the parking light as the switch and they go on and off with the parking lights using the factory switch.
Anyway, you have to find the hot wire for the parking light, using a scotch lok tap into that wire and either run the wire into the car to the switch and back out
or
run that wire directly to the #85 terminal.

Now just mount the relay and it is done

·
Registered
259 Posts
if you install them into your parking light circuit without a 2nd relay for high beams, every time you turn on your high beams, your fogs would still stay on which is illegal. you have to install it as i stated with 2 relays one being on the high beam circuit to interupt the fog lights and the other for power. or you can use one relay as mentioned above for power but to activate the fog lights, you would have to use a toggle switch.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts