Focus Fanatics Forum banner

141 - 160 of 186 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
I did not know they released a newer version of the lockpick. The older model could not enable the cam. I see they fixed that on version 2

The original lockpick instructions that I saw clearly stated it could not.
This is correct. I looked into the original unit to do this but saw that it would not work with our cars. The LockPick2 does work though. I will be ordering this after my tune.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Yup, that's the OEM camera. People freak out because they think they have to drill a hole in the steel door skin, but it is just a plastic cover that houses the camera and tailgate latch. Here are a few pics from my ebay camera install with rear latch button and LED light:
The sedan has a different license plate light so, in spite of what many ads say, the cameras I'm seeing won't be a good fit on the sedan - I'm still looking.

·
Registered
845 Posts
The sedan has a different license plate light so, in spite of what many ads say, the cameras I'm seeing won't be a good fit on the sedan - I'm still looking.
Depending on your build date, you can get the OEM camera and bracket for a sedan for about a buck 75.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Depending on your build date, you can get the OEM camera and bracket for a sedan for about a buck 75.
Yeah, I'm sure I can. But when I can get and adapt a low-light aftermarket CCD backup camera in the $40 range, my cheapness gene won't permit me to spend another $175 on top of the $330 for the Lockpick2.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Thanks Tiger-Heli but all of those are for earlier models and won't work with mine. The '12/'13 sedans apparently have a single light and the trunk opener button incorporated with the unit so I'll probably have to mount it either on the license plate or with a bracket or drilled hole next to the plate light/latch button. Not a big deal, just not quite as elegant.

·
Registered
855 Posts

That's the camera from earlier in the thread - those pics look pretty similar to me - you would have a button in the middle that might not work on the sedan, but otherwise, it looks to me like it would work ...

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
That's the camera from earlier in the thread - those pics look pretty similar to me - you would have a button in the middle that might not work on the sedan, but otherwise, it looks to me like it would work ...
The truck button on the sedan is behind the led light. So that middle button should hook up. Does anyone have a pic of a hatchback light/release without a camera? And a sedan with a factory backup camera installed?

·
Registered
184 Posts
The truck button on the sedan is behind the led light. So that middle button should hook up. Does anyone have a pic of a hatchback light/release without a camera? And a sedan with a factory backup camera installed?
My car is an SE sedan with the factory camera. It is seperate from the release handle/licence plate light and offset to one side:

·
Registered
264 Posts
Can anyone explain to me how you would wire the camera into the rear brake light?

·
Registered
845 Posts
Can anyone explain to me how you would wire the camera into the rear brake light?
To get power for the camera, but it unnecessary on our MK3 focii. There is a fuse panel in the hatch area/trunk, just pop in an add a circuit fuse tap to a switched power circuit and your golden.

·
Registered
264 Posts
To get power for the camera, but it unnecessary on our MK3 focii. There is a fuse panel in the hatch area/trunk, just pop in an add a circuit fuse tap to a switched power circuit and your golden.
Do you have any fuses to suggest? :)

·
Registered
140 Posts
rear backup light

I tapped into the backup light. 2 thumb screws and the taillights pop right out. Camera only comes onin reverse. The reverse lights have plenty of juice to power the camera ibought. Attach 2 wires, power and ground. Solder connections and coat connections with silicone since there is a large void behind the taillights the connections will be exposed to weather.

Do you have any fuses to suggest? :)

·
Registered
264 Posts
I tapped into the backup light. 2 thumb screws and the taillights pop right out. Camera only comes onin reverse. The reverse lights have plenty of juice to power the camera ibought. Attach 2 wires, power and ground. Solder connections and coat connections with silicone since there is a large void behind the taillights since the connections will be exposed to weather.
My question to you is if you are using the Lockpick and you want to view the camera while driving, will comnecting it to thw brake light allow you to do that?

·
Registered
845 Posts
My question to you is if you are using the Lockpick and you want to view the camera while driving, will connecting it to the reverse light allow you to do that?
No, you need power that is on whenever the key is on to do that.

·
Registered
264 Posts
No, you need power that is on whenever the key is on to do that.
So i should add a circuit to the fuse box in the trunk for a "key on/off" fuse. Ill let you all know what fuse i decide to use!

141 - 160 of 186 Posts