Focus Fanatics Forum banner

121 - 140 of 186 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
[QUOTE
Just finished my backup camera install on my 2012 titanium. I previously purchased a full Nav unit from a wreck down south. I received the unit without any harness, wires, etc. :)[/QUOTE]

Very sweet. Now I just have to find a nav unit off a wreck. [clap]

·
Registered
468 Posts
Or get one of these for $300. http://www.coastaletech.com/focuslockpick.htm

The cool thing about the lock pick is that you have no cut wires and the ability to install a front camera that activates automatically under 7mph. Turn signal cameras and video in motion, even without the camera option.
Ah, they have finally come out with the unit. It is now on order. What camera did you get? Quality anyone? I drove a buddy's loaded Dodge 1-ton with OEM backup camera installed and I found the quality to be very poor, almost worthless IMO - dim, distorted, and useless with a trailer installed.

·
Registered
140 Posts
480 Lines at .01 lux is pretty much the standard and the quality is pretty poor. I was looking for a 720 lines camera, but couldn't find one. If you are going to use the backup lights as a power source, make sure you verify voltage.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Thanks. That's what I'm finding too. CCD is the camera of choice too, better image quality and less susceptible to interference than CMOS. Anybody out there have a picture of the OEM camera location?

·
Registered
468 Posts
Thanks. I've been looking and I think the OEM camera is located about there.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Yup, that's the OEM camera. People freak out because they think they have to drill a hole in the steel door skin, but it is just a plastic cover that houses the camera and tailgate latch. Here are a few pics from my ebay camera install with rear latch button and LED light:

Just for meh, here are a few pics of my recent headlight mod:

·
Registered
468 Posts
Man, threads like these just beg me to spend $350 on a lockpick so i can do this. Is that still the cheapest they come?
I just ordered one from www.solidsignal.com for $319.99 plus $8 shipping. That was the best price I found. Still deciding on the camera though. Oh yeah, solid signal has a not underlined in bold that this does NOT work with MFT that did not have a factory camera installed - however, Coastal eTech has a posting that says it DOES work - they're the makers, trust their site.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I just ordered one from www.solidsignal.com for $319.99 plus $8 shipping. That was the best price I found. Still deciding on the camera though. Oh yeah, solid signal has a not underlined in bold that this does NOT work with MFT that did not have a factory camera installed - however, Coastal eTech has a posting that says it DOES work - they're the makers, trust their site.
Makes me wish I'd ordered the parking tech package from Ford - it was only $375, as I recall.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Don't waste your time with the lockpick unit. It states right in the manual that you have to have a working camera already, then you can add extra cameras if you wish. It cannot enable a camera on car not factory equipped.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Don't waste your time with the lockpick unit. It states right in the manual that you have to have a working camera already, then you can add extra cameras if you wish. It cannot enable a camera on car not factory equipped.
Like the other dude said though, the coastaltech one says it enables the camera which is different than the other lockpicks I've seen online. Anyone have one of these able to confirm?

edited for link
https://www.coastaletech.com/mytouch.htm

·
Registered
516 Posts
Like the other dude said though, the coastaltech one says it enables the camera which is different than the other lockpicks I've seen online. Anyone have one of these able to confirm?

edited for link
If you go to your link TehMark and choose Focus on the left sidebar, that page has red text about half way down on the right that reads "NOTE:
THE LOCKPICK CAN TURN ON A REAR VIEW CAMERA INPUT IN A VEHICLE THAT IS NOT ALREADY FACTORY EQUIPPED" so I would assume that the page you linked is the generic version and they have either made a focus specific version that works with out cars or a software update that makes it work.

·
Registered
845 Posts

edited for link
I did not know they released a newer version of the lockpick. The older model could not enable the cam. I see they fixed that on version 2

The original lockpick instructions that I saw clearly stated it could not.

121 - 140 of 186 Posts