Focus Fanatics Forum banner

61 - 80 of 186 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Two options:

1. Titanium 401A options comes with rear parking sensors only.
2. Parking Technology Package comes with front/rear parking sensors and backup camera integrated into MFT.

I have option one but want a camera integrated into MFT. Hence, the problem and I've confirmed this with Ford service once again and they said yes, they will definitely get this done but it will take 2-3 months. -.-

·
Registered
169 Posts
Two options:

1. Titanium 401A options comes with rear parking sensors only.
2. Parking Technology Package comes with front/rear parking sensors and backup camera integrated into MFT.

I have option one but want a camera integrated into MFT. Hence, the problem and I've confirmed this with Ford service once again and they said yes, they will definitely get this done but it will take 2-3 months. -.-
I figured but just wanted to make sure.
Thanx

Now I should go back and slap my dealer. So far I have been "teaching" them more about this car than they know themselves.

Showed them where the hood pop was, the convenience signal.
Then explained to another the SONY system is removed with the Nav package install, showed the Titanium handling package w/the 18" wheels on the sticker..

Not saying I know everything but damn...lol

·
Registered
264 Posts
Any updates on this?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Got an update from my dealer today, told me they will have to wait for MFT 2.0 before they can add the backup camera. I asked WHY and the only "real" answer I got was because "Ford corporate said so". [idea]

·
Registered
10 Posts
Got an update from my dealer today, told me they will have to wait for MFT 2.0 before they can add the backup camera. I asked WHY and the only "real" answer I got was because "Ford corporate said so". [idea]
At least you got an answer. It seems rediculous that Ford will not offer some kind of a back up package that can be purchased through the parts department for the thousands of customers who desire a backup camera without having to buy the self parking feature.
If any Ford gurus are viewing this thread, perhaps you may be able to get a few brownie points from superiors by suggesting that this simple add-on of OEM parts can be accomplished through the parts department, making a profit and keeping Ford customers happy. If this situation isn't addressed soon, then aftermarket companies will fill the void with cheap inferior parts from China thus giving more US Dollars to non-american sources. Wake up america!

·
Registered
936 Posts
........... If this situation isn't addressed soon, then aftermarket companies will fill the void with cheap inferior parts from China thus giving more US Dollars to non-american sources. Wake up america!
The factory electronics are all built overseas anyways. But they could still keep us happy and turn a huge profit by selling us the cameras they get for $5 each for a few hundred and dealer install (I'm sure they'll charge 3 hours labour @ $149/hr).

I'm keeping a close eye on this thread to see if it ever becomes available... to be honest, I'm quite surprised it hasn't yet. Haven't a clue what's keeping them, at this point.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Hi, thousands of customers need backup camera's, can't they park properly or what? My car has those funny reflective things mounted on the doors to help me ;-)
Chris

·
Registered
10 Posts
I received a callback from a tech at Sonic Electronics lastnite in regards to the latest info he had on the 2012 Ford Focus aftermarket backup camera adaptation. He told me that Lock Pick is presently working on the project however it may be approximately three months before we see anything that will be on the market. At least thats a start in the right direction.
I still would prefer to install a OEM factory backup camera and module with the correct wiring harness with proper installation instructions provided by Ford. Someone reading this thread must have a inside connection with Ford to bring up the subject for review and implementation.

·
Registered
399 Posts
If it involves anything major (ABFORDGUY mentioned several different main harnesses available) I highly doubt people will pay thousands of dollars to install a factory backup camera after the fact. Some of these harnesses can run into the thousands, plus the other modules and equipment required, plus the install time, and the programming headaches involved since you'd have to "steal" another VIN and use the programming from that one to try and reprogram yours.

I saw a tech at my dealer (who is a genius at electrical) spend 14 hours on an F150 to integrate a factory backup camera. He was running extra wiring, programming various modules and in the end he was left with a backup camera that only worked intermittently. He spent 14 hours on it, and got paid for 3. I think they ended up pulling the whole thing out and went with the little 100 dollar aftermarket deal. After seeing that, I will never attempt anything similar. While it would be cool to solve the puzzle, I like receiving a paycheque too.

The reason why some of you are getting very little support with it, I really think dealers aren't willing to take a gamble, using your wallet, to see if it can be done. Ford probably isn't getting into it for liability reasons. Someone will find a way to sue them for it. Anytime I have to ask an engineer about technical matters and it involves any kind of modification they don't even go near it. If the vehicle has modifications already, they advise me to "return it to stock before proceeding" LOL. Its all liability.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Has anyone removed their MFT to see what, if any, imputs it has? Pictures. Anyone willing to do it?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Has there been any updates on this? I just bought a 2012 Titanium and the dealership said it would be no problem to add a backup camera later because the car they found me didn't have it. Now, they are telling me it will be more expensive than they told me, plus they can only have the rear camera show through the rearview mirror, not the MFT. I'm extremely irritated. Thankfully I just got my Ford survey, so I can point all these issues out to them. Not sure they will care though.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I wish I had new information in regards to a backup camera... So far we just need to wait it out.. Perhaps Lockpick will come out with the fix in the near future.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I'm still patiently waiting for March as I agreed that I'd wait until then. I already paid it off when I bought my car as it was priced with a "backup camera attached to MFT". Hope I won't have to but with the limited experience I've had with my dealer I'll probably end up bitching and moaning in order to get anywhere.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Hey Someone should ask immcrea or that guy metric who has the new MFT if we will be able to add a back up camera to our existing cars.

·
Registered
10 Posts
As long as you have everything in writing, you can hold their feet to the fire. Wonderful things can happen for you when they are faced with legal issues. Good luck

·
Registered
360 Posts
If it involves anything major (ABFORDGUY mentioned several different main harnesses available) I highly doubt people will pay thousands of dollars to install a factory backup camera after the fact. Some of these harnesses can run into the thousands, plus the other modules and equipment required, plus the install time, and the programming headaches involved since you'd have to "steal" another VIN and use the programming from that one to try and reprogram yours.

I saw a tech at my dealer (who is a genius at electrical) spend 14 hours on an F150 to integrate a factory backup camera. He was running extra wiring, programming various modules and in the end he was left with a backup camera that only worked intermittently. He spent 14 hours on it, and got paid for 3. I think they ended up pulling the whole thing out and went with the little 100 dollar aftermarket deal. After seeing that, I will never attempt anything similar. While it would be cool to solve the puzzle, I like receiving a paycheque too.

The reason why some of you are getting very little support with it, I really think dealers aren't willing to take a gamble, using your wallet, to see if it can be done. Ford probably isn't getting into it for liability reasons. Someone will find a way to sue them for it. Anytime I have to ask an engineer about technical matters and it involves any kind of modification they don't even go near it. If the vehicle has modifications already, they advise me to "return it to stock before proceeding" LOL. Its all liability.
Sorry, but your "genius" electrical buddy either never worked on new F150s before or he wasn't too swift. Adding OEM rear cameras to them is very easy, since all XLT trim levels and higher have the plug in the harness already and since they are non-MFT, you just need the camera, the rear view mirror with mini monitor and mirror wire harness with connector. All parts are available from Tasca Ford for around $350 and less than hour install time if you are even remotely handy with tools and cars. I've done it myself on a new F150 and it's been covered on F150forum.com
Now, having said all that, our new Focus with MFT is a completely different beast and you most likely need a completely new wire harness and modules as well, so it could be cost prohibitive. I think the Lockpick route will be the way to go.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Has anyone tried anything with this? I am hoping to add a backup camera to my 2013 ST when it comes in, since Ford decided it would only be standard on the Titanium for next year and not the ST. Boneheads.
Has anyone checked out Nav-TV?
http://www.navtv.com/product/207/myfordtouch-cam.html
This little kit looks promising, but it costs $500 for the interface and reprogramming module, then another $119 - 129 for the camera. I think you have to run the wires yourself, it doesn't appear to use existing wiring.

61 - 80 of 186 Posts