Focus Fanatics Forum banner

41 - 60 of 186 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
That's just another example of poor programming integration with the MFT. That and the SD card errors people w/o nav have been getting is completely mickey mouse and unacceptable.

As for the camera, if you don't get the OEM parts from Ford, I would recommend getting the best aftermarket camera you can get. The MFT is such a nice hi-res screen, I don't think it would look very good with a cheap lo-res camera. It's just a guess, though.
The factory installed camera isnt exactly the best looking either.

·
Registered
781 Posts
The factory installed camera isnt exactly the best looking either.
while the camera doesn't look too hot i find the picture from it very acceptable. certainly better than what I've seen on older vehicles. also find the colored distance lines and the curving path lines very useful.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I just found this video where some guy with a dirty finger shows a third-party backup camera on a 2012 Focus SE SFE and talks a little about the wiring. However he does not actually show its operation, so I don't know if he's hooked it into the center display (doesn't look like an MFT). There appears to be something on the left dash that could be the rear camera display.

I would consider the parking package if it didn't force me to get the leather, just for the rear-view camera. For that matter I'd get the premium package for the 6-way driver's seat if I could get it with cloth.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I just found this video where some guy with a dirty finger shows a third-party backup camera on a 2012 Focus SE SFE and talks a little about the wiring. However he does not actually show its operation, so I don't know if he's hooked it into the center display (doesn't look like an MFT). There appears to be something on the left dash that could be the rear camera display.

He did use a separate small display and mount it on the dash. Not something I would want to do. If I can get it in the MFT screen that is absolute best.

Bump on someone figuring this out!

·
Registered
267 Posts
Just looking at this in my FORD parts program, it appears you would have to change the main harness #14A630, of which there are several, I have no Idea which one you would have to order to add a camera, then you would also need to change the rear jumper harness #15k868 and add the camera, the module and by the looks of it front and rear parking sensors. This is a nightmare, no wonder FORD dealerships can't figure it out. Best solution. Find an aftermarket kit that utilizes the rearview mirror for camera or wait awhile and hope that FORD can/will offer it as an add on accessory

·
Registered
321 Posts
That video is from a guy on this forum. He has an aftermarket cam hooked up to that little screen on the left.

I was at my dealer last week & almost asked what they knew about adding the OEM cam but those old clowns barely know how to use my IA key so i said forget it

·
Registered
636 Posts
That guy is me and that "dirty finger" Is actually blood under my fingernail; I slammed my finger in the car door by accident about 2 months ago; not my proudest moment. I get alot of "wash your damn finger", or wow emo go kill yourself comments"[rofl] The way I see it $40 is a LOT less than $250, and I don't mind living with an extra screen. It's not like this thing is going to be a show-car; I use it to commute to and from school downtown where parking is hairy. True, I wish I could have afforded the parking package, but as a student I'm damned lucky to even have a car from the last 5 years let-alone a new one.
Oh and if you want to see it in action watch this video, it's towards the end.

·
Registered
160 Posts
That guy is me and that "dirty finger" Is actually blood under my fingernail; I slammed my finger in the car door by accident about 2 months ago; not my proudest moment. I get alot of "wash your damn finger", or wow emo go kill yourself comments"[rofl] The way I see it $40 is a LOT less than $250, and I don't mind living with an extra screen. It's not like this thing is going to be a show-car; I use it to commute to and from school downtown where parking is hairy. True, I wish I could have afforded the parking package, but as a student I'm damned lucky to even have a car from the last 5 years let-alone a new one.
Oh and if you want to see it in action watch this video, it's towards the end.
That bloody finger is a badge of honor! Just tell people that you wanted to see how it felt...

OK, $40.00 for the camera system...
A little more information would be great on this mod.
Where did you buy the system?
How did you mount the camera?
Is it wireless?

This is one thing I really want to do.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Main Harness Replacement woes

Just looking at this in my FORD parts program, it appears you would have to change the main harness #14A630, of which there are several, I have no Idea which one you would have to order to add a camera, then you would also need to change the rear jumper harness #15k868 and add the camera, the module and by the looks of it front and rear parking sensors. This is a nightmare, no wonder FORD dealerships can't figure it out. Best solution. Find an aftermarket kit that utilizes the rearview mirror for camera or wait awhile and hope that FORD can/will offer it as an add on accessory
I had to replace the main harness on my wife's pickup after rats ate the original - cost the insurance company $7K.[?|]

·
Registered
468 Posts
Hey guys.. I just got a 2012 SEL with MFT without the backup camera. Now I think I want it [8D]

I was able to locate the camera, module and hardware on fordparts.com. My question is, how difficult would it be to install myself? Is it possible that it my car is already pre-wired (as in plug and play)? I noticed on some F150 and mustang forums that some are saying it is prewired if there is MFT or nav installed already. I know that a flash will be needed but Im a little unsure of the installation itself.

Any help would be appreciated and TIA!
I've got a question in to Lock Picks - they list one they say is compatible with all Ford HD products - here is an install video, done in less than 2 minutes. They also sell a back up camera. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3BAKgFMud4

·
Registered
198 Posts
Hey guys.. I just got a 2012 SEL with MFT without the backup camera. Now I think I want it [8D]

I was able to locate the camera, module and hardware on fordparts.com. My question is, how difficult would it be to install myself? Is it possible that it my car is already pre-wired (as in plug and play)? I noticed on some F150 and mustang forums that some are saying it is prewired if there is MFT or nav installed already. I know that a flash will be needed but Im a little unsure of the installation itself.

Any help would be appreciated and TIA!
I have added camera's to the Camry Hybrid for 2007-2009 even when the car never came with it. I needed to add 5 wires to the harness which were positive in reverse signal and positive and negative for the camera video along with positive power and negative for the camera.

It was time consuming, and the worse thing was adding the itsy bitsy little pins to the harness otherwise everything else was really easy.

I also belonged to the f150 forum, where with the right harness you were able to add the camera by simply adding the correct connector.

In both cases there was no flashing of ROM or anything else to get it to work.

I would be checking ebay for a salvage company that is selling parts off of a Titanium with a working camera.

Although the camera is good on the Titanium and I love both the guidance lines and direction lines, the camera on the e-350 is excellent and almost HD quality.

I would stay away from the cheap ebay reverse camera's that replace one of the two license plate lights as I bought two of them and the quality in my opinion is sub standard on a 3.5" display so it will be terrible on a 8" display.

·
Registered
468 Posts
It will be possible once LockPick updates their products, but I can't see this working without one.
Right you are - as of today, however, no Lock Pick for the '12 Focus. You should check out Coastal e-Tech's cameras too - they say they're better than Fords and way cheap too! They work with Lock Pick - when/if we get it for our cars.[confused]

·
Registered
94 Posts
When I got my car 4 days ago, I rescinded the Parking Package (sensors + rear view cam) just because I could get the car "NOW". The dealership told me that in lieu of the Parking Package, they will install a rear view cam with MFT. Now (12/14/2011) they just told me that it will be delayed a bit as they have to get the procedure on how to install one with MFT as they've apparently never done it before. When I asked if they're sure it can be done, they said yes but it will take 1-2 months because they have to work out the details. Bah. -.-

·
Registered
125 Posts
When I got my car 4 days ago, I rescinded the Parking Package (sensors + rear view cam) just because I could get the car "NOW". The dealership told me that in lieu of the Parking Package, they will install a rear view cam with MFT. Now (12/14/2011) they just told me that it will be delayed a bit as they have to get the procedure on how to install one with MFT as they've apparently never done it before. When I asked if they're sure it can be done, they said yes but it will take 1-2 months because they have to work out the details. Bah. -.-
Keep us posted, that's what i want!

·
Registered
468 Posts
Wow! Now that's a shocker! [ohcrap] If they can do it at all, two months or three, that's better than anyone else has done on this subject. I'm sure that all of us will be waiting with abated breath for the outcome of this one, especially if it's favorable. Keep us posted, for sure!!!!! [:)~]

·
Registered
94 Posts
Yup, will keep you guys posted. I'll go pick-up my car today or tomorrow (had it undercoated) and I'll discuss it again with the ford service guys.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I just ran across this retailer who currently has a vehicle in motion device for the MFT equipped cars. This permits playing video while the car is in drive. They also say they will soon be coming out with a module to permit installation of a backup camera that will play onto the MFT screen. Price is not cheap for the VIM system, almost $500.

http://www.crazystereo.com/navtv-myfordtouchvim-ntvkit289-p-4028.html

Here's what they say:

The MYFORD-TOUCH-VIM is the world’s only video in motion solution for new Ford, Lincoln and Mercury vehicles equipped with the MYFORD TOUCH radio. In addition to video in motion, the unit can also force a factory reverse camera on while the vehicle is in motion. In the near future we will be supporting the ability to add an aftermarket rear view camera to vehicles that were not equipped with one from the factory.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I Was at the Dealer getting info for our soon to be Titanium and he said the Rear camera was available on the "Titanium Premium Package".
I asked if he was sure and he said yes.

Now I understand that this package has a "Reverse sensing system" but I'm a little confused because I thought the camera was only on the "Parking Technology Package"

Anyone can confirm which is it? [???:)]

FTR, they didn't much about the car [screwy]

41 - 60 of 186 Posts