Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I recently purchased a new center console off of a pick/pull yard. I was tired of having one with an armrest, so i found one without it, It will need some cleaning up though. Anyway.

Like most cars have now, I would like to add a 12v line to the back of my center console. Now when I do this, can I just get a splice clamp, where it connect 2 together, and attach to the factory cig lighter? Or would I need to run an add a fuse to that same fuse in the fuse box? But I don't think I would need to have it one when the car is off, thought it would be nice.

So the question is, can I attach to the factory cigarette lighter 12v line or will I have to run it all the way to the fuse box and if I do that then I would need to purchase a larger amp as well?

Next is puddle lights for my car. I have everything purchased and at the house but as far as wiring I'm not sure on how to do it. Its again with the wiring. I want to attach to the dome light so when I unlock or open my door the lights will come on, etc. Can I tap into the dome light without causing it to do or overload the circuit? I know LED's don't draw much power, but just want to be sure before I do it. For the passenger side would I just run it across the floor to that side or???

Much thanks.

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
When I say I want to run the puddle lights to the dome light, I want to go up through the A pillar and splice in there. Doable?

·
Registered
99 Posts
donno if this helps!
lighter wise. i beleave mine is always live. charger works without car on. and im sure one could make a jumper and tie in a 2nd charging port. if these work without adding problems im sure adding only 1 would be no problem.
http://www.amazon.com/EZOPower-Cigarette-Splitter-Smartphone-Blackberry/dp/B008FDGXXW

i have thought about adding a 2nd cig port. but i am adding usb ports all over instead.

google led door handles zx3(im not the first to do it but i followed the google link and he hooked to the a pillar wiring)
but All my leds are hooked to the Dome light so they all come on with the dome light. i have one in each handle (inside and out) and 8 in my center console. i want to add flood lights in the side skirts. (i have the leds and havent decided if mirror mount(lexus/bmw...) or under door or in side skirt)

·
Registered
577 Posts
In regards to the puddle light mod, you should have no problem splicing into the dome light running up the A-Pillar. I did it and it works great! But, be aware that you will have to run both power AND ground wires. The dome light and courtesy lights use a constant 12V source. The ground is what completes the curcuit. There is a little splitter in the A-Pillar that has all the wires you're looking for. You can't miss it. Just do some testing with a test light with the door open and closed. I believe their are 2 ground wires and 1 power wire iirc. Go ahead and cut a little slit out of your power wire, and hook your clamp to one of the ground terminals. Your test light will light up just as the dome light would when you find the right ground.

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In regards to the puddle light mod, you should have no problem splicing into the dome light running up the A-Pillar. I did it and it works great! But, be aware that you will have to run both power AND ground wires. The dome light and courtesy lights use a constant 12V source. The ground is what completes the curcuit. There is a little splitter in the A-Pillar that has all the wires you're looking for. You can't miss it. Just do some testing with a test light with the door open and closed. I believe their are 2 ground wires and 1 power wire iirc. Go ahead and cut a little slit out of your power wire, and hook your clamp to one of the ground terminals. Your test light will light up just as the dome light would when you find the right ground.

Thanks. I appreciate the thought on this. I did have the plan to run the wire up the A pillar and splice in there. Would you recommend doing that rather than adding a 10a add-a-fuse?

The big glaring problem is that I can't find a way to get the wiring from the door to the car itself and then inside. The grommet that connects the wire in the door to the car is fitted together by a plug type thing that is solid.

My only option would be to drill 2 small holes in each side for the wire to go through. But that brings the question of when I open and close the door will that wore break over time like it does on the trunk for the hatches.

Another way would be to add a wire into the connector from the junkyard, or I could get a braided wire that could take the bending a little more.

Where I am going the door would be water tight but I would silicone it in anyway and stick it through a fuel line or zip tie to the grommet that is there.

Opening and closing the door seems to be the biggest problem with this idea. I have taken the A pillar off and have seen what I need to do. I'm just wary about the drilling that I naught have to do. I want to keep it looking as clean as I can.

·
Registered
202 Posts
donno if this helps!
lighter wise. i beleave mine is always live. charger works without car on. and im sure one could make a jumper and tie in a 2nd charging port. if these work without adding problems im sure adding only 1 would be no problem.
http://www.amazon.com/EZOPower-Cigarette-Splitter-Smartphone-Blackberry/dp/B008FDGXXW

i have thought about adding a 2nd cig port. but i am adding usb ports all over instead.

google led door handles zx3(im not the first to do it but i followed the google link and he hooked to the a pillar wiring)
but All my leds are hooked to the Dome light so they all come on with the dome light. i have one in each handle (inside and out) and 8 in my center console. i want to add flood lights in the side skirts. (i have the leds and havent decided if mirror mount(lexus/bmw...) or under door or in side skirt)
same plan here, adding a cig plug chances are it is just going to be used for a phone charger anyways. just skip the middle man.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-Power-C...Phone_PDA_Cables_Adapters&hash=item25963aea34

or

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-12V-to-5...69?pt=US_Power_Inverters_&hash=item56666fed0d

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Honestly I would go for the cig lighter one over the USB dual.

It won't limit you to what you can put in it, gps, phone charge, power converter with plug. Plus 2 years down the road you may not even need a USB to charge something.

Just my .02. Cig lighter is more functional.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Honestly I would go for the cig lighter one over the USB dual.

It won't limit you to what you can put in it, gps, phone charge, power converter with plug. Plus 2 years down the road you may not even need a USB to charge something.

Just my .02. Cig lighter is more functional.
to each his own.

GPS= hard wired
dash cam=hardwired
phone= all cig plugs are stepping the 12v down to a 5v mini usb

20 years of driving I've never required a power converter. never needed a device that would pull the small amount of wattage those can produce.

Auto manufactures are even seeing the light, the physical cig lighter is gone, now you have a 12v power source and a few usb chargers. in the next 2-3, 20 years if I need an extra cig lighter I'll borrow your car. [grinking]

*it's way past my bed time, I'm running on 3-4 hours sleep [8]

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Reread last night, I misunderstood. I was thinking they were like iPhone chargers, that kind.

USB adaptors would be really functional. I may look Into those instead of a new cig lighter. They probably don't get near as hot either. And more functional as I don't smoke, and don't plan on it.

Haha my car probably won't be around in 20 years. If it was it will have the most miles for an SPI engine.

·
Registered
10 Posts
How many amps can the cig lighter circuit handle? I was thinking of installing 1 or 2 of those dual port USB chargers in the dash, above and below the cig lighter, tapping into the lighter wires.
These are the ones with 1A and 2.1A output. I'd like the extra amperage for tablets that require them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts