Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 03 ZX3 has the factory MP3 HU. Ive got a sony 444 xplode 4 channel amp with high level inputs. I bought both harness connectors so that I can wire the amp without cutting the factory harness.

Q 1: Can I take the speaker outputs from the HU and run them into the high level inputs on the amp without a line level converter?

I want to add a second amp to power a 12" sub or 2 8" or 10" subs. The factory harness from the HU has 4 pinouts for the factory sub/amp. They are sub +, sub -, sub shield, sub amp enable.

Q 2: What is the sub shield wire for? Can I tap into the other three wires to run my sub?

Q 3: If I use the sub + and - wires to signal the amp is there any way to control the sub volume?

The other option which I think may be easier is to run both front speakers off the left front signal. Both rear speakers off the right front signal. each sub off a rear signal. That way I can use the fader to control sub volume and balance to control front/rear speakers. In this configureation I lose left/right balance, but I never use it anyway.

Im going to build an amp rack in the hatch on the left, and a sub enclosure on the right.

Q 4: What size subs and how much power?

I dont want any battery/alt problems due to the stereo.

Any other suggestions?

Last Q: Anyone recommend a book on building sub enclosures, wireing amps, power requirements, ect?

·
Focus Enthusiast
2,208 Posts
Nice job asking, very clear and precise, i'm not familiar with the stock mp3 system on these cars so i can't help you there but about the subs and how much power, it depends on what your looking for, just something to fill in the lowe end that is missing, something with a little "kick" and can feel it or something just plain loud? You shouldn't have any problems with your battery or alt or dimming healights, etc if your under 1,000 watts of power, which is plenty. No offense, that sony amp probably only is getting about 75 watts x 4 @ 4 ohm or about 200 x 2 @ 4 ohm, so you could get a good amount of power for a sub if you wanted. If you have dimming problems you can upgrade your ground wire form the battery and battry + to alternator wire and it would probably take care of it. Other than the questions aobut the stock mp3 system, you might want to try caraudiofroum.com , they'll be able to answer any and every question you have with many more opinions and fast, just post in the gereral section of caraudioforum. Good luck.

- Scott

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The xplodes rated output is 35x4, 80x4 max. Plenty for the stock speakers. I havent decided if Im going to build a wood or glass sub enclosure, depends on how much time I have at xmas. Im spending the holiday at home and will have a nice heated shop to work in. I need to gather the necessary componets now.

On another note, Im pretty handy fab-ing stuff. This past week I was installing a windshield in a 97 Taurus. It had factory tweeters in the mirror covers (the part that our power mirror switch is in) I got to thinking that I could cut out the tweeter mount and mold it into our mirror cover. The mirror switch may need to be moved into the door panel, but it looks doable. I have manual mirrors but I think it would work on those also.

Im heading to the salvage yard next weekend to look around, I will try and get those tweeter mounts if I can find them.

My goal on the stock stereo upgrade is more volume. With my exhaust, road noise, and other distractions I have to crank the volume so high it distorts. Im not looking for any thump thump, just more power.

As always Im on a budget, mortgage, kids, retirement savings, helping support my mom, not alot left to play with.

·
Focus Enthusiast
2,208 Posts
For blocking out raod and engine noises you could get sound dampening/deadener that would help alot, it also gives you better low frequency response, by the way, sounds like your a pretty good installer, you should get into fiberglassing, sounds like you'd be good at it, you can do so much with that stuff, good luck.

- Scott

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I am using the factory sub out in the factory MP3 stereo.
As for
Q1, Yes, high level inputs come directly from the speaker outs on the head unit. No adaptors needed.

Q2, The sub + and - are the signal. The sub shield is to keep noise out of the line. In a long run of low level signal, it is susceptible to noise getting in. I used 2 conductor shielded microphone cable I picked up at an electronics store. Radio shack may carry it also.

Q3, The sub output is linked to the volume control. You would need to use the gain control on the amp to balance the sound. Some amps have a remote volume control for this.

Q4, You're on your own with this. My amp is an old 60wrms sub amp with not much drain on the car.

As for your idea on the left/right front/back wiring change, please don't. Stereo sound is meant to be heard from left and right, not front to back. You will lose all of the stereo imaging the recording engineers put on there for your enjoyment. You should use your current amp for the 4 speakers and get a mono sub amp for the sub. Or buy a stereo amp and bridge it. Many options in this area.

Try this link, it has some great info.
Good luck.

http://www.maximacar.com/tech.htm

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
DidHe,

Thanks, I got to thinking about the R/L stereo sound after I went to bed. I could still do the same thing except I would need to tie the LF with the LR, RF/RR.

I would rather use the supplied sub output. I think the sub outputs run from the HU down into a connector behind the driver kick panel. I havent traced it out yet. Where did you tie into the outputs? Is the sub output low level or do I need a line out converter for it?

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
The sub out is low level and has the the upper frequencies filtered out already.
I just cut the sub wires since I couldn't find that kind of connector. I didn't care about cutting since I would never get the factory sub anyway.

BTW where did you get the pinouts for the head unit? I got a diagram emailed to me from Blaupunkt tech support. I posted it here:
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3037
a while back.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts