Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought id share my experience.

I just installed an alarm with aftermarket door actuators to the front doors of a 2001 Focus Sedan that wasnt equipt with power locks. Actuators can be attached to most door lock rods but on the Focus the door handle and door locks share a cable driven door lock system. For those that know what im talking about I will explain how I did this.

I drilled a pilot hole into the lock switch itself so that I could hook the rod inside of it. (I bent the tip to a 90 angle). I also had to cut out a portion of the back side of this area so that the rod could travel through. The top portion of the door panel has some foam stuck inside which can be removed with ease. Behind that is where I attached the actuators to the metal of the door. In order for these lock motors to work perfect, they need to be free from an contact which creates friction on the rods.

It took me awile to figure this out but once I brainstormed everything this was the best solution. Took me several hours but I will be prepared for the next one. I dont have pics, but the next set I do, I will be sure to shoot some shots. If your interested in doing this or have any questions, feel free to reply here and I will go into detail. Some alarm and installation experience is required. This info is aimed at those interested in doing it themselves or for those that are interested in just reading about it.

The alarm install wasnt to hard. I can get the wire information.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Do you have a picture by any chance? I don't know how this is to work with the door handle being on the same cable. I can't seem to think outside the box here.

Thanx in advance ... Dave

·
Registered
66 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just an update for ford focus users looking into installing power door locks.

a1electric.com now has Door lock actuators designed for cars with cable locks.

I just ordered a set, I will document the installation (with pictures and post it on this website once completed). [:D]

Here is the link

http://www.a1electric.com/mes.htm

·
Registered
31 Posts
That trick is the easy way to you can add door locks on a focus but i would also reccomend that you use a pressure washer or notch the end of the rod to accept a lock pin.It works well and ive had no problems but make sure that you strap down the acutator because over time the moving in and out of the unit can cause it to come off line and rub and go bad

·
Registered
67 Posts
kremer_focus said:
Just an update for ford focus users looking into installing power door locks.

a1electric.com now has Door lock actuators designed for cars with cable locks.

I just ordered a set, I will document the installation (with pictures and post it on this website once completed). [:D]

Here is the link

http://www.a1electric.com/mes.htm
I ordered this kit and am well in to putting it in. The door motors mount easy then its just a matter of locating the wires and connecting them. Overall installation was not that bad. Definitely worth ordering.

·
Registered
48 Posts
how did you wire up the acuators? did you have to run your own wire or was there some sort of wire inside the door that can be used....you know....like mass production...the wires are there, but not being used.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I put acuators on my 01 LX sedan. I just attached the rod to the cable.

Tim

·
Registered
67 Posts
kathemius said:
how did you wire up the acuators? did you have to run your own wire or was there some sort of wire inside the door that can be used....you know....like mass production...the wires are there, but not being used.
It came with all the wires. It was easy i just ran them through the door jam.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts