Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

First off let me say HI, as I have lurked for a while, reading every now and again. Great forum, and I'm glad to know you all are here. I've lurked because I have an '09 Focus that really is all I could ask for in a car. Love the thing.

I also have a son. A son who begged and begged that I come up (lives with mom in another state) and cosign for him to get a car. He wanted cool, I insisted on reliable. We walked away with a 2007 Focus sedan with 80K on it. Good call kid.

Well, he has this thing about not slowing down, and the police seem to have this thing about giving him tickets. Then his tickets got pricey and he decided that he couldn't pay his insurance because the tickets had to be paid. He kept getting tickets though, and now they were coming with "No Insurance" tickets. Then the suspended license came, and his job decided to let him go, and guess what: Dad (me) got a new to me Focus....and another payment. Dangit. However, I cosigned, so I drive, and I insure. He's in WA, I'm in CA.

Well now the '07 is in CA now, and the car doesn't have AC. I'm old, I'm dumb enough to cosign, but I'm not that keen on driving around in 90+ degree heat. That sort of thing will melt my brain, and then who knows what I'll end up cosigning for...

As far as I can tell, this is a base model Focus. Let's just say we have window cranks. I haven't had those since my VW Beetle days - and I don't mean the new beetle.

So, is it possible, or is it feasible, to add AC to the car? Is this something I should be able to do for under a grand? Under $500? Thoughts, suggestions, comments are all welcome.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Sorry to say, this question HAS come up B4, with similar cars, and it's unfortunately MUCH cheaper to sell it & buy one with A/C than try to find a junkyard donor & replace EVERYTHING needed for A/C....

ENTIRE dash comes apart to put a different HVAC unit in, PLUS Compressor, Hoses, evaporator (that thing in front of the radiator), dryer, etc. etc.....

IF you have a week to spare, parts are free, and you are a GOOD mechanic it CAN be done, but it's NOT economically viable.....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts