Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everyone,

i just got a new 2003 ZX3 with the 2.3L engine, with the basic options, meaning there is nothing powered in this car except the stearing! i want to add a system to it and i was thinking about putting a rockford 400.4 amp for my mains (50 watts rms per channel) and a 500.2 (500 watts at 4 ohms bridged) for a 10 inch JL 10W3V2. i wanted to get some feed back on how you think the stock alternater and battery will handle this power load. i also am going to add a 1 fared cap to help out. [:)]

·
Focus Enthusiast
2,208 Posts
First, i'd suggest not getting a cap, it won't create less stress on the alt and battery, it's still pulling the same amount of current with or without a cap. If you have any problems such as dimming healights, just add 4 gauge wire going from the negative post of the battery to the chassis, positive post to the alt and the engine block to the chassis. It helps alot, my instrument panel used to dim alot and now it rarely does. Second, i'm not a fan of newr RF amps, they tend to be very hot and i don't like the style as much. For the money you can get a bettter more efficent (gets the most output for the current it pulls). Some amps that i think are a great deal are avionixx, although they can be somewhat on the large size, but look pretty good. You can look at them at avionixxusa.com . The only thing is that they arne't sold in stores, tehre's a manufacture direct store, but you still get a warranty. I haven't heard of many problems with these amps though, especialy compared to RF. It's all personal preference though, you may want the rockford amps because of the style, "name brand", etc etc. Just giving you my opinon. Good choice on the sub, JL makes some great products, I think you'd enjoy that specific subwoofer, and 500 watts is plenty of power for it. For the speaker amp i'm wondering if your getting new speakers or using the same ones. If your getting new speakers i'd suggest not getting that cap and putting a little money into some nice componets. A good deal for some amazing componets are at thezeb.com , the CDT cl-61a classics are unbelievable for $150. You don't even really need rear fill unless you care about what your passengers in the back think. Rear fill only creates imaging problems for the front passengers. Also, are you sticking with the stock headunit? If you aren't going to get a new HU and care about SQ a trunk mounted EQ could help out alot. If you get a HU with a built in eq it would probably do a good enough job. Good luck with everything.

- Scott

·
Registered
838 Posts
Here is a tip, the amp doesn't supply sound quality, keep that in mind. I have never bought a "name brand" amp and I always had a kick ass system. What I always do is take off the cover showing the insides and maybe run some neon through it or something. With the power load of your car you should be fine. Trail and error is the best way to answer your question. Like he said check diming lights and how well your car starts. With newer cars you don't have to worry but older cars if to much power is going to your amp it will make the starter work to hard and boom. Also the bigger the wire the better no matter how much power the amp has. Hope this helps a little.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts