Focus Fanatics Forum banner

101 - 119 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Without toms tune you can still shift yourself but it will automatically upshift at a certain point, same with downshiftin

·
Registered
22 Posts
No you can’t use a heated steering wheel for heated purposes without the built in button on the car. The leather is a nice option though that you’ll enjoy. Since you have sport mode enabled already, you just need to install the wheel and the paddles will work. I think you need toms tune if you want the car to not shift at all without your input.
I don't have any buttons for heated steering that I am aware of, so will that affect the wiring match up in any way? Or is it still plug-n-play, and I just won't be able to use the heated part? I am OK with not having a heated wheel. I live in Ohio, migrated from New York, and the winters here are mild compared to what I grew up with. Also, I have seen posts where people say the 6th gear is usable in SST mode, you just have to shift it there yourself cause the auto-shift won't do it. Any truth to this??

In regards to Tom's Tune... Yeah... that won't be happening probably. I know the tune can be $$$$. At 50 yr old, married, and 2 kids under 12, I can't blow cash like I used to do back when I was single. Just looking to do easy, cheap, but fun mods with this car. Besides, I am more of motorcycle guy than car guy, and I plan on getting back into my bike hobby once my kids are old enough to go hang at a friends house for the day, so I can go ride with the wife. I really miss my bike, but these days my time is taken up by family commitments.

gixxer4.jpg

·
Registered
22 Posts
So... my steering wheel with paddle shifters arrived and I swapped it out with the stock steering wheel. It went smooth as could be expected. I was able to manually shift the gears, all the way to 6th, using the paddle shifters. I did notice that there seems to be a little lag when shifting from 3rd to 4th, 4th to 5th, and so on. I am wondering if this is normal, or if it is because I was still applying the gas peddle and it somehow affects the shift speed. I am wondering if I should treat it more like a true manual shift and let off the gas as I shift the gears, then re-apply the gas after the shift change. Is there any settings that I can change that might help the shift time when using the paddles? Something other than a Tom's tune?

Also, as I was scrolling through the FORScan configs, I noticed that I have a GPSM listed, but, I have Sync 1.1 version. So, if I have a GPSM, can I enable it and use navigation on a Sync 1.1 version?? I only have the 3.5 inch screen, non-touch, so not sure how to enter addresses if I could enable the GPSM. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Im running stock right now and using paddle shifters because i need to pass my inspection lol. I don’t have any lag problems. I also don’t floor the gas pedal down with shifting. Ive never driven a true manual so cant say much about it. Just try different things, eventually you and the car will figure it out. I shift at 3000RPM or more majority of the time and the shifts feel crispy.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Im running stock right now and using paddle shifters because i need to pass my inspection lol. I don’t have any lag problems. I also don’t floor the gas pedal down with shifting. Ive never driven a true manual so cant say much about it. Just try different things, eventually you and the car will figure it out. I shift at 3000RPM or more majority of the time and the shifts feel crispy.
So I tried easing off the gas while upshifting and downshifting, same as I would with a true manual, and that seems to have helped with the lag. The lag I was experiencing was as follows: 1-3, all good, but 3-6 I would hit the + at 4k RPM and it would go to about 4.3k RPM before actually changing the gear. This is while my foot was still lightly pressed on the gas peddle. Once I started lifting my foot off the gas as I shifted at 4k, it would then go to about 4.1k before actual shift happened. So this is much better response time.

·
Registered
22 Posts
My next project is to add another ground wire from either the battery ground directly, or from the existing ground mount on the firewall, and then run it to the engine. Anyone have any thoughts on this??

·
Registered
33 Posts
Do you mean lag meaning how long it takes the car to shift with the paddle? Or like the readiness of the car to move in its gear?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Do you mean lag meaning how long it takes the car to shift with the paddle? Or like the readiness of the car to move in its gear?
How long it takes to go from one gear to the next when using the paddles. When driving in S, no paddle use, I can feel the gear changes happen around 3500-4000 RPM, and they happen fast. When using the paddles, the change takes 1-2 seconds longer than not using paddles. So if I am in 3rd gear at 4000 RPM, and hit the paddle to go 4th gear, the actual gear change doesn't happen until about 4100-4300 RPM while a maintain lite pressure on the gas pedal.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #110
Remember, it is still a computer controlled manual transmission. When you give the computer an input, it will process it and do the shift when it thinks is best based upon the combination of every other input. Mine lagged a little too. I'm glad folks still find this useful. My kid totaled my Focus last year and I bought an Escape. That was one way to solve the transmission issue!!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yeah i have same issue. I just got used to it. I shift at 2800 RPM to hit 3000 RPM
I found that taking my foot off the gas just as I push the paddle seems to allow the shift to take place more quickly. So I am driving it the same as I would a true manual, just minus the left foot clutching...

·
Registered
5 Posts
I was browsing for a leather steering wheel with padel shifter but I could not find any. Where did you guys find yours?

·
Registered
24 Posts
FORSCAN change to enable Sport Mode:

I did it on my 2016 SE Hatch. Connect via Forscan, select BdyCM (Central Configuration) under "Configuration and Programming". When you run that, your car will make all sorts of noises and flashes. Warnings will show up on your dash. Normal. Don't interrupt it. Follow the on-screen prompts. Once it runs, save your as built to your computer in case you screw it up. Change to "Engineering Mode" using the menu items available. Then go to the last item on the list (Shifter type), and change it to (select shift tech (SST) with thumb switch on gearshift. Hit save (or load).

Again, car will flash and make lots of noises. Don't panic. Let it finish. Then reset all the DTC's it creates. It will create a bunch. Done. You may need to cycle your ignition a couple of times to get it to work.

When you shift into sport mode, it is still an automatic, but with different shift points. It will also lock out sixth. When you add the paddle shifters, it does the same. If you hit a paddle, the shifters become active. It won't shift up until you do it. You can shift down when you want, but if you forget, it will do it automatically so you don't stall it. To go back to normal, shift to "D". If you want "automatic Sport Mode", just shift it back to "S" and don't touch the paddles.
For whatever reason, my FORScan program lacks the ability to change anything. Reads fine, just cant change anything

·
Registered
13 Posts
2 questions:
-If I bought an escape wheel with a damaged airbag, can I use the airbag and cover from my focus se to replace it?
-does anyone know the exact model number for the escape wheel to use?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Gave this topic a new title/thread so others might see it. I have a plain jane 2016 SE. The DTC transmission shifter only had PRNDL - with "L" being low. Using an OBDLink MX and FORSCAN (you can also use FOCCCUS), I added Sport mode (PRNDS).

Now my shifter only has the button to enable hill descent control (made useless by adding sport mode).

So, when surfing around, I saw Merillin's post on swapping steering wheels.
2016 SE DCT Paddle Shift Steering Wheel Swap

Just like his SE, my column wiring harness had all the wiring. So, I bought a 2017 Escape steering wheel with the paddle shifters and swapped it. VOILA! I have functioning paddle shifters.

Merillin had an issue releasing the airbag. If you use a pick instead of a screwdriver, it comes off like a breeze. It fits directly onto the new wheel. I swapped the wheel including reconnecting the airbag in under 10 minutes. The only tools you need are a pick and a 24mm socket with a ratchet and an extender.

Now I have a leather steering wheel, sport mode and paddle shifters. Wahoo! Thanks Merillin!
Would it work with a 18 SE that is tuned?

·
Registered
22 Posts
For whatever reason, my FORScan program lacks the ability to change anything. Reads fine, just cant change anything
Making changes requires the FORScan license. It's $20 US dollars. Had same issue till got license. There is a full function free license, but, it is only good for like 2 months.

101 - 119 of 119 Posts