Focus Fanatics Forum banner

61 - 80 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
My understanding is the LandD refers to the options on your automatic shifter. L would be Low and D would be drive. Some come optioned with PRNDS (S=Sport) and others PRNDL. The Low option will keep the transmission in the low gears. Other cars may have PRND21.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hey everybody, so I did everything regarding forscan to get sport mode enabled. However at least on my 2016 Ford Focus SE, it gave me to option. One was sport mode with select thumb shift and then the other was “sports mode SST thumb w/LandD.
I am wondering what LandD means and whether I should enable that one. I enabled the regular sport mode for now. Hope someone can get back to me!
Just finished mine a couple of week ago. I saw the same thing. I just went with the one the normal sport mode and it works perfectly with the paddle shifters. Sorry that I couldn't really answer your question.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just finished mine a couple of week ago. I saw the same thing. I just went with the one the normal sport mode and it works perfectly with the paddle shifters. Sorry that I couldn't really answer your question.
thank you both for the clarification. One other question, is it normal that when in sport mode, and going downhill that the engine revs up high and it acts kind of odd? I’ve never driven sport mode and my last car was a 2005 Ford Focus lol

·
Registered
166 Posts
I have a manual transmission so my reference point is from other cars I have driven. Engine revving high is likely due to the automatic transmission downshifting; same as you would if driving a manual transmission to engine brake rather than holding the brakes to keep a consistent speed.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Okay g
I have a manual transmission so my reference point is from other cars I have driven. Engine revving high is likely due to the automatic transmission downshifting; same as you would if driving a manual transmission to engine brake rather than holding the brakes to keep a consistent speed.
Okay great!
One last thing, so I am planning on grabbing the steering wheel with paddle shifters, however I have a heated steering wheel in my focus. I know that the paddle shifter wheel from the Ford Escape is also leather, does anyone know if it still works as a heated wheel when installed and if there is any extra wiring involved?

·
Registered
166 Posts
The donor vehicle your are removing the steering wheel from would need to be optioned with a heated steering wheel. Look for a donor with the Titanium trim package and/or confirm that it has the switch for the heated steering wheel option. I wasn't able to confirm it was an option on lessor models but did confirm it was part of the Titanium trim for the 2017 model.

·
Registered
18 Posts
thank you both for the clarification. One other question, is it normal that when in sport mode, and going downhill that the engine revs up high and it acts kind of odd? I’ve never driven sport mode and my last car was a 2005 Ford Focus lol
That was the first thing I noticed when I test drove my car in Sport mode. I went down a mild decline and my engine immediately went up to 3K RPM and held steady. If I'm not mistaken, it is keeping you in the "power" range for your engine for quicker response when reapplying throttle, etc.

When you are going down a hill in normal mode, it will upshift to save fuel, which means it will have to downshift if you give it heavy gas, etc. to regain that low end power to provide a quicker acceleration.

When in Sport mode, it is keeping it in the high RPM range so when you apply any throttle, the response will be much quicker.

Whether it works the best or not, I believe that is what it's trying to do.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey All!!

Joined this group after purchasing a 2017 Ford Focus SE and doing some research on DTC and how they work. Found this Select Shift mod by accident, but love the idea of it, so I got myself an ODB2 connector that just arrived as I am posting this. Can't wait for the weekend to come so I can try it out. Any advice, other than what is already posted above?? This will be my first foray into doing such a thing. I work in IT, so installing the PC side (FORscan) of it isn't that big a deal, just want to make sure I do the BdyCM portion correctly. I won't be doing the paddle shift steering just yet. Going to do just the Sport mode and let the AI shifter do its thing to see how it does. Maybe down the road look to get the paddle shift wheel...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hey All!!

Joined this group after purchasing a 2017 Ford Focus SE and doing some research on DTC and how they work. Found this Select Shift mod by accident, but love the idea of it, so I got myself an ODB2 connector that just arrived as I am posting this. Can't wait for the weekend to come so I can try it out. Any advice, other than what is already posted above?? This will be my first foray into doing such a thing. I work in IT, so installing the PC side (FORscan) of it isn't that big a deal, just want to make sure I do the BdyCM portion correctly. I won't be doing the paddle shift steering just yet. Going to do just the Sport mode and let the AI shifter do its thing to see how it does. Maybe down the road look to get the paddle shift wheel...
I just did this about a month ago. Go to this link and download the archive. How to program Central Configuration using FORScan - FORScan forum - you have to use a secondary boot loader and mine wouldn’t work without these archives files (2016 focus se). Also there’s a drop down menu on the top within bdycommand...click engineering mode or else you won’t see the select shift sport. Sometimes the secondary boot loader will fail, you just have to try it again.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
Hey everybody, so I did everything regarding forscan to get sport mode enabled. However at least on my 2016 Ford Focus SE, it gave me to option. One was sport mode with select thumb shift and then the other was “sports mode SST thumb w/LandD.
I am wondering what LandD means and whether I should enable that one. I enabled the regular sport mode for now. Hope someone can get back to me!
You picked the right one. If you swap out the wheel with one with paddle shifters, they'll work. The hill descent button on your shifter will no longer work (but it was useless anyway).

·
Registered
18 Posts
You picked the right one. If you swap out the wheel with one with paddle shifters, they'll work. The hill descent button on your shifter will no longer work (but it was useless anyway).
maybe thia is unanswerable..does any leather steering wheel work as a heated steering wheel? It’s hard to find a heated paddle shifting leather steering wheel on eBay lol. There were a couple ofvinyls

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just did this about a month ago. Go to this link and download the archive. How to program Central Configuration using FORScan - FORScan forum - you have to use a secondary boot loader and mine wouldn’t work without these archives files (2016 focus se). Also there’s a drop down menu on the top within bdycommand...click engineering mode or else you won’t see the select shift sport. Sometimes the secondary boot loader will fail, you just have to try it again.
A couple of questions. 1.) where do the archive files go now that I have them downloaded? 2.) what is your opinion of the way it drives with Sport mode enabled versus regular Drive mode? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
18 Posts
A couple of questions. 1.) where do the archive files go now that I have them downloaded? 2.) what is your opinion of the way it drives with Sport mode enabled versus regular Drive mode? Thanks in advance.
it says in the link. I think forscan creates a folder in documents and you just copy them into the folder it made.

sport mode drives with much higher RPM shifts. Primarily I use it for tworeasons. 1. When I’m driving under 15 mph, instead of the car jerking and being weird when I try to let go of the gas when people randomly brake, it just slowly engine brakes, and the RPMs slowly go down. MUCH smoother ride in trafficy areas.2. Over taking people and merging onto the highway. Since it keeps you in the higherRPM range, the car is ready to get going and feels much faster than when in drive.

I’m exciting to see how a pair of paddle shifters does. I’m still working with toms tune to smooth outthe regular drive gear so I’m waiting on the steering wheel..

·
Registered
12 Posts
it says in the link. I think forscan creates a folder in documents and you just copy them into the folder it made.

sport mode drives with much higher RPM shifts. Primarily I use it for tworeasons. 1. When I’m driving under 15 mph, instead of the car jerking and being weird when I try to let go of the gas when people randomly brake, it just slowly engine brakes, and the RPMs slowly go down. MUCH smoother ride in trafficy areas.2. Over taking people and merging onto the highway. Since it keeps you in the higherRPM range, the car is ready to get going and feels much faster than when in drive.

I’m exciting to see how a pair of paddle shifters does. I’m still working with toms tune to smooth outthe regular drive gear so I’m waiting on the steering wheel..
OK, I placed the files in the location from the link you sent, but was thinking I then needed to move them some where specific for FORscan to use them. Glad that all ties in together. I have been using the Hill Assist button to control take off when driving in stop/go traffic, and that has helped minimize the stutter effect. I am glad I know how to drive a normal stick shift so I can keep an eye on the RPM's and then force the gear down with a brake double tap or use the hill assist for engine brake,but my wife is not so lucky, and she occasionally will drive my car instead of her Flex. She triggers the low speed/too high a gear stutter quite often; me not so much. I don't think my wife will get the hang of the paddle shifter either when I decide to add those in to the mix. Per chance do you have a step-by-step process worked out that is easy to follow for enabling the Sport Mode? Other than the ones previously posted?

·
Registered
18 Posts
OK, I placed the files in the location from the link you sent, but was thinking I then needed to move them some where specific for FORscan to use them. Glad that all ties in together. I have been using the Hill Assist button to control take off when driving in stop/go traffic, and that has helped minimize the stutter effect. I am glad I know how to drive a normal stick shift so I can keep an eye on the RPM's and then force the gear down with a brake double tap or use the hill assist for engine brake,but my wife is not so lucky, and she occasionally will drive my car instead of her Flex. She triggers the low speed/too high a gear stutter quite often; me not so much. I don't think my wife will get the hang of the paddle shifter either when I decide to add those in to the mix. Per chance do you have a step-by-step process worked out that is easy to follow for enabling the Sport Mode? Other than the ones previously posted?
connect ELM to car and to computer. Run forscan program, follow all of the prompts and get the car connected withforscan. on the left side tool bar look for the gears icon, click it. Scroll to main body config. Then you haveto load secondary boot loader MAKE SURE CAR IS CHARGED AND COMPUTER IS CHARGED AND ELM IS SECURELY CONNECTED!!!. Let it do its thing. If it fails at loading 1/6 blocks try it again. I thinkthis is all initiated by a play button on the bottom somewhere within main bodyconfig. Once you’re connected you’ll see the huge menu of editable items. at the top there is a drop down menu, go toengineering mode, scroll to select shift - do sportmode - don’t use land d option. Then write it with button at the bottom . It’ll load blocks again. Then itill finish. Go to toolbar on left side and go to DTCs and clear all.

before you write the select shift to the car, make a save as file for the car. Honestly can’t remember how I did that part though

·
Registered
12 Posts
connect ELM to car and to computer. Run forscan program, follow all of the prompts and get the car connected withforscan. on the left side tool bar look for the gears icon, click it. Scroll to main body config. Then you haveto load secondary boot loader MAKE SURE CAR IS CHARGED AND COMPUTER IS CHARGED AND ELM IS SECURELY CONNECTED!!!. Let it do its thing. If it fails at loading 1/6 blocks try it again. I thinkthis is all initiated by a play button on the bottom somewhere within main bodyconfig. Once you’re connected you’ll see the huge menu of editable items. at the top there is a drop down menu, go toengineering mode, scroll to select shift - do sportmode - don’t use land d option. Then write it with button at the bottom . It’ll load blocks again. Then itill finish. Go to toolbar on left side and go to DTCs and clear all.

before you write the select shift to the car, make a save as file for the car. Honestly can’t remember how I did that part though
Pretty straight forward enough. Wish it was the weekend already so I can play with this. Any other mods that are this simple and cool??

·
Registered
204 Posts
Pretty straight forward enough. Wish it was the weekend already so I can play with this. Any other mods that are this simple and cool??
If you get a second set of rims you can use Forscan to shut the tire monitoring system off. I did that and just check tire pressure for my winter tires with a gauge every once in a while.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
If you get a second set of rims you can use Forscan to shut the tire monitoring system off. I did that and just check tire pressure for my winter tires with a gauge every once in a while.

Nice!! Wasn't even aware that it had the low pressure warning setup. Ever play with the Mobile Apps feature of Sync? Have you gotten to work if you did?

·
Registered
166 Posts

Even better, shut of TPMS and turn on DDS which is the European system for monitoring tires The Deflation Detection System (DDS) takes a baseline of your tires (set in the Driver Information Display) and monitors change in rotation. If one tire is out of sorts then it alerts you. It's also as setting within the BCM which is off by default for North American cars.

If you have auto down windows (all 4, not just drivers) you can enable Global Windows to control the windows using your FOB. You can enable the European setting for fog lamps that allow you to run fog lamps and high beams (bambi mode). If manual transmission you can enable hill assist.

61 - 80 of 93 Posts