Focus Fanatics Forum banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
This was a very helpful thread. The whole process of removing the airbag safely, detaching the original steering wheel, and attaching the new one couldn't have went any better for me. I have read that it was a hassle for some to pry the two notches that hold the airbag but for me it took less than 60 seconds to do both. I simply had a small screwdriver and pried it towards the center of the steering wheel until there was a small click. Once I heard the click, that half of the airbag slid out like butter.

Special thanks to andresmorago for the guide to safely disabling the SRS. I was a bit worried about tampering with the airbag but following andresmorago's guide went perfect and no problems were encountered.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
so to understand correctly and to clarify, what steering wheels are compatible with a 2016 Base SE? I've seen a 2015 Escape; anything else?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Actually, the 2015 Ford Escape steering wheel does not fit with the 2016 base se. The 2017+ Ford Escape steering wheels will fit. Also the 2017+ Ford Kuga

·
Registered
335 Posts
Does this work with the MK3 focus (2012-2014)? I have a 2013 and would love to switch it to sport mode on the shifter.
I have a 2014 SE that I switched over. $30 for an OBDII USB adapter with MS/HS-CAN switch (for enabling Sport mode with FORscan) from Amazon, $20 for a shifter knob with Sport paddle and correct wiring from eBay, and about 45 minutes to take apart the center console, replace the knob, splice in the wiring, reassemble, and program with FORscan.

I'd you don't want to do any splicing, you could buy an entire shift assembly for $70-80.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
53 Posts
i have a 2014, and want to do this desperately. someone please just send me links of everything i need to order to do this. i will splice, or i will not splice, i really dont care either way, willing to do any work required, send me the links people

·
Registered
4 Posts
i have a 2014, and want to do this desperately. someone please just send me links of everything i need to order to do this. i will splice, or i will not splice, i really dont care either way, willing to do any work required, send me the links people
For a pre-facelift, you should be able to directly swap a 12-15 escape wheel with paddles directly. Just search on ebay. I couldn’t find one at the moment but they constantly pop up. Did it to my ‘15 and it was a direct swap. 12-16 should work with mk3.0 and 17+ works with mk3.5. Direct swap on facelifts. Shouldn’t be any wiring for you.

·
Registered
53 Posts
For a pre-facelift, you should be able to directly swap a 12-15 escape wheel with paddles directly. Just search on ebay. I couldn’t find one at the moment but they constantly pop up. Did it to my ‘15 and it was a direct swap. 12-16 should work with mk3.0 and 17+ works with mk3.5. Direct swap on facelifts. Shouldn’t be any wiring for you.

If this is the case, I will be doing it shortly. Just gotta figure out how to get sport mode instead of L haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
So I got the OBDii plug, I got sport mode working, and I ordered a shifter on eBay with the shift buttons, plugged it in and nothing, found out my 2014 focus SE hatch is missing the center pin for the shifter buttons, the 3 pin plug fits but the center pin isn't there. The stock shifter had a down hill button and it just had the outer two wires. Any idea if this is just ground or where I can find the 3rd wire? Tested the new shifter with a multimeter, the center pin gets shorted to one of thr outer pins when the button is pressed up or down.

Attachments

·
Registered
191 Posts
As far as I am aware Ford did not offer the 12-15 Escape with paddle shifters.

So for a Mk3 Focus with the round shaped wheel controls are there any options to have paddle shifters without changing to the later Mk3.5 steering wheel design?

I have a 2012 with S mode and shift buttons on the stick as stock. I just want to add paddle shifters without going to the newer style wheel if possible.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey, I know this is a really late response to the thread, but I'm trying this out on my 2015 Focus SE and did everything just as instructed, the only difference is my check engine light is on. I've cycled the ignition multiple times and no change is apparent. Everything seems exactly as you said here, but nothing has changed. Any ideas?

·
Registered
180 Posts
i would double check the components and wire connectors and make sure they go to what they should

for reference, i did a cloth/leather seat swap from a '13 to my '12, the seats had different pinout in the connectors, the belt buckle had 5 wires instead of 2, and the passenger pressure bag (ever being identical down to the part number) was somehow incompatible

had to dismount and transplant all this mess to get the airbags to come back online

·
Registered
18 Posts
After reading this thread I think I'll be doing the same for my '14 SE sedan. It'll probable be easier to find the selectshift shifter than to find a steering wheel with paddles that works on the '14 SE. Great thread!

·
Registered
1 Posts
When adding this feature, do I only need to get a OBDLink and get ForScan for my iPhone (lite vs paid make a difference?) and also when switching the shifter, do I only need the assembly with the buttons/PRNDS or do I need a wiring harness as well?

2013 SE BTW if that makes a difference!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #37

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
When adding this feature, do I only need to get a OBDLink and get ForScan for my iPhone (lite vs paid make a difference?) and also when switching the shifter, do I only need the assembly with the buttons/PRNDS or do I need a wiring harness as well?

2013 SE BTW if that makes a difference!
I'm not sure about the clockspring wiring in a 2013 (or its connection to the main harness. I did see where someone had to wire the connections from the shifter connections to the clockspring for a pre 2016 model. As far as Forscan goes, Forscan Lite won't do changes from your phone. You need Forscan on your computer. Look back a post or two. I posted a link that will get you what you need.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Bought an ELM327 from Amazon. Got a zip folder with a bunch of configuration files and put them where Forscan asked. (Secondary bootloader files)

Bought a 2018 Escape wheel and installed it. Then went into the Body Control Module çonfiguration and switched to select shift. The Save/load button is useless for me as it simply tells me it cannot save/load file.

So the car had me cycle the ignition. No huge list of DTC codes. During the procedure the car simply had little "i" light flashing, sync display above radio shut off. Forscan claimed the procedure was successful. I beg to differ. The L is still showing on my display.

Tried to get back into bdycm, and it told me two times in a row that it failed to load secondary boot loader (SBL) so now I can't even get back in.

Confused and frustrated. So far Forscan has gotten me nowhere. Paddles are useless right now. I expected a bunch of DTCs and working sport mode, and I got neither. My dash definitely didn't freak out. Defeated. Called it a night.

WTF.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
Bought an ELM327 from Amazon. Got a zip folder with a bunch of configuration files and put them where Forscan asked. (Secondary bootloader files)

Bought a 2018 Escape wheel and installed it. Then went into the Body Control Module çonfiguration and switched to select shift. The Save/load button is useless for me as it simply tells me it cannot save/load file.

So the car had me cycle the ignition. No huge list of DTC codes. During the procedure the car simply had little "i" light flashing, sync display above radio shut off. Forscan claimed the procedure was successful. I beg to differ. The L is still showing on my display.

Tried to get back into bdycm, and it told me two times in a row that it failed to load secondary boot loader (SBL) so now I can't even get back in.

Confused and frustrated. So far Forscan has gotten me nowhere. Paddles are useless right now. I expected a bunch of DTCs and working sport mode, and I got neither. My dash definitely didn't freak out. Defeated. Called it a night.

WTF.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using FF Mobile
I could be wrong but i think you need to swap out clocksprings too? I'm confused about the forscan issue but have you a friend with a focus you can connect the elm327 to? So at least we'll know if you just got a bad elm?

21 - 40 of 49 Posts