Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Add Sport Mode and Paddle Shifter to Base 2016 SE

55K views 132 replies 43 participants last post by  Focusaur 
#1 · (Edited)
Gave this topic a new title/thread so others might see it. I have a plain jane 2016 SE. The DTC transmission shifter only had PRNDL - with "L" being low. Using an OBDLink MX and FORSCAN (you can also use FOCCCUS), I added Sport mode (PRNDS).

Now my shifter only has the button to enable hill descent control (made useless by adding sport mode).

So, when surfing around, I saw Merillin's post on swapping steering wheels.
https://www.focusfanatics.com/forum...-se-dct-paddle-shift-steering-wheel-swap.html

Just like his SE, my column wiring harness had all the wiring. So, I bought a 2017 Escape steering wheel with the paddle shifters and swapped it. VOILA! I have functioning paddle shifters.

Merillin had an issue releasing the airbag. If you use a pick instead of a screwdriver, it comes off like a breeze. It fits directly onto the new wheel. I swapped the wheel including reconnecting the airbag in under 10 minutes. The only tools you need are a pick and a 24mm socket with a ratchet and an extender.

Now I have a leather steering wheel, sport mode and paddle shifters. Wahoo! Thanks Merillin!

Attachments

See less See more
#120 ·
It will most definitely work, just with a little work. Depending on if your connector for the steering by the blinker has the three corresponding wires to the TCM and if the hill assist button has the ground already run to it. If it does not you'll need molex connectors for the steering connector, wire, and wire taps. I've just done it myself today on a 2013 SE using a 2016 wheel with paddle shifts. Ran the new wires, and spliced them into the wires for the TCM at the connector.

#4 ·
Hi.
Thanks for the post. Loved the results. I have 2 questi9ns for you:

-could you please give me more details about the option I need to change on forscan in order to enable sport instead of low? I’d rather work with forscan instead of focccus
-when enabling sport instead of low, I believe the shifting points change compared to drive mode but it remains automatic. After installing the paddle shifter, how does the car know they were installed? Or by just keeping the car in S and manually shifting with the paddles, override the automatic shifting?

Thanks !

#5 · (Edited)
FORSCAN change to enable Sport Mode:

I did it on my 2016 SE Hatch. Connect via Forscan, select BdyCM (Central Configuration) under "Configuration and Programming". When you run that, your car will make all sorts of noises and flashes. Warnings will show up on your dash. Normal. Don't interrupt it. Follow the on-screen prompts. Once it runs, save your as built to your computer in case you screw it up. Change to "Engineering Mode" using the menu items available. Then go to the last item on the list (Shifter type), and change it to (select shift tech (SST) with thumb switch on gearshift. Hit save (or load).

Again, car will flash and make lots of noises. Don't panic. Let it finish. Then reset all the DTC's it creates. It will create a bunch. Done. You may need to cycle your ignition a couple of times to get it to work.

When you shift into sport mode, it is still an automatic, but with different shift points. It will also lock out sixth. When you add the paddle shifters, it does the same. If you hit a paddle, the shifters become active. It won't shift up until you do it. You can shift down when you want, but if you forget, it will do it automatically so you don't stall it. To go back to normal, shift to "D". If you want "automatic Sport Mode", just shift it back to "S" and don't touch the paddles.

#8 ·
Hi. reporting Back.
Downloaded the secondary boot loader from FORScan and ran the procedure per your instructions. Reading was ok, saved a backup, changed the parameter and write. Here it got tricker as it failed but forscan retried and successfully changed parameter.
Cleared dtc’s and started and stop car a couple times. Now S shows on IPC.

Now, I wait for the new steering wheel with paddles!

Thanks

Attachments

#125 ·
Hi. reporting Back.
Downloaded the secondary boot loader from FORScan and ran the procedure per your instructions. Reading was ok, saved a backup, changed the parameter and write. Here it got tricker as it failed but forscan retried and successfully changed parameter.
Cleared dtc’s and started and stop car a couple times. Now S shows on IPC.

Now, I wait for the new steering wheel with paddles!

Thanks
FORSCAN change to enable Sport Mode:

I did it on my 2016 SE Hatch. Connect via Forscan, select BdyCM (Central Configuration) under "Configuration and Programming". When you run that, your car will make all sorts of noises and flashes. Warnings will show up on your dash. Normal. Don't interrupt it. Follow the on-screen prompts. Once it runs, save your as built to your computer in case you screw it up. Change to "Engineering Mode" using the menu items available. Then go to the last item on the list (Shifter type), and change it to (select shift tech (SST) with thumb switch on gearshift. Hit save (or load).

Again, car will flash and make lots of noises. Don't panic. Let it finish. Then reset all the DTC's it creates. It will create a bunch. Done. You may need to cycle your ignition a couple of times to get it to work.

When you shift into sport mode, it is still an automatic, but with different shift points. It will also lock out sixth. When you add the paddle shifters, it does the same. If you hit a paddle, the shifters become active. It won't shift up until you do it. You can shift down when you want, but if you forget, it will do it automatically so you don't stall it. To go back to normal, shift to "D". If you want "automatic Sport Mode", just shift it back to "S" and don't touch the paddles.
Do you think I will have any luck using the hp tuners OBDLINK to USB cable for this job?
Also would these configurations require the extended license?
Eric.

#16 · (Edited)
Id like to share the official procedure in order to change the steering wheel. These procedures were taken from my car's service manual.
Disabling the SRS correctly is important to prevent accidents. The rest is pice of cake but it does have a proper procedure

Disable SRS
https://www.dropbox.com/s/u06stcieizkqhl3/1-Disable SRS.pdf?dl=0

Remove column shrouds
https://www.dropbox.com/s/t3lxuc1qu8me970/2-Remove column shrouds.pdf?dl=0

Remove driver airbag
https://www.dropbox.com/s/3nag2272e03iqqk/3-Remove DAB.pdf?dl=0

Remove steering wheel
https://www.dropbox.com/s/i9k40w3gy33dd29/4-Remove SW.pdf?dl=0

#17 · (Edited)
Hello

Upgrade is done! [headbang][wrenchin]

I took all the necessary precautions as mentioned in the service manual (see my last post).
Removing airbag is a real PITA! Those clips are very difficult to feel with a screwdriver. You dont need to do a hard pressure at all! Just play with them until you feel them.

Attached some pictures...dis-assembly, assembly, final result! [cheers]. Paddles have even leds!!

Stupid question: If i cleared al DTC's, can i assume the airbag is working properly?

Attachments

#19 · (Edited)
Hey
Quick question. After the steering wheel replacement, I’m seeing 3ohm on both driver airbag deploy stages. I can’t recall if before the change, i was supposed to see 2ohm. The rest of airbags do show 2ohm.

Should this be a concern? Should I disassemble and check connections?
There are NO active DTC’s

Thanks
[???:)]

Attachments

#21 ·
This was a very helpful thread. The whole process of removing the airbag safely, detaching the original steering wheel, and attaching the new one couldn't have went any better for me. I have read that it was a hassle for some to pry the two notches that hold the airbag but for me it took less than 60 seconds to do both. I simply had a small screwdriver and pried it towards the center of the steering wheel until there was a small click. Once I heard the click, that half of the airbag slid out like butter.

Special thanks to andresmorago for the guide to safely disabling the SRS. I was a bit worried about tampering with the airbag but following andresmorago's guide went perfect and no problems were encountered.

Attachments

#25 ·
I have a 2014 SE that I switched over. $30 for an OBDII USB adapter with MS/HS-CAN switch (for enabling Sport mode with FORscan) from Amazon, $20 for a shifter knob with Sport paddle and correct wiring from eBay, and about 45 minutes to take apart the center console, replace the knob, splice in the wiring, reassemble, and program with FORscan.

I'd you don't want to do any splicing, you could buy an entire shift assembly for $70-80.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

#26 ·
i have a 2014, and want to do this desperately. someone please just send me links of everything i need to order to do this. i will splice, or i will not splice, i really dont care either way, willing to do any work required, send me the links people

#27 ·
For a pre-facelift, you should be able to directly swap a 12-15 escape wheel with paddles directly. Just search on ebay. I couldn’t find one at the moment but they constantly pop up. Did it to my ‘15 and it was a direct swap. 12-16 should work with mk3.0 and 17+ works with mk3.5. Direct swap on facelifts. Shouldn’t be any wiring for you.

#29 ·
So I got the OBDii plug, I got sport mode working, and I ordered a shifter on eBay with the shift buttons, plugged it in and nothing, found out my 2014 focus SE hatch is missing the center pin for the shifter buttons, the 3 pin plug fits but the center pin isn't there. The stock shifter had a down hill button and it just had the outer two wires. Any idea if this is just ground or where I can find the 3rd wire? Tested the new shifter with a multimeter, the center pin gets shorted to one of thr outer pins when the button is pressed up or down.

Attachments