Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am hardwiring a radar detector using a "add a fuse". 2013 focus. Its the type that you take out a fuse, insert the original fuse in the new holder, then add a second fuse for the new item you are wiring in the second fuse position.

I tried fuse 69 (instrument cluster) and fuse 73 (data link connector). In these positions, my radar detector is on all the time with the car shut off. I want it to only come on when the car is on. Any idea what I am doing wrong?

Thanks

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,111 Posts
So then just use a fuse that is on when the car is on...Could always tie into the running lights, safety first!

I would have thought those fuses you chose would have worked.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
I cheat to find a good power location (when only a little is needed).

Test light to find the ones that are off with the key off, then see what turns on of those with the key on.

You can check a few at a time so you don't have to remember so many.

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,111 Posts
Ahh I think that is "safety restraint system" airbags basically.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just put it all back together...it was in the 80's for the radio and a bunch of other stuff...fyi....power is on the right hand side when looking at the fuse holder. You need to make sure what is added is going out to the left so if a short happens, it goes back thru the fuse.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I also suppose it's worth mentioning, since others seem to be interested in repeating this, that adding on a radar detector is fine. Tacking on another 20+ amp circuit to a factory fuse is not. While it's great you've added a fuse for your new circuit (whatever you're doing), you haven't upgraded the ignition wire to that factory fuse to handle the extra current draw. Again, a radar detector doesn't pull much. An outboard satellite radio doesn't pull much. A friggin 12VDC/120VAC power inverter does.

Just sayin.... be aware of what you're tacking onto the factory wire.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts