Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Focusless
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the Add-A-Circuit I bought.
It's called a Mini Add-A-Line by Buss Fuses.
On the package it says HHH Accessory. Use ATM 2-10 Amp Fuses.
http://www.amazon.com/Bussmann-BP-HHH-ATM-Add-A-Fuse/dp/B000GKEXK2

I don't have those two orange things in the picture.
My question is, what are those? Where can I get them? Do I need them to work this?

And then once I get them, where should I plug this into? Which slot in the fuse box?

Thank you to anyone who can help me out here, as I am a big n00b with this stuff :/

+Rep will be given out to helpful answers! Thanks!
- Spyder

·
Focusless
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This is the Add-A-Circuit I bought.
It's called a Mini Add-A-Line by Buss Fuses.
On the package it says HHH Accessory. Use ATM 2-10 Amp Fuses.
http://www.amazon.com/Bussmann-BP-HHH-ATM-Add-A-Fuse/dp/B000GKEXK2

I don't have those two orange things in the picture.
My question is, what are those? Where can I get them? Do I need them to work this?

And then once I get them, where should I plug this into? Which slot in the fuse box?

Thank you to anyone who can help me out here, as I am a big n00b with this stuff :/

+Rep will be given out to helpful answers! Thanks!
- Spyder

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
That may not be the right one for your Focus. Check the fuses that came with it. They have to be the same size as the ones in your car. Advance Auto Parts sells those things without the fuses.....they have one that fits a Focus.

In my '06, there were only a few places in the fuse box where this will fit. Depending on what sort of circuit you want, you just replace a fuse with this thing. You use your existing fuse in one slot, and a fuse for your new circuit in the second slot (the one with the wire coming off it). The wire is your new circuit.

If you want a line that is 12v all the time, you have to find the correct Focus fuse slot to use.

I'm using two of these.....I tapped into a Focus fuse slot that is only 12V when the ignition is on.

There are some fuses in the fuse box that are 12V with lights on, some fuses are 12V in the accessory position. You need to get a voltage probe, or just look in the owners manual......it'll tell which fuse controls which Focus circuit.

Good luck....

Reactions: _spyder

·
Focusless
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, that actually helps alot :]
I tried putting this in an empty slot, and it does fit. But I dont have any fuses, it didnt come with any. I would like it to power 12v when it is in the accessory position. So I have two questions:

On the package it says anywhere from 2-10 amps could be used for the fuses. I will be powering LEDs and I don't want to give them too many amps, so if someone could tell me how much, that would be great. I'm thinking about 5 amps? Idk, but how many amps should I use for the fuses?

And the second question:
Does anyone know which slot on a 2002 ZX3 will give power when it is the accessory position?

And +Rep for you bluefront :]

Thanks,
-Spyder

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
I never tried to find a fuse that was 12v in the accessory position.....maybe the radio fuse?

Since you'll only be running a few LEDs, probably a 5a fuse is all that is necessary. More than that won't hurt anything, but you want to use a fuse only with a slightly bigger current capacity than the maximum draw on that circuit.

·
Focusless
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay... 5a it is then :]

But does anyone with a 2002 ZX3 know which slot I could put it into so that it gives power when its in the accessory position?

Thanks!

·
Registered
117 Posts
im not tryin to be mean or put you down or anything spyder, but if u dont know what those orange things are, i would have someone assist you in adding that circuit to your car. if you mess up you could harm yourself, or screw up some of the electrical system in your car... why do you need to add a circuit? what accessory will you be adding?

·
Registered
345 Posts
im not tryin to be mean or put you down or anything spyder, but if u dont know what those orange things are, i would have someone assist you in adding that circuit to your car. if you mess up you could harm yourself, or screw up some of the electrical system in your car... why do you need to add a circuit? what accessory will you be adding?
[rant]
I would agree, make sure you know what amp fuses you need and where you're putting your add-a-fuse before doing anything. I have one in my car for my glow gauges, their not hard to put in you just have to know what you're doing.
[/rant]

Go to any auto parts store or wal-mart and they'll have the fuses.

·
Focusless
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, I know what fuses are.
I just didn't know how many amps I should get for the fuses because I don't want too many. I will just be using it for a few LED's, etc. Just some misc 12v accessories.
I'm thinking that I'll pick up two 5amp fuses.

But here is a question:
Do I take out a 5amp fuse in an existing spot, and then replace it with the add-a-circuit? Or do I put the add-a-circuit in an empty spot in the fuse box? Thank you.

·
Registered
345 Posts
You can put the add a fuse into any fuse slot. You just take out the fuse thats in there, put it into the slot that the instructions say to put it into and put the new fuse into the other. Then wire the power. I have my glow gauges in one of the parking lights fuses that way I can only turn them on if the parking lights have power going to them. (Are on)

·
Registered
349 Posts
I have a 2002 ZX3 and applied a face gauge using the parking light because I didn't want constant power going to it (it's either the 57 or 59 slot). Pull out the cover that leads to the fusebox and turn over. You'll see a diagram of what the slots/fuses are assigned to.
Now, I didn't use an add-a-line...I tried but I got so frustrated at the faulty gauge wire I got a new one and connected the spliced wire directly to the fuse/slot...now that I replaced the faulty, perhaps I use the add-a-line to avoid shorts...just in da case..
I believe the one I initially used was BP/HHA.
Don't know if that answered your question.

·
Registered
117 Posts
thats actually a really good idea noob... i have interior led's and i bought a switch from pepboys. it has 4 different outputs so that i can connect up to 4 different accesories. in the near future, like this weekend, i plan on buying the add a fuse and hooking up the lights directly to the fuse panel so that i can free up the spare cigarette outlet. I also am planning on adding more LED lights. i have one on each of the little covers rail for the seats on the front and the rear, one on the passenger side, i also have blue flamed pedal covers that light up. i never knew they sold the add a circuits, i would have been using them long ago.

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
I have a 2002 ZX3 and applied a face gauge using the parking light because I didn't want constant power going to it (it's either the 57 or 59 slot). Pull out the cover that leads to the fusebox and turn over. You'll see a diagram of what the slots/fuses are assigned to.
Now, I didn't use an add-a-line...I tried but I got so frustrated at the faulty gauge wire I got a new one and connected the spliced wire directly to the fuse/slot...now that I replaced the faulty, perhaps I use the add-a-line to avoid shorts...just in da case..
I believe the one I initially used was BP/HHA.
Don't know if that answered your question.

when you say the faulty gauge wire you mean the red wire with blue crimp on the end that comes attached to the add-a-fuse? i tried putting one of these in yesterday and that wire didnt work, so no power could get to my switch

1 - 15 of 15 Posts