Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I am looking around on www.turbokits.com and what do I find. I find a turbo kit for a stock B18C thats is suppose to put down 349 hp @ 9.5 psi. The kit also seems to be pretty cheap. Making me wish we could do that on the Focus. Here are the details of the kit. Let me know what you think.

Brand-Peak Boost
Desc-94-01 Acura Integra
Type-B Series
Status-Custom Order
Price-$3099

Here is the link to the kits http://turbokits.com/integra_turbo_kits.html

·
Registered
753 Posts
Don't believe everything you read.I went to the dyno yesterday with my neighbor who just installed a 383 stroker small block chevy in his pickup with aluminum heads,268 cam,headers etc. and after 5hrs. of dyno tuning,all he could get out of it was 200hp/276tq at the rear wheels.The motor shop swore the motor combo was good for 425hp. I am so sick of seeing dyno numbers thrown around like its a given,but in reality,fall far short of the real world figures.I have never seeen a dyno win a race.

·
Fords suck
4,412 Posts
Yeah, there seems to be a lot of BS going around. Just go with guys who know their stuff, like FocusSport, they seem to be rather acurate, since they do all their stuff in house.

·
Fords suck
4,412 Posts
Focus, gotta remember that we drive a better car than a Civic, we're rare in the Tuner scene, so there's less attention to the Foci. And remember, You Get What You Pay For.

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
Don't believe everything you read.I went to the dyno yesterday with my neighbor who just installed a 383 stroker small block chevy in his pickup with aluminum heads,268 cam,headers etc. and after 5hrs. of dyno tuning,all he could get out of it was 200hp/276tq at the rear wheels.The motor shop swore the motor combo was good for 425hp. I am so sick of seeing dyno numbers thrown around like its a given,but in reality,fall far short of the real world figures.I have never seeen a dyno win a race.
There must be something wrong.... that motor setup should be at least 100whp higher. Its gotta be something simple like valve adjustment, spark plug wiring/ firing order or something in the carb.... but thats SERIOUSLY way low power.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Nope,no broken dyno,no bad valves,no carb.We did three base pulls three weeks ago and it was lean in a few spots and rich in others.So,we scheduled a TBI chip programming guy to come in this time.He massaged the entire fuel trim,spark timing and tip-in tables.Base pulls were 175hp/255tq.After the custom tune,it moved up to 200hp/275tq. The dyno is not broken and the guys running it have been in business for many years with an excellent reputation.Just a case of advertised HYPE.I rarely see the numbers that most people expect to see.Truck runs strong,but thats what it is.I have also seen some high HP number dyno cars do poorly at the track as their power is too agressive or peaky and cannot be put down on the track.It is not all about who has the highest HP that wins the race.You have to be able to use it for it to be worth anything,other than bragging rights.Sure,I love BIG HP,but it has to be tractable to be of any good to me.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
if your 383 stroker small block chevy isn't topping 300/300, and you think nothing's wrong, you don't know how to build an engine and need to just leave it to someone who does.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I didn't build it, Dichead,and I just went along for the ride.The dyno shop did not feel the wheel HP was low for an automatic 4x4 truck as they routinely dyno vehicles.I was surprised by the numbers as well,but the guys running the shop said it was not abnormal at all,and most people don't really know what real life hp numbers are today as everyone is used to seeing these king kong numbers and they just aren't happening.While I was there,a few other guys had dynoed there cars, and all of them were shaking their heads,saying why didn't my "insert your car here" make 350hp like everyone said it would?When was the last time you dynoed your ride and I don't mean your BUTT dyno?Welcome to the real world.Yea,mabye he could get the numbers higher with a full dual exhaust system,but my neighbor chose to do headers into a Y pipe,hi-flow cat and into a Gibson exhaust.Like I said,I am just reporting what I saw with my own eyes.The truck is quick,but the dyno don't lie.If you would like to go onlike and check out the dyno shops website ....http://www.enhancedstreetperformance.com/ AND,like I said,don't believe everything you read today,as you are in for a world of disappointments.

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
Thats just weird... but I guess it could hapen.. I've seen Big Blocks that made less... but they were all stock.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Sometimes all the best parts put together still don't produce good results.I have seen it MANY times.I have a friend that many years ago built a 307 sbc that would EAT 350's,396's,402's.It wasn't supposed to,but it did.Plus,he could drive, and knew his car well.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I had a gt mustang with a 302 that was making over 300 rwhp w/o a poweradder, stroker, ect. just basic bolt ons. I dont beleive the 383 is at 200, something has to be really wrong with that motor.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
It is not all about who has the highest HP that wins the race.You have to be able to use it for it to be worth anything,other than bragging rights.Sure,I love BIG HP,but it has to be tractable to be of any good to me.
Itz not the hp that wins but the TQ, i just wish ppl would understand that.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Lets see the dyno on that 300hp 302.Oh,don't have one?That's what I thought.You can't just bolt on a set of heads that say they make 75hp,add a cam for 50hp,headers/exhaust 50hp and add all the numbers up to come up with 300hp.HAVE IT TESTED or you really don't know.Period.I would like to have a dollar for every time someone told me their car was making 350hp and could turn a 12 sec. 1/4,and when dyno day comes,it makes 230hp and they run a 14.5 sec run at the track.I'm not saying 300hp isn't possible out of a 302.My own 302 with a blower dynos at 485hp,BUT I paid to have it tested and tuned and the 1/4 mile times prove it out as well.Until you put it to the test,it's all BS.

·
Registered
753 Posts
^The shop said anywhere from 30-40% drivetrain loss (from flywheel hp) is the norm.I though that was high,but they see this stuff every day;I am inclined to believe them.As far as a pissing match,I'm just stating the facts.Period.SO many people spout off about what they THINK so-and-so's car has for HP,because they read it somewhere,or someone said that's what it gets,that they start to believe it themselves.It's just like all the advertising about HP numbers on add-ons.In a controlled enviorment,with perfect settings and the proper tuning,a lot of products do generate the gains advertised.BUT,out in the real world,bolted onto someone elses combination of components,the HP gains usually fall far short of the advertised numbers.That is how this whole thread started;a company advertising [email protected] if you bolt this onto your stock car.If only it were that easy.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts