Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just glancing through my Ford Focus brochure and was wondering which trim levels have the active shutter system, that opens and closes while you drive (I'm assuming its the shutters in front of the radiator)???

Is this an SEL/Titanium only option because I 've got the SE with the SE Sport package and am not entirely sure if I have this or not (as dumb as that sounds).

·
Registered
38 Posts
Your SE has grille shutters . I also have an SE sport. I'm averaging 43 mpg (imp) back and forth to work.[driving]

·
Registered
90 Posts
Use the search.

SE sedans, yes
SE hatch, no
Every other trim level, yes

SE hatch in PZEV states, yes
SE hatch in "cold" states, yes

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
I was under the impression that the active shutter was ONLY for the Super Fuel Economy package... atleast that's what I got out of it when reading the description for that package.

·
Registered
191 Posts
So many conflicting answers... One guy says yes and the next says no... One guy says only SFE and the next says multiple trim levels. I'm thoroughly confused. I still have no clue if my SE hatch with the Sport Package has the shutters and haven't had the chance to look for myself... Guess I'm going to have to look though since everyone here continues to seem befuddled... I will look in the morning before it hits 109 degrees again here in Fort Worth and post my findings when I can.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Info from Ford on the availability of the active grille shutters: USA market -

AGS is not a feature or free-standing option. Later this year, Active Grille Shutter will be standard across the board on Focus, however it must ramp-up to that level first. Currently, AGS is included in conjunction with the models, series, and/or features below:

* All SE 4 door models
* All Titanium 4 & 5 door models
* All models with "Green State" Emissions
* All models with the optional Winter Package (available SE, SEL, Titanium)
* All models equipped with the optional Engine Block Heater

As far as I found out for the Canadian market active grille shutters are on all Focus variants.

·
Registered
524 Posts
You can also verify whether or not you have AGS by putting your VIN into ETIS and checking the list of items.

·
Registered
724 Posts
The easiest way is to get down on your hands and knees and look in the grill. They are about 6" back from the grill and will be closed when
The engine is off. It will be quite obvious if you have them.

BTW, my SEL 5dr with winter pkg has them.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I verified I have AGS by looking through the front fascia. After parking I check. They're like Venetian blinds. Usually they're closed. But sometimes, after some spirited driving with the AC on, they're partially open.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Not on my SEL hatch no options. If the system was super cheap, I would install, but the benefit can't be worth more than $100 over 5 years (my guess). We run AC in Houston 2/3 of the year, so...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Not on my SEL hatch no options. If the system was super cheap, I would install, but the benefit can't be worth more than $100 over 5 years (my guess). We run AC in Houston 2/3 of the year, so...
Yea it's the same here in central Arkansas. My SE hatch don't have them and probably don't need them but it's always in the back of my mind ( could I be getting better mpg if I had them). Idk. I avg around 32 to 33 mpg a day with around 50/50 driving. I drive around 280 miles a day. The best I have got was 35.8. So I guess I will always wonder if I had them could I get that 40 mpg. Lol.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have them on my SE hatch, manual, no winter package. I ordered the engine block heater ($30) specifically to try and trigger the install- apparently it worked!

·
Registered
234 Posts
The fuel economy benefits are really supposed to be in tandem with the low rolling resistance tires and manual transmission. I doubt it even improves mpg by 1 on the other models.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I thought the shutter system would be more of a trim-level specific, rather than geographic location-specific. Like I thought the S model didn't have it, and it was available as an option on the SE model (like if you got the SE sport package or the SFE package). But it seems like it isn't quite that way.

In IL, it can get quite hot in the summer, and quite cold in the winter, so I'm betting I probably have it...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts